• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried YACON...Yes with a Y

GlorifiedRice

http://www.navitasnaturals.com/product-inf...acon-power.html

I bought a bag of these at the Health Food Store and the bag says it tastes like a cross between apple and watermelon. I smelled them, I cant bring myself to actually put it in my mouth. Anyone taste these?

Brief Description from the site:

"Yacón is grown in the Andes, thrives in high mountain valleys and produces a dense root system loaded with minerals, vitamins and complex chemicals. "

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I have diabetes, type 2, and systolic hypertension, and I am pretty sure I am a sensitive person.

I would like to know a bit more about it. A Seeds of Change article says it is related to the sunflower. I wonder if the yacon has the same GI effects as sunchokes........

Yacon.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yacon was a bit of a fad here in Japan for a while, and can still be found fresh in supermarkets now and again, but to me it tastes unpleasantly of dahlias (they are related).

Does the dried root have the same harshly aromatic taste? (Maybe I'm asking the wrong question - people often say yacon is almost tasteless apart from some sweetness, but I don't find it so).

Yacon and sunflower roots both have some inulin, and it was researched here in the '90s, but reading about it in Japanese, I get the impression that inulin content is not as high as researchers originally expected.

In Japan, the focus these days is more on the high galacto-oligo saccharide content - this type of sugar is supposed to favor "good" intestinal flora. I don't know what the other health benefits are.