• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese in a pie crust?

emilyr

I was watching Pushing Daisies tonight (my new favorite show - and great pie shots every week!), and Chuck made her cheese loving aunts (she grew up with them calling the fridge the "cheese box") an apple pie with monastery cheddar cheese in the crust. Last week she made a pear pie with a gruyere crust (pear gruyere :biggrin: hee hee).

I'm just wondering if this would be possible. I'm assuming you'd have to use a fairly soft cheese. Or maybe just something well grated. Would you need to decrease some of the fat in the original recipe to compensate for the cheese? Or increase the flour?

Mmmm . . . I'm just imagining something like a grape pie with a nice brie crust or a mushroom quiche with an asiago crust.

Thanks in advance for help wtih this!

Emily

PS - I love this show - they just referenced They Might Be Giants - "build a little birdhouse in your soul!" - :laugh: - love it!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I've wrapped a meatloaf in a spicy cheddar cheese crust, so sure, you could try it with pie. The recipe I used is in the Pie and Pastry Bible, and I'm pretty sure it used grated cheddar cheese in the dough.

Thanks everybody! I'm so excited to try this out. I'm already not the greatest crust maker in the world, so I'm glad to find out that this won't throw a major kink in the works.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Yeah, I make her cream cheese pie dough a lot, though it doesn't taste cheesy. Just a slight tang. Her crusts all also call for cider vinegar in addition to the water, so that contributes to the tanginess too, I think.

Edited by plk (log)

I've become a fan of Pushing Daisies too-- check out the Television Without Pity forums for fans chiming in on the food of PD (they even share recipes-- and someone wrote in a Gruyere and Pear pie).

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/in...0entry9137405

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Yeah, I make her cream cheese pie dough a lot, though it doesn't taste cheesy. Just a slight tang. Her crusts all also call for cider vinegar in addition to the water, so that contributes to the tanginess too, I think.

Somebody mentioned cider vinegar in pie crust and insisted it has to be cider vinegar.

Let's see I have cider vinegar, cheddar cheese and two dozen apples. What will I do?

*throws equipment in freezer, salivating already*

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats