• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Isomalt

tan319

HQ,

Thank you for your expertize and the link. You have solved a problem that my wife is familiar with. She has reverted to pouring isomalt on aluminum foil but does not get the desired smooth surface.

Last year to obtain a perfectly smooth surface, she layed out a fresh sheet of Reynold's Wrap Release Non-Stick foil.

The resultant "window" was perfectly clear, bubble free and included the prominent logo reading Reynold's Wrap Release Non-Stick.

Thanks again,

Tim

Thanks HQ.

Now i have to go back and check if my local baking suppliers have one of this.

You have not mentioned the cloudy problem and the cutting (into neat line sharp edge)...do you also have any hint for that?

Thanks again, a whole lot.

iii

Are you in a high humidity area iii? If so, try adding glucose to your isomalt. Bring 1kg of isomalt to 170C, add 100g of hot glucose, bring it back to 170C. Let cool, then pour. The glucose should add some moisture protection.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean about the sharp edge bubble isomalt.

Are you in a high humidity area iii? If so, try adding glucose to your isomalt. Bring 1kg of isomalt to 170C, add 100g of hot glucose, bring it back to 170C. Let cool, then pour. The glucose should add some moisture protection.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean about the sharp edge bubble isomalt.

Yes...extremely humid!

I will try adding glucose then.

The sharp edge as referred to...is just a piece of rectangular bubbled isomalt with straight sharp rim like it was neatly cut...unlike the one when it is cracked ...broken from a big piece. ( hope this explantion gives better picture :sad:)

Thanks for your advice.

Thanks HQ.

You have not mentioned the cloudy problem and the cutting (into neat line sharp edge)...do you also have any hint for that?

iii

Hi,

Isomalt may be scored with a knife while it is cooling to make a sharp edge. The scored Isomalt may be broken just like glass.

You may also use a hair drier, heat gun, torch or microwave to soften the partially cooled isomalt to allow for trimming, polishing, shaping, bending or molding. It helps to use latex gloves to keep the surface clean and insulate from the heat.

Tim

Thanks HQ.

iii

Hi,

Isomalt may be scored with a knife while it is cooling to make a sharp edge. The scored Isomalt may be broken just like glass.

You may also use a hair drier, heat gun, torch or microwave to soften the partially cooled isomalt to allow for trimming, polishing, shaping, bending or molding. It helps to use latex gloves to keep the surface clean and insulate from the heat.

Tim

got to work and learn more with this...Thank you Tim.

Do you, or any of us here, ave advice on more reading or researching?

:unsure:

Just curious - why do you recommend adding glucose to isomalt if in a high humidity environment? Glucose is more hygroscopic than isomalt - isomalt has a VERY low tendancy to absorb moisture...it may be that the sorption therm changes at very high temperatures - i've never looked at it, so i don't know - but am curious to learn what your experience/observations have been in comparing the two (w/ and w/o glucose)..

The glucose 'recipe' was one given to me while in school and I've really not bothered to think about it too much till now. I guess my take on it is that isomalt opacifies as a result of moisture while glucose doesn't. So adding glucose does increase the hygroscopicity of the piece, but also increases the overall tolerance to humidity (visually).

And my very basic question that I can't find in this topic - how do you color it? Is it just any liquid colorant...what about the gel colors.

What I'm trying to do is live my dystopian dream and play off dystopiandreamgirl's recent buches. I want to create a juniper branch (cluster of needles) by pouring the isomalt into crushed ice. So, first, how do I color it, and second, do I pour when its hot and thin v. the conversation above about pouring it as cold as possible?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
And my very basic question that I can't find in this topic - how do you color it?  Is it just any liquid colorant...what about the gel colors.

What I'm trying to do is live my dystopian dream and play off dystopiandreamgirl's recent buches.  I want to create a juniper branch (cluster of needles) by pouring the isomalt into crushed ice.  So, first, how do I color it, and second, do I pour when its hot and thin v. the conversation above about pouring it as cold as possible?

Thanks

just now saw this post (a little late)...usually coloring isomalt is done with powdered colors. this way, you don't cause crystallization of the product (even isomalt can crystallize) and it doesn't affect the water content after cooking which would happen if adding a liquid color.

Thanks Baggy. much appreciated. Checked MSK but they where a bit expensive for the quantities I was looking for - just found some in a catalogue from Vin Sullivan foods which looks better value.. :smile:

RocketChef, I got mine from MSK Food Ingredients – they were happy to set me up with an account, even though I buy very occasionally.

Edited by RocketChef (log)

Its only food...!

• 11 months later...
Isomalt, poured hot, onto silicon will cause those bubbles to appear. The idea is to pour it when it's as cold as possible but still manageable. You may still get bubbles but a quick pass over with a blow torch will cause those to disappear. Poured isomalt or sugar tends to take on the appearance of the contact surface too, so it may be worth getting something like this. I suppose it's just a heat resistance piece of vinyl but I'm not too sure. I do know though, that if you're going to do that, that you really want a piece of baking paper between the vinyl and the table/workspace... I learned that the hard way  :wacko: .

What if you het the silicon? Whould that help (I can try of course but not at the moment, and curious as I am :) )

Isomalt, poured hot, onto silicon will cause those bubbles to appear. The idea is to pour it when it's as cold as possible but still manageable. You may still get bubbles but a quick pass over with a blow torch will cause those to disappear. Poured isomalt or sugar tends to take on the appearance of the contact surface too, so it may be worth getting something like this. I suppose it's just a heat resistance piece of vinyl but I'm not too sure. I do know though, that if you're going to do that, that you really want a piece of baking paper between the vinyl and the table/workspace... I learned that the hard way  :wacko: .

What if you het the silicon? Whould that help (I can try of course but not at the moment, and curious as I am :) )

That'd make it worse. ;) It's the heating of the silicone that makes it give off gas. The bubbles are coming from the silicone, not from the Isomalt. The Isomalt is just trapping them.

250F seems to be the magic temperature. If I let my Isomalt syrup cool to 250 before pouring into silicone molds, I don't get the bubbles.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith