• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brett Anderson's Top 10

TAPrice

I understand that, but considering it was closed for only a short time while they were moving, wouldn't at least a note indicating this be in order? It's one thing if the restaurant wasn't yet open, or was closed indefinitely. Iris closed for a short time, with an intent to reopen as soon as they moved.

It just seems unfair to preclude such a fantastic restaurant unnecessarily.

I understand that, but considering it was closed for only a short time while they were moving, wouldn't at least a note indicating this be in order?  It's one thing if the restaurant wasn't yet open, or was closed indefinitely.  Iris closed for a short time, with an intent to reopen as soon as they moved.

It just seems unfair to preclude such a fantastic restaurant unnecessarily.

For some reason he's never ranked it among the top since it's opened.

It's also not clear that Iris can maintain the quality. It's a much a bigger place. I hope they do, but there isn't a guarantee.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

• 2 weeks later...
Please, please knock on wood after saying that.  Iris is one of my absolute favorites.  I'll be devastated if they start going downhill.

I think you're safe. The dining room isn't really all *that* much bigger, and they've basically ported all of the staff.

I'd put them in my top ten list too, though my "top ten" would probably end up being 15 restaurants deep...

My only criticism of Brett's list over the years was the inclusion of Emeril's, where I hadn't had a really good meal in 15 years. But to be fair, I stopped going after a few mediocre, expensive trips some years back. A friend whose opinion I respect recently went to Delmonico, and enjoyed it, so maybe I should give it a shot.

A friend whose opinion I respect recently went to Delmonico, and enjoyed it, so maybe I should give it a shot.

I am a flat out fan of Delmonico. My SO is nuts about it, and she knows her way round restaurants all over the world, both as an operator and a diner, and it's gotten to be a habit. The tartare is as good as it gets and the "12 oz" beef filet generally is about the size of an elephant filet and perfectly cooked. Whatever the grilled fish is has never disappointed either.

I like the service, alot, and I wish that they were busier on a regular basis. I seem to end up there on weeknights and it's never very busy. Certainly this helps out with really good service (though not overattentive-which I appreciate. That whole " two sips of water and a refill is immediate" thing kind of drives me nuts). Both of the wine stewards (#2 is a relatively young man who knows his stuff really well. He has a particular like for big Spanish reds, one of my old favorites) know what they are doing and don't attempt to oversell. Also, they don't overpour just to see if you will cough up for another bottle. Nice touch.

It's also conveniently right on the streetcar route, so for Downtown tourists, it's really convenient.

Also, given the food and the service, it is not overpriced in the least. A good bargain, overall, and somewhere I highly recommend.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

A friend whose opinion I respect recently went to Delmonico, and enjoyed it, so maybe I should give it a shot.

I am a flat out fan of Delmonico. My SO is nuts about it, and she knows her way round restaurants all over the world, both as an operator and a diner, and it's gotten to be a habit. The tartare is as good as it gets and the "12 oz" beef filet generally is about the size of an elephant filet and perfectly cooked. Whatever the grilled fish is has never disappointed either.

I like the service, alot, and I wish that they were busier on a regular basis. I seem to end up there on weeknights and it's never very busy. Certainly this helps out with really good service (though not overattentive-which I appreciate. That whole " two sips of water and a refill is immediate" thing kind of drives me nuts). Both of the wine stewards (#2 is a relatively young man who knows his stuff really well. He has a particular like for big Spanish reds, one of my old favorites) know what they are doing and don't attempt to oversell. Also, they don't overpour just to see if you will cough up for another bottle. Nice touch.

It's also conveniently right on the streetcar route, so for Downtown tourists, it's really convenient.

Also, given the food and the service, it is not overpriced in the least. A good bargain, overall, and somewhere I highly recommend.

Thanks Brooks, I'll add another person to the list of "folks I respect who like Delmonico." How do you feel about Emeril's flagship joint on Tchoup?

Very nice review of MiLa by Mr. Anderson. Based on this I would not be surprised to see this restaurant on next year's list. Interestingly, Mr. Anderson dined at Mila the night I was there. I had an outstanding meal and look forward to returning.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 11 months later...

Brett Anderson's 2009 dining guide hits the streets tomorrow (or today if your deliveryman drops half the Sunday section a day early). Here is the new top 10 list in alphabetical order.

