• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rome Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

mogsob

Rome is quite expensive indeed. Although I do like the more expensive La Pergola, in another price category you can find nice restaurants like:

Ditirambo

Piazza della Cancelleria 74

0039 06 6871626

If you want to taste nice wines (less go there for the food):

Cul du Sac

Piazza Pasquino 73

06 68801094

More trendy:

Campo

64 Piazza della Cancelleria

06/68301162

Nice but only vegetarian:

Margutta, Il

Via Margutta, 118

06-32650577

More traditional and filled with many Romans but quite good:

Dal Toscano al Girarrosto

Via Germanico 58

And not bad either, more traditional:

Paris

Piazza San Calisto 7/A

(PS: some of them I haven't visited in recent times, so I don't know hwo they are now.)

Edited by paulbrussel (log)

I totally agree, Rome have turned an expensive city, especially after the Euro coming most of the cheap restaurants have doubled their prices (but luckily osterie and trattoria are still cheap)... so ,two cheap restaurants:

In central area, very close to Trevi fountain there is Ristorante l'Archetto with a huge choice of spaghetti (via Natal del Grande, 38)

Another one, between Piazza del Popolo and Piazza di Spagna is Ristorante Il brillo parlante ( http://www.ilbrilloparlante.com/ also in English), via della Fontanella, 12.

But maybe one of the best in Rome if we are talking about quality/price relation is Ristorante Giuda ballerino, Via Marco Valerio Corvo 135 Tel. 06/71584807. It's in a suburb, but it's very original (they are devoted to comics and they have a comics library inside). You can choose the sampling menu or from menu a la carte. Here is an example of a sampling menu:

Tortino di patate e polpo con crema di olive Taggiasche

(potatoes and octopus cake with cream of olive

Involtino di radicchio al vino rosso con spigola

Red cabbage in red wine sauce with seabass

Terrina di Faraona con pistacchi e cognac.

Guinea fowl terrine with pistachos and cognac

Maltagliati di nero di seppia con calamari, pomodoro e origano

Black maltagliati (made with cuttlefish ink) with squids, tomatoes and oregano

Risotto con asparagi, salame rosa Pasquini e ricotta affumicata a freddo al fumo di ginepro

Risotto with asparagus, pink salami juniper smoked ricotta

Controfiletto d’agnello con fegato grasso d’oca e tartufo estivo

Lamb fillet with foie grase and summer truffle

Selezione di formaggi

cheese selection

Piccola pasticceria

Pastries

Millefoglie di croccante di mandorle con crema ai lamponi e frutti di bosco freschi

Crunchy almonds Millefoglie with raspberries and fresh beries

Pralineria

Pralines.

The bill: 44 Euro(!). I don't know if they are open in August.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just returned from a long weekend in Rome. The tips offered on previous threads on this board were extremely useful - thanks to everyone.

I did want to share one delicious experience I had that I don't think has been mentioned here before, namely the animelle fritti (sp?) at La Matricianella on Via del Leone just off the Via del Corso.

These were delicious little balls of lambs' sweetbreads, deep-fried in an excellent batter that reminded me of tempura. The deep-frying made the offal melt in the mouth, like deep-fried cheese or roe, but with the rich flavour of sweetbreads. These were wonderful - even better than the grilled lambs' sweetbreads at the Angel Mangal in London (see London Board passim) - high praise indeed...

Edited by Stigand (log)

• 3 weeks later...

My dinner last night at La Rossetta was mixed. The spagetti with shrimp, zucchini flowers, and percorino wasnt in the top 10 pastas I've had in the last 3 weeks. Or even top 15. At 30 euros, it should have been.

On the other hand, the scorpion fish with onions, spinach, lobster medallions and shellfish was the best main course I had in Italy this trip, and second only to an appetizer in Venice. Even though the lobster medallions were not medallions, just pieces.

Service was weak. On the other hand, they had some a good selection of wine in 375 mls.

beachfan

La Rosetta is the only restaurant that I know in Italy where pasta is the weakest course. I would recommend skipping it. The mixed appetizers along with one of their whole fish preparations makes a wonderful meal.

Edited by marcus (log)

La Rosetta is the only restaurant that I know in Italy where pasta is the weakest course.  I would recommend skipping it.  The mixed appetizers along with one of their whole fish preparations makes a wonderful meal.

I completely disagree. I like the pasta at la Rosetta -- but only the pasta asciutta, the fresh pasta is a bit indifferent.

In particular I thought the dish mentioned above -- which when I had it last year was with scampi not shrimp, was very good. The sharpness of the pecorino worked very well with the sweetness of the scampi. Perhaps it's not so good with shrimp. Some people of course don't like pasta. (pulling on my flameproof underwear :raz: ).

I agree about the antipasti (stellar) and the service (mediocre and not particularly friendly).

• 4 weeks later...

I am heading to Rome at the end of November and my travel agent suggestd the St Regis Grand. It was recently renovated, which is great, but I am unsure about the location. Any opinions?My gut says it may be good for business, but it is a pretty far walk from everything. I have always stayed a little closer to the Spanish Steps which I found to be a good location. Thanks....ed

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

The St. Regis Grand is a very good choice although the location is not ideal (although still within a short cab ride to most destinations). Your instinct is correct that this is a good hotel to conduct business at given the expertise in such area that the hotels owner (Starwood) has in such area relative to other hotels in Rome. Other hotels to consider:

- De Ruissie- Centrally located with a modern interior compared to the plush interior you would find at the St. Regis (to each their own). The interior courtyrad provides a welcome respite from the outstide world. I find the De Ruissie to be a better hotel for leisure travel than it is for business.

