• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery bags

Kent Wang

Diana/Kent - you can send the bag to me and I'll post the pic of the bag enjoying its stay here in Korea.

Okay, you're next! The rules of the game seem to be: 1) sign the bag with your name, city, and date, 2) take a picture of the bag near a local landmark, and 3) the person who sends it to you will tell you where to send it when you're done. So Kent already told me to send it to Jen, but I'll tell Jen to send it to you.

Well, having just yesterday received Mr. Baggins in the mail, I could make an educated guess but I think that might be cheating a wee bit.

I really had to ponder where to take Mr. B for his photo shoot. There are several landmarks in Sacramento which would make for nice pictures...the Capitol, the Tower Bridge, the Governator.

Then I considered that I don't really live in Sacramento; I live in a small, unincorporated area of Sacramento County called Fair Oaks. Those who live in the area know what Fair Oaks is famous for...

Feral chickens!!!

Yes, those are probably two words you never expected to see together but Fair Oaks Village is home to a large community of feral chickens. We even have an annual Chicken Festival.

And so yesterday afternoon, Mr. B, the Spawn, and I went off to the Village park for our photo opportunity...

gallery_11420_759_29381.jpg

There were many more chickens in the field when we were there, one of which chased the Spawn around for a wee bit. There's nothing quite as humourous as seeing a five pound chicken chasing a 5'10" Amazon...

This handsome lad was particularly amenable to having his picture taken.

And so, after his brief visit to sunny California, Mr. B will be winging his way to the true north, strong and free!

Edited by Jensen (log)

Ya know, I didn't read this post because I thought it was going to be lame based on the title. I mean...grocery bags...what the hell are people going to talk about. This is hilarious and I'm glad I peeked in. If Mr. Baggins wants to visit America's Finest City just let me know.

kthxbai

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

• 2 weeks later...
I am nonplussed by the writing on this bag and am a bit resentful that it attempts to guilt me into making it into a kite. Sure, I enjoy flying kites -- at my leisure, not when pressured to do so by some paper bag.

Do your grocery bags also attempt to browbeat you into doing them favors?

"Browbeat"?

Obviously you've never been married.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. B. wanted me to let y'all know that he arrived safe and sound in the Great White North yesterday. Slightly traumatized by his travels and encounters with Canadian Customs, he is resting now but will make an appearance on the weekend at a dinner party. He had fretted that he'd lost his luggage and had nothing suitable to wear, but I assured him we could attire him easily.

Until the weekend...........

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Mr. B rested up after his arduous travels across the border and was ready for dinner tonight.

We ensured he was suitably attired,

gallery_6080_205_72367.jpg

And he enjoyed a dinner of beef tenderloin, twice baked potatoes, glazed carrots and Bernaise sauce.

gallery_6080_205_57102.jpg

Mr. B. has exquisite taste in wine, and after surveying our wine cellar, thought this would be an excellent choice to go with the beef.

gallery_6080_205_250747.jpg

And so it was.

We all enjoyed a dessert of rolled chocolate souffle cake, which was interesting to make to say the least.

gallery_6080_205_70327.jpg

Mr. B. was a delightful dining companion, and regaled us with tales of his travels thus far. Apparently he was delayed getting into Canada by perplexed Canadian immigration authorities who weren't quite sure what to do with him, as he was travelling without a passport.

He thought initially that it would be fun to come on our cruise with us, but he was most excited when he discovered where he'd be traveling to next.

We have since remedied his documentation needs and he will have them when we send him on his way to.......

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Marlene,

I'm shocked that you skimped on Mr. B's gravy!  What kind of hostess are you??  :shock:  I can assure you, if Mr. B ever makes his way to my house, I will be a much better hostess!

:biggrin:

Um, sorry. :biggrin: Every now and then I try to do something just a little different. Mr. B and I talked it over. He had missed Thanksgiving, and was a little upset about that, but I could not find a fresh turkey and I wasn't going to buy a butterball! I couldn't do Prime Rib because that's what we are having next Sunday for our early Christmas Dinner. This seemed like a good compromise as Mr B had heard about my beef and wanted to try some. :biggrin: He did get a sauce out of it! :raz:

Marlene

Apparently he was delayed getting into Canada by perplexed Canadian immigration authorities who weren't quite sure what to do with him, as he was travelling without a passport.

Perhaps someone took issue with the fact that he is an English-only bag. After all, packaging is supposed to be bilingual...

d.

