• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a chili recipe cookbook

Jan Primus

Are there any recommended books out there with only chilli recipes? I love eating chilli at Mom's but have never made it myself...I'd like to get several recipes in one book to try, thanks.

You could start by checking out the recipes in RecipeGullet (top of page) or go to epicurious.com to check out recipes there. Either would be cheaper than buying a book. :smile:

Edited to add:

We even have a chili cook off topic!

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd strongly recommend Bill Bridges' "The Great American Chili Book" - very readable on the history, and full of interesting recipes ranging all the way from 'meat, fat and peppers' to elaborate 'West Coast' things :wink:

You'll have to pick it up used, I think, but it seems to be easy to find that way.

cheers

Derek

Another great book, although not exclusively focused on chile is Robb Walsh's "The Tex Mex Cookbook". There are at least 10 chile recipes in the book as well as many other great Tex Mex recipes.

I also like Jamison and Jamison's "The Border Cookbook" for chili recipes and more.

Out of curiosity, I searched for "chili" on Amazon and found many books!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Another great book, although not exclusively focused on chile is Robb Walsh's "The Tex Mex Cookbook".  There are at least 10 chile recipes in the book as well as many other great Tex Mex recipes.

I also like Jamison and Jamison's "The Border Cookbook" for chili recipes and more.

Out of curiosity, I searched for "chili" on Amazon and found many books!

Thanks...I'm starting to find stuff now that I'm spelling it with one "L".

Another classic for Chile recipes is "Texas on the Halfshell" by Phil Brittin and Joseph Daniel. There are over 25 prize winning recipes for Chile along with a great collection of other texmex dishes. I have tried 5 or 6 of the recipes and they all turned out fantastic!

Not sure if it is still inprint but it is considered the bible by some for real Texas chile.

• 2 weeks later...