- Eden-North of the main action but still centrally located. People I know have mixed reviews of this hotel. While the service is excellent, the room quality is inconsistent, especially on the lower end.

-Hassler-A bit past its prime for the prices charged but still a good choice for those looking for a central location and old-world ambiance. Design is closer to the St. Regis than the De Ruissie.

- Now for an insider's choice. Given your board name, you might be interested in staying at the Wine Academy of Roma (www.wineacademyroma.com). Yes, this wine academy is right next to the Spanish Steps and operates as a private club that provides wine courses (day, week, etc.) to the public. The facility is run by the same family that owns the Hassler. Since the Wine Academy is new, the rooms that are located their are very up to date. I'm not sure if you need to become a member of the club (25 Euro per person) but you can view their rooms on-line.

Good luck.

IVV

I have not been to the restaurant at the Wine Academy yet; however, I plan to try it when I'm in Rome during November. The chef came from the Hassler (or at least was at the Hassler for some time). There is also a wine bar that has wine tastings Monday through Friday at 7:00.

We stayed at the St. Regis Grand a couple of years ago and found it to be huge and beautiful -- and a fairly unpleasant walk to anywhere we wanted to go, due to the large boulevards of whizzing traffic surrounding it. There are other hotels closer to the major sights, no question. I prefer the Pantheon/Navona area. There are many locals mixed in with the tourists, and many get-real trattorias alongside the quadruple-language ripoff spots. If you have deep pockets and are not planning to do one step of walking, the St. Regis might work for you. The rooms were gorgeous.

R.G.

• 3 months later...

Will be in Rome the first week of June and have been looking at apt. and hotel. They range from expensive to very expensive or up 3 flights no lift and noisy. Would like to stay near Navona (5 minute walk) for about 150 euros and have peaceful sleep. Is this possible in Rome?

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

It will be very difficult. Rome has some of the highest hotel prices in Europe; in addition, the Italy hotel star ratings range from unreliable to meaningless-- The Raphael is a wonderful place near Piazza Navona, but it is probably double your budget.

I always stay at Pensione Panda, Via della Croce 35, a block or two from Piazza Spagna. Small rooms, clean and inexpensive. I think a double, with bath, is about 100E. Its fifteen minutes from Piazza Navona. They have a website.

I went to Rome just over a year ago. My report from that thread:

My hotel, which was booked online, was endorsed by Gambero Rosso as a good value, so although I was never able to find a copy of the guide in English, I did take note of it. I stayed at Hotel Parlamento, right off the via del Corso, midway between the Piazza di Spagna, Trevi fountain and Pantheon. It was very clean, the staff were extremely helpful (all English-speaking) and I thought it was a bargain, considering the location, at just over 100 euros a night .

It's modest but very well-located, and they do have a lift. If I hadn't been there in November I would have tried for one of the rooms that opens onto the roof terrace. Here's the hotel's website.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

When we went in 2000, we stayed at this great little art deco style hotel called the Hotel Locarno. It's right off the Piazza del Popolo but away from the main street so it's quiet. It's around the price range you're looking for. Maybe a little more depending on the room. I remember paying about $150 US/night. It's not exactly the area you're looking for but Rome' not too big. Also it has a nice little terrace on the roof.

In June, 2002, my daughter and I stayed at Albergo del Sole al Biscione, Via del Biscione 76, 00186 Roma( phone 011 39 0668806873; FAX 011 39 066893787)

Albergo del Sole al Biscione

The cost at that time was $150 for a double room with private bath.

The location is fantastic, a few steps from Campo di Fiori/Piazza Navona/Piazza Farnese. There is a roof garden with lounge chairs overlooking the domes of the Church of St. Andrea del Valle(where the opera Tosca is set) and where I was able to hang up my wet laundry every day(a real boon in the summer). They don't serve breakfast, but there are several lovely patios with picnic tables where you can have a meal or snack at any time of the day. I would get up every morning and gather fresh melon, cherries, yoghurt, etc. from the produce stands at the Campo di Fiori, and then we'd go to a local caffe for the best cappuccino and suco d'arancia. There's an elevator in the building. The rooms vary in size. We lucked out and got a triple(for the 2 of us) and had lots of storage space in the antique wardrobes in our room. Lots of cute boutiques and restaurants close by. We stayed for a week and felt as if we got to know the neighborhood

Boun viaggio!

Roz

We stayed at the Locarno--and liked it very much, though I think it is more expensive than you wanted. Others that we have enjoyed and found a little more centrally located for our tastes are the Caesari and Santa Chiara. Both are simple, clean, not chain. Santa Chiara has the better breakfast.

Edited by shadow (log)

We stayed at the Locarno in 1997, their big thing then was free use of bicycles. It was about $150US back then. With the Euro exchange now, it will probably be much more. It's an acceptable place, nice location, but the rooms are quite small. It bills as a 3-star, but I give it a 2.

A similar-type place is the Hotel Carriage near the Via dei Condotti.

The only way to insure a modicum of quiet is to get a room facing the inside courtyard, no view. Those motorscooters and motorized bikes are extremely loud, and they go all night!

Getting a hotel on a budget can indeed be daunting in Rome....