• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ducca or Rose Pistola

Amy Viny

Any comments on either Ducca or Rose Pistola for dinner? I'm interested in both but would love to hear from those in the know. With just a limited number of dinners which is the better choice, or would you choose another restaurant.We are already booked at Ame, Jardiniere, and Poleng Lounge. Also any other must do foodie experiences in S.F. We are also thinking of making the trip to Berkley is it worth the trip--we have already visited Chez Paniese many times. THANKS!

I'm afraid I can only make a one-sided suggested as I have not been to Ducca -- but have been to Rose Pistola a number of times and continue to return.

Curious where you are coming from and what you are looking for though? It would be silly to recommend Japanese if you are coming from Los Angeles as their's are better than what San Francisco has to offer.

"Better" is subjective and right now the "hot" Italian-esque restaurants are Incanto and A16.

The obvious other foodie experiences in SF is the much-lauded Ferry Plaza on a Saturday morning. You will see multiple posts on the subject.

Carolyn--thanks for your reply. I enjoy reading your posts. We're from Cleveland and visit every couple years. Have hit several S.F. restaurants and Ferry Mkt. plaza but usually we spend most of our time in Napa or Sonoma. We're interested in great food (Italian, Asian, and more) at any price point. What would you recommend? I know Rose Pistola isnt' new but we once had a fantastic meal at Lulu (sister restaurant?) and thought it might also be wonderful--and a value. I stumbled across their menu and it seemed interesting. Oh BTW I thought A16 was mostly pizza--is it more?

Amy - A16 is much more than pizza - pasta and entrees and salumis. Because of his Iron Chef fame, Chris Cosentino has been getting a lot more attention for his Incanto restaurant. It is becoming the darling of the city and I would heartily recommend getting reservations there -- also, if you are remotely game (no pun intended) pre-order the Fifth Quarter for the entire table; five courses of offal-based dishes. I have only previously eaten off the menu and enjoyed his duck testicles and dried, cured tuna heart, but am going to be doing the Fifth Quarter meal in a few weeks myself (I had to wait until adventurous friends were visiting!)

Another rarity, then, for Clevelanders would be Burma Superstar or Mandalay Bay Burmese. I like both for different things but it is so amazingly different than the standard Chinese/Asian food and will be wholly different than anything else you've tasted. Caveat - I have not been to Poleng Lounge so there may be *some*similarities there.

Edited to add -- I continually take first-time visitors to San Francisco to Aziza and so far, it has lead to many congratulations and thanks. For the price and quality, this is my "special place" in the city that consistently wows folks.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

"Better" is subjective and right now the "hot" Italian-esque restaurants are Incanto and A16.

I would add Perbacco to that and perhaps La Ciccia as well.

I also second Aziza and think it's a fantastic value for the great flavors and very high quality. Also a pretty unique restaurant with dishes you won't find everywhere, as well as fantastic desserts and cocktails.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I'm a big fan of the food at Incanto, Perbacco is also reasonably good but I only really eat there for lunch since it's a convenient place to have a work lunch. I haven't been to Ducca yet, but they use great ingredients so they've got a leg up on a number of restaurants at that price point around the city. Yamo is the place to go for Burmese food, Larkin Express Deli is also good. I'm not a Burma Superstar fan.

I'm a big fan of the food at Incanto, Perbacco is also reasonably good but I only really eat there for lunch since it's a convenient place to have a work lunch.  I haven't been to Ducca yet, but they use great ingredients so they've got a leg up on a number of restaurants at that price point around the city.  Yamo is the place to go for Burmese food, Larkin Express Deli is also good.  I'm not a Burma Superstar fan.

disclaimer i am acquainted with the sous chef, I believe ducca is putting out some fantastic food and some good value, considering the ingredient sources and portion sizes, i havent been to rose pistola but ducca is great

I've eaten at Rose Pistola once, years ago, and don't find it very memorable. I ate at Incanto and Perbacco more recently, and highly recommend both. I remember lovely sweetbreads, succulent headcheese, and a perfect tagliatelle with lamb sugo at Incanto, and some wonderful salumi, braised beef, and rabbit at Perbacco.

Bill