I think Mr. Baggins should come here to DC. Maybe he needs to protest logging in front of the EPA. :raz:

On the other hand, they aren't real potato pancakes unless they are drained on a paper grocery sack, you know? :cool:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I caved and bought myself colour coded monogrammed Bean bags. "VEGGIES" in the green bags, "FRIDGE" in the light blue bags, "CLEANERS" in the black bag, "PANTRY" in the red bags. Part of the reason I do this is I live a far way from the market, and I like to make sure I am getting all the tender stuff inside as quickly as possible. I also carry a freezer bag but I don't usually take it inside the grocery as it's clumsy to manage.

Once they are emptied in the kitchen, they go back out into my car, one inside another. They do not have the character of Mr Baggins, I am sad to say.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

. . .

I caved and bought myself colour coded monogrammed Bean bags. "VEGGIES" in the green bags, "FRIDGE" in the light blue bags, "CLEANERS" in the black bag, "PANTRY" in the red bags. Part of the reason I do this is I live a far way from the market, and I like to make sure I am getting all the tender stuff inside as quickly as possible. I also carry a freezer bag but I don't usually take it inside the grocery as it's clumsy to manage.

Once they are emptied in the kitchen, they go back out into my car, one inside another. They do not have the character of Mr Baggins, I am sad to say.

This is such a brilliant, simple idea that I am slapping my forehead that I didn't think of it! Sometimes when I get back from grocery shopping I am tired or else I am trying to throw a meal together. Putting all those groceries away can be a real challenge but if i could just deal with 2 bags - fridge/freezer and produce it would be so much easier. I don't need to buy more bags - just label the ones I have!

Please, please though, don't grease up Mr. Baggins!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Who would have thought that a little ol'HEB bag would start making his way around the world.

Kent, when you get him back, you should show him off to the folks in San Antonio, I bet they'd get a kick out of it :biggrin:

Gear nerd and hash slinger

Mr. Baggins is welcome to visit Iowa, the heart of the Midwest! He'd be a welcome change from the blandishments and constant phone calls from presidential candidates and accompanying minions! He could come in handy as headcover during a streak through a despised candidate's latest rally! :blink:

Who would have thought that a little ol'HEB bag would start making his way around the world.

Kent, when you get him back, you should show him off to the folks in San Antonio, I bet they'd get a kick out of it  :biggrin:

They already know. I emailed Charles Butt with the link.

• 1 month later...

What ever happened to Mr. Bag? Did he get lost in the mail?

I'm hoping for some help. Ages ago on a food blog, the blogger posted a picture of her shopping basket. It looked a little like this Rixen&Kaul one, but it's not Rixen&Kaul. I thought it might have been Dividend, but I went through her blog and it wasn't her.

Anyone know who owned this basket, or what the brand was? I think it's German or Scandinavian, but I could be wrong about that (I'm pretty sure it's European-made, though).

Nevermind, I found it! It's Reisenthel, and for those others who were interested (I remember a couple of people commented on it), Sur La Table appears to have the best price on them--only $29.95 for the plain ones, which seem to be in the $30s elsewhere (and even 39,95 Euro on the company-affiliated website!).

eta--oops. The ones on Sur La Table's website may be the smaller-sized ones, so of course they'd be cheaper...

Edited by prasantrin (log)

This just in from the International Herald Tribune: "By 'bagging it,' Ireland rids itself of a plastic nuisance."

In a determined attempt to deal with litter, Ireland passed a plastic bag tax in 2002 - now 22 euro cents, about 33 U.S. cents - at the register if you want one with your purchases. There was an advertising awareness campaign. Then something happened that was bigger than the sum of these parts.

Within weeks, there was a 94 percent drop in plastic bag use. Within a year, nearly everyone bought reusable cloth bags, which they now keep in the office and the back of their cars. Plastic bags became socially unacceptable - on par with wearing a fur coat or not cleaning up after your dog.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

This just in from the International Herald Tribune: "By 'bagging it,' Ireland rids itself of a plastic nuisance."
In a determined attempt to deal with litter, Ireland passed a plastic bag tax in 2002 - now 22 euro cents, about 33 U.S. cents - at the register if you want one with your purchases. There was an advertising awareness campaign. Then something happened that was bigger than the sum of these parts.

Within weeks, there was a 94 percent drop in plastic bag use. Within a year, nearly everyone bought reusable cloth bags, which they now keep in the office and the back of their cars. Plastic bags became socially unacceptable - on par with wearing a fur coat or not cleaning up after your dog.

I wish every country would do something like that. Plastic bags are such a waste on many different levels. At the higher-end grocery store in my 'hood today, I brought my own bag. But then they put each refrigerated and produce item into a little plastic bag, so I ended up with 7 little plastic bags. I usually use them for my sink garbage so they aren't a complete waste, but it's not like I really need them.