2009 Top Ten List

Commander's Palace

Emeril's Delmonico

Del Porto

Galatoire's

Gautreau's

Herbsaint

Lilette

MiLa

Restaurant August

Stella

Changes from last year: Commander's returns for first time since 2003; Lilette, which only failed to make the list in 2008, is back; enter MiLa; exit Bayona, Brigtsen's and Cochon.

Any opinion on the departures?

[Full disclosure: I freelance for the TP and did the "Chefs to Watch" interviews in the restaurant guide. I've never asked Brett about the selection process, however, and can offer no insider insights.]

I am starting to think that a top ten list is a bad idea and that the community would be better served by a system of descending beans/stars. As TA noted a few years back, its not even clear how many beans each of the top ten has been awarded. There really should just be a top tier and then a larger second tier, seems like the difference between the tenth and eleventh best restaurant is pretty meaningless. ch

My feelings on this have a lot to do with recent shifts in my personal attitude toward restaurants. I look at that list and it's all I can do to stay awake.

Also, upon reading Mr. Anderson's explanation of the list, I have no clear idea what he intends the list to represent. He admits it would look a lot different if he were to choose his personal favorites, and he states that "[t]hey are all white-tablecloth restaurants fulfilling high ambitions. They all either are owned by or employ a chef who is proving his or her mettle with cooking that reinforces New Orleans' reputation as a restaurant destination."

This, to me, possesses a crucial flaw: New Orleans is not really a highbrow restaurant destination. Tourists (and locals) care more about where they're going to grab a po boy for lunch than celebrity chefs and temples of gastronomy. Thus, the top 10 list isn't really representative of New Orleans food. If it described itself as a top ten white table cloth list, that would seem more appropriate. As it stands, it misses the mark for me.

I disagree that New Orleans is not a restaurant destination, and that tourists and locals are only interested in their next poboy. Look at any of the now numerous travel/food websites and New Orleans will be listed, Atlanta won't be listed, it will simply be part of the South, ditto Houston, Dallas, Memphis, Nashville, Charlotte, Phoenix, Denver, etc.. We are extraordinarlily blessed with the number of restauarnts serving seriously good food. In fact I would venture to say that on a per capita basis, we would be no. 1 in the world. ch

I realized afterwards that I would have liked that to come across differently. Too tired to fix it last night. What I meant is that I feel as though people do not expect cutting edge, pushing the envelope stuff when they come here. They may come for Galatoire's, Commander's, etc., but I don't imagine they plan such visits because a cutting edge chef is operating on all cylinders in such a place. Right or wrong, I get the sense that New Orleans is a food destination as a unit, and not because of individual chefs or restaurants.

I agee that people decide to come here largely on our reputation for good food, but the internet has become so pervavsive that I think almost anyone who has the money to spend at a Galatoires or a Commanders is doing their due diligence and seeing where to go before they get here. And people like Besh, Link, and Emeril of course, are attracting attention and people are coming down to see what they have to offer, or at least learning that should give them a try as well. Personally, I am really glad to see that poeple are willing to spend the money to open a new restaurtant that has nothing to do with our creole or cajun heritage. That's a pretty new phenomenon, and one that seems to be excelerating. Back when Mr. B's opened, and Marti's, and Gautreau's and Clancy's as well, they created a big buzz, becuase the chefs were offering a new spin on the old New Orlean's classics, now they seem like the old stoggy places. ch

• 1 year later...

Brett Anderson just released his top 10 restaurants for 2010. Here they are, in alphabetical order:

Cochon

Commander's Palace

Emeril's

Gautreau's

Herbsaint

Lilette

Patois

Restaurant August

Ristorante del Porto

Stella!

Changes from the 2009 list include:

Exit Emeril's Delmonico, MiLa and Galatoire's. I didn't review the whole thread, but I'm pretty sure Galatoire's has been in the top 10 since Brett started this dining guide.

Cochon (with Cochon Butcher include) and Lilette return. I believe Lilette has always been in the top 10 with the exception of 2008.

Patois was the one newcomer to the top 10.

[Disclosure: I freelance for the Times Picayune, although I didn't back when I started this thread. I know Brett well, but I don't ask him about his reviewing and have no insights to offer.]

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is the 2011 list http://www.nola.com/dining-guide/index.ssf/2011/10/new_orleans_top_10_restaurants.html

• Bayona
  • Clancy's
  • Cochon
  • Domenica
  • Emeril's
  • Gautreau's
  • Herbsaint
  • La Petite Grocery
  • Patois
  • Restaurant August

Now let's say I only had one night I was sure to be able to commit to a long, leisurely dining event. What would I choose? Something not on this list, even?

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit