• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aoyama (and area) recommendations?

HKDave

Well, I've done all my foodie research for my upcoming week-long Tokyo trip based on the fact that I'd be staying in Shiodome, an area I've been to before and where I (sort-of) know my way around.

But now I find at the last minute - I leave this weekend - that I won't be in Shiodome at all. I'll actually be spending the week in Aoyama, an area I've never been to and know nothing about. Does anyone have any quick restaurant recommendations for Aoyama or nearby? I'm primarily looking for smaller local places that do one thing well; noodle shops (especially soba, but also raman in general), gyoza or onigiri places, or even good hamburger joints. I don't mind walking some distance for a good meal.

I'm also looking for a chanko restaurant that won't look horrified if just one gaijin+girlfriend shows up for dinner; I'm thinking about Waka in Roppongi for that because, well, it's owned by Wakanohana and it's closer than going to Ryogoku. Anyone tried it? Slightly off topic, I'm also looking for rock bars, because HKDave does not live by food alone.

Sabatini Pizza (why is it you can't get decent pizza in Hong Kong?) and Maisen (katsu) are already on my list, and from what I can figure, are in the neighbourhood.

Thanks in advance.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Since you don't seem to be looking for fancy places maybe I can be of some help. :biggrin:

One of my favorite bakeries in Japan is in Minami Aoyama, if you need a quick breakfast or lunch or just a place to relax for it bit head to Andersen. It is just outside Omotesando station (exit B3) and consists of 4 flours. B1 is the deli/sandwich bar, first floor is the bakery and the restaurant is on the 2 and and 3rd floors.

For a wonderful hamburger I recommend Kua 'Aina, here is a good map for the Minami Aoyama location. This is their homepage if you want to check out the menu, in case you aren't familiar with them.

A restaurant my husband really loves (I have yet to actually get there :sad: ) has two branches in the area. Umeiya is a Chinese restaurant famous for their hito kuchi gyoza (one bite gyoza) in garlic and shiso flavors.

This map (first one) shows both locations, using Kua 'Aina as a reference point...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thanks, Kristin! You're right, I'm not really looking for fancy places; no shortage of those here in HK, at equally surreal prices.

I'll definitely try Kua Aina. And I saw the review of Umeiya on Bento.com, so on the basis of that and your husband's recommendation, I'll definitely add them to the list. BTW, the map link in your post doesn't seem to work, but no problem. I can find the place.

I'm pretty well set now... I've also added Lauburu (the Basque pork place) to my list for a big gaijin night out.

Now all I'm still looking for is nearby noodles etc for quick lunches... is Aoyama too classy to have any good raman/soba joints? I don't mind trekking slightly further afield.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Now all I'm still looking for is nearby noodles etc for quick lunches... is Aoyama too classy to have any good raman/soba joints? I don't mind trekking slightly further afield.

Mist (http://www.bento.com/rev/2484.html) in Omotesando Hills does nice ramen.

Waka in Shibuya is much closer than the Roppongi branch.

Edited by thelobster (log)