• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery bags

Kent Wang

This would do it for me. I've got great reusable bags but rarely think to bring them into the damned store. Three times of sitting there with $150 of groceries and another $12 tab for bags would change those habits pronto.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 2 weeks later...

MrB's cousin, MizB, finally made it safely here in Korea. We met her at the airport and then it was a 3 hour trip back to our tiny town of Janghowon. We asked MizB if she was hungry and she said "Not really, something light perhaps."

So we took MizB to our favorite sushi place. Here is MizB with little Billy who's waiting for his bowl of udon noodles.

gallery_48583_5441_119741.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Marlene said MrB was wingin' his way to me weeks ago. I'm afraid MrB is still deep in his travels on his way to me. Hmmm, maybe he got lost and was diverted to China, got caught up in the Chinese New Year melee, traffic and delayed flights. I am crossing my fingers that MrB is probably in the air now on his way to me and MizB.

Fun thread!

I am a loyal Wegmans shopper and have thought about buying their 99 cent reusable bags but I know I'd do the same thing with them that I do with coupons. Leave them at home. Or in my car. Or have them in my hand but forget to give them to the cashier.

Besides, I need the plastic bags for cleaning up after my dog when I walk him. I wonder if that use would be acceptable to Mr. Baggins.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

Yay

I was so afraid they got recycled :shock:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We have touchdown back in the USA and boy was she tired. Ms Baggins arrived by air from South Korea and after a day to rest we all went to an old friends birthday party.

Here she is trying to sneak some icing off Ed's cake

gallery_23695_426_136435.jpg

We are going to an Egulleters restaurant for lunch tomorrow....Amazing Hotdog

Now since madam is awfully tired and doesnt want to make decisions we are opening her next destination to PMs....the 7th PM will get Ms Baggins next

(just like a radio contest)

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Another busy day for Ms Baggins...

out to lunch for Hot Dogs...Jersey style Deep fried!

gallery_23695_426_98076.jpg

Hubby and I had dogs with

chile, jalapenos, and cole slaw

cream cheese and scallion

and a pizza dog

with onion rings of course

Actually as soon as she saw all that greasy food she hid in her envelope until picture time with me and the owner of Amazing Hotdog, Eric (Ejebud)

gallery_23695_426_310014.jpg

the 2 dogs in the photos above us are the My Schmeiro (cream cheese and scallion) and the Jersey breakfast (fried egg and cheese)

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

Maxine

My Webpage

• 3 weeks later...

MizBaggins (another cousin) has been on tour again lately. And she has returned to her homestate - Texas! Here she is enjoying a bowl of chili with cheese and nachos in the home of a Nintendo game programer (hubby was part of the team that came up with Metroid Prime).

gallery_48583_5441_165769.jpg

After Georgetown, Texas, Mis Baggins II will be winging her way to a sunny and tropical part of the US.

• 4 weeks later...

If any of the Baggins clan want to visit Indian Territory, the door is open and the light is on.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Marlene said MrB was wingin' his way to me weeks ago. I'm afraid MrB is still deep in his travels on his way to me. Hmmm, maybe he got lost and was diverted to China, got caught up in the Chinese New Year melee, traffic and delayed flights. I am crossing my fingers that MrB is probably in the air now on his way to me and MizB.

I don't know where Mr. B. got to. I mailed him to you before Christmas and it cost something like $25.00 in stamps because I had put a book in with him. I'm sorry you never got him!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have received B3 from Kent. Yesterday, we went over to Enid for the Smokin Red Dirt BBQ competition. Good day for brisket and chicken. Today, B3 will do a little touring around Indian Territory and then needs a new destination. They wanted to be seen at Cain's Ballroom and have mentioned something about seeing the Hands. Since Kent did the photo with the Capitol building, I thought I would include a visual with an architectural treasure in these parts.

The first PM will get B3 heading to you via USPS.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

MizBaggins is enjoying a tour of the exotic isles of Hawaii. Here is Mis Baggins enjoying my friend's hawaiian hospitality at her house in Maui.

gallery_48583_5030_124813.jpg

MizBaggins enjoyed a lau-lau platter. The bundle at the top of the platter is called lau lau. It is salted butterfish, pork, chicken and beef wrapped in taro leaves and steamed. The outer wrapper that you see in the picture is made of ti leaves.

gallery_48583_5030_50004.jpg

The three little piles in front of the lau lau are three different types of poke (pronounced po-kay). In hawaiian, poke means "small piece" or "cut into small pieces." The poke on the left is ahi (tuna); the poke in the middle is tako kim chee(octopus with kim chee); and the poke on the right is shrimp. Poke is served raw (although the kim chee "cooks" the tako and the shrimp) and is considered a delicacy. It is usually served as a "pupu" or appetizer at parties. Famous hawaiian chef, Sam Choy, calls poke "hawaiian soul food."

MizBaggins is now on her way to the damp and cloudy skies of England.

• 2 weeks later...

MizBaggins left Hawaii with a flurry of leis and garlands in her wake. She took the red eye to England and when she landed found herself transported again and she headed off to Sweden.

Here is our travelling tote with a smörgåstorta, a "sandwich cake".

gallery_48583_5441_83553.jpg

The correct pronounciation for the Swedish delicacy is "smurgohstorta". It is layers of cake with either slices of meat or prawns/crab meat in, incredibly creamy and according to MizBaggins, it tasted just fine!

MizBaggins then headed back to England to rest for awhile and catch her breath with this whirlwind worldwide tour.

Rona - Kent sent me a couple of bags, one I sent to rooftop and the other I sent to my friends. The one Marlene sent me never arrived here in Korea. There are two bags travelling right now, one in eGulleteer homes and another to friends and family of mine. I never thought outsourcing MizBaggins would be an issue.

Rona - Kent sent me a couple of bags, one I sent to rooftop and the other I sent to my friends. The one Marlene sent me never arrived here in Korea. There are two bags travelling right now, one in eGulleteer homes and another to friends and family of mine. I never thought outsourcing MizBaggins would be an issue.

It's not an issue, I was just confused about what was going on. It took me a bit of time to figure out you weren't travelling with her (wouldn't that have been fun? :biggrin: ).

Miz Baggins is also leaving the EG fold for a while.

She is currently being Injected, Inspected, and Detected :wink:

Gotta be old to get that one...oh no I must be old

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

• 6 months later...

Good news! Target is now taking $.05 off your bill for every bag of theirs that you do not use.

I've been rather annoyed that places want you to pay for their reusable bags (or bring your own), but offer no incentive to do so unless the recycle bin s full).

I've also learned that places like Goodwill love to receive bags, as they rely on bag donations to bag stuff for customers.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"