• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where was Tony?

SusanGiff

My husband and I were watching the New Jersey episode of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" last night. He went to a Korean place that looked amazing, but never said where or what it was. Anyone know? The only words on the sign that were in English were "soft tofu," and I can't find anything on the website.

Thanks!

My husband and I were watching the New Jersey episode of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" last night. He went to a Korean place that looked amazing, but never said where or what it was. Anyone know? The only words on the sign that were in English were "soft tofu," and I can't find anything on the website.

Thanks!

After doing some googling I found a blog called foodite and it says that the restaurant is called So Kong Dong Tofu in Fort Lee.

i didn't see the show, but it's probably the soft tofu place on main street in fort lee just before it turns into river road in edgewater. it gets really crowded at times, so i've been going to another place in palisades park the last few years because the parking is better and the restaurant less rushed.

i didn't see the show, but it's probably the soft tofu place on main street in fort lee just before it turns into river road in edgewater.  it gets really crowded at times, so i've been going to another place in palisades park the last few years because the parking is better and the restaurant less rushed.

Details please!

Yep, I'd love to know about the Palisades Park one. I poked around the Internet, and the hyper-busy Fort Lee one does appear to be the same one mentioned above. Of course, Bourdain and his lunch buddy were the only people in the place on the show, so who knew?

Hey guys,

I've been to the place in Fort Lee Bourdain went to several times...I have several korean friends and they all highly recommend it. Unfortunately I don't remember the name off hand so when i speak to them next ill ask and be sure to post it here.

I highly recommend it...the food is great. However, be warned: if you go during prime dinner hours it will likely be incredibly crowded and you might have to wait for 30-40 minutes.

-Charlie

The one in Palisades Park is on Broad Avenue, above a row of shops (Pharmacy, shoe store, etc) I dont have the name of the place, or the exact address, but here is the google location... I can find my way there in my sleep :)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&time...5&t=h&z=18&om=1

*edited - its right over 118 Broad Ave. Yum :)

Edited by tug (log)

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

The one in Palisades Park is on Broad Avenue, above a row of shops (Pharmacy, shoe store, etc) I dont have the name of the place, or the exact address, but here is the google location... I can find my way there in my sleep :)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&time...5&t=h&z=18&om=1

Here is the review I did of the soft tofu places in 2006...Victor Sasson

Eating Out on $50: So Kong Dong, So Gong Dong

A meal in a Korean tofu house is tasty, nutritious, filling and cheap. You can't ask for more.

Two of the best in North Jersey are So Kong Dong in Fort Lee and So Gong Dong in Palisades Park, both named after a South Korean town famous for its soft-tofu stews.

The main attraction is sundubu tchigae (soon-doo-boo chee-gay), a beef-bone broth with soft bean curd, and additions such as mushrooms, beef or oysters. It's available unspiced to fiery. The price ($8 or less) includes hot or cold tea, rice, an egg to cook in the soup, and up to six small side dishes, including kimchi and bean sprouts.

That's enough for most people, but you also can order Korean barbecue – tender beef in a sweet sauce that makes terrific finger food ($11 or less).

You can see the satisfaction of the mostly Asian customers as they enjoy this comfort food. I like to order spicy soft-tofu stew and alternate spoonfuls of the reddish broth and bland rice. The meal explores the contrasting textures, colors and flavors of Korea's intriguing cuisine, which is spicy, salty, sweet and sour.

Both restaurants easily can feed four people for under $50, including tip.

Fort Lee

Our party of four visited So Kong Dong on a Saturday and got the last parking spot in the lot. By the time we left at 6:10 p.m., the small vestibule was packed with people waiting for tables. This place may be too popular: Service wilted under the crush of customers.

My seafood stew ($7), with its custard-like bean curd, was as good as ever, but strangely, the cabbage kimchi had no kick. The beef barbecue ($10) was fattier, and the portion smaller, than I remembered.

Service is usually attentive. On this visit, I asked but couldn't get a fork for my wife, hot tea for a guest and more side dishes. The bill was $47.50, including three soft drinks ($1 each).

The interior has more charm than the Palisades Park spot. Don't miss the tall case of beautiful Korean dolls.

Palisades Park

So Gong Dong, the newer of the two, charges $1 more for its tofu stews and other dishes but also gives you more – six side dishes instead of five, more rice and more choices on the bilingual place mat menu.

My first visit was for lunch, and the restaurant was half-full. My tofu-oyster stew ($7.99 on the menu, rounded off to $8 on the check) was bubbling furiously, and I received a second stone bowl filled with rice. One of the side dishes, raw squid in a red-pepper sauce, left my mouth and lips tingling. When I finished three of the side dishes, they were replaced immediately.

I also ordered dumplings ($7.99), which were tasty. I couldn't finish the meal and still felt full at dinnertime.

When three of us returned for dinner a little after 5 p.m. on a Saturday, some staff members were eating, while others were putting spoons in paper envelopes and pairing chopsticks with napkins. We were seated next to an uncleared table.

Service seemed relaxed, and one couple sounded a chime from their table at least four times to summon a waiter. Two of our side dishes were replaced before we finished them — without the chime — and we were given extra napkins.

Besides beef barbecue and dumplings, the restaurant serves pork barbecue and a seafood-vegetable pancake. A special during my visit was a whole grilled squid.

E-mail: sasson@northjersey.com

So Kong Dong

130 Main St.

Fort Lee

(201) 585-1122

* Korean tofu house

* Casual

* Inexpensive

Fare: Soft-tofu stew, barbecue.

Prices: Entrées, $7 to $10.

Recommended dishes: Seafood tofu soup, beef barbecue.

Liquor, beer: No.

Service: Hit or miss.

Setting: Traditional Korean inn.

Noise level: Moderate to high.

Credit cards: AE, M, V.

Reservations: No.

Days closed: None.

Hours: 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Smoking: No.

Accommodations for children: High chairs.

Dress: Casual.

Lunch: Yes.

Takeout: Yes.

Parking: Front lot, meters.

Reviewed by The Record: March 10, 2006.

So Gong Dong

118 Broad Ave.

Palisades Park

(201) 313-5550

* Korean tofu house

* Casual

* Inexpensive

Fare: Soft-tofu stew, barbecue, seafood pancake, dumplings.

Prices: Entrées $7.99 to $10.99.

Recommended dishes: Soft tofu stew with oysters, dumplings, pork barbecue, free side dishes.

Liquor, beer: No.

Service: Uneven.

Setting: Second-floor restaurant with traditional touches.

Noise level: Moderate.

Credit cards: AE, M, V.

Reservations: No.

Days closed: None.

Hours: 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.

Smoking: No.

Accommodations for children: High chairs.

Dress: Casual.

Lunch: Yes.

Early bird service: No.

Takeout: Yes.

Delivery: No.

Parking: Rear lot, meters.

Web site: No.

Reviewed by The Record: March 10, 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i didn't see the show, but it's probably the soft tofu place on main street in fort lee just before it turns into river road in edgewater.  it gets really crowded at times, so i've been going to another place in palisades park the last few years because the parking is better and the restaurant less rushed.

Details please!

520 bergen blvd, right next to a shabu shabu restaurant (which used to be under the same ownership but changed earlier in the year). both in the same strip as johnny's. there's parking in front of the restaurants as well as a lot in the back.