• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

northern nj lobster

If you have the time, I highly recommend going to Port Monmouth (on the way to sandy hook, about an hours drive) and go to Shoal Lobster Co. They supply lobster to A&P, King's etc...

Thier prices are always lower and the difference in flavor is unreal. THey are also the nicest people to talk to.

909 port momouth road

732-787-5119

http:/www.etuinc.com

Marcels live maine lobsters in Bergenfield NJ is a great source! You would have to place an order, for his price list go to: www.marcelslivemainelobsters.com

I have never been disappointed! Shop-Rite doesn't even come close!

Jan

Opps, sorry, not Bergenfield, Dumont - at 16 W. Madison Ave. in Dumont ,

on the Bergenfield Border -- 201-385-6003

Edited by jtphjl (log)

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

This place you mention www.marcelslivemainelobsters.com looks awsome.

I live in Bergen & have never heard from it. I checked out the website - can you tell me more - looks like a retail store? I can just walk in & pickup one of those lobster dinners cooked & ready?

Thanks

It's a little hole in the wall in an unlikely place-- Dumont. (Not Bergenfoeld). I haven't tried the whole live lobsters, which he has sitting in picnic chests---

The featured lobster roll, however, is quite unremarkable, served on an A&P hot dog bun, and costs $14 bucks. The bun really kills anything that's good about the lobster salad inside; Hopefully, the live lobsters are unadulterated and a better value...

It's a little hole in the wall in an unlikely place-- Dumont.  (Not Bergenfoeld). I haven't tried the whole live lobsters, which he has sitting in picnic chests--- 

The featured lobster roll, however, is quite unremarkable, served on an A&P hot dog bun, and costs $14 bucks.  The bun really kills anything that's good about the lobster salad inside; Hopefully, the live lobsters are unadulterated and a better value...

Lobster rolls are supposed to be served on grilled top split hot dog rolls. When I make the change to the balthazar rolls, my customers complain. A real lobster roll sits on a hot dog roll. Grilled.

It's a little hole in the wall in an unlikely place-- Dumont.  (Not Bergenfoeld). I haven't tried the whole live lobsters, which he has sitting in picnic chests--- 

The featured lobster roll, however, is quite unremarkable, served on an A&P hot dog bun, and costs $14 bucks.  The bun really kills anything that's good about the lobster salad inside; Hopefully, the live lobsters are unadulterated and a better value...

Lobster rolls are supposed to be served on grilled top split hot dog rolls. When I make the change to the balthazar rolls, my customers complain. A real lobster roll sits on a hot dog roll. Grilled.

I wouldn't complain--- give me a great peasant roll, or crispy hero anytime. Hot dog bun??? Blecchhhhh! (Very pasty and gooey)

I discovered it word of mouth just before Christmas last year - I orderd stuff lobster tails - Marcel is Canadian (I believe) he moved to Maine and I am forgetting just how he made it to NJ -- anyway, he does regular commutes to Maine which is why ordering is essential. The few times I have just dropped-in the store, I could not get lobster and was limited to what was left from lunch (not a complaint, his soups are great!

The stuffed Lobster tails (for Christmas Eve) were outstanding. During the summer I have ordered his clam bakes.

Only once was my order not available - it just wasn't there or it had gone to someone else -- This was a Saturday and I needed it for Sunday - he arranged to deliver the order to my house (Ridgewood).

I have friends who order just about weekly from Marcel - never had a problem.

WIth service like that, I would not have considered my situation a problem either!

I have never had Marcel's Lobster Rolls, I am partial to Picnic Chef, for Lobster Rolls! That is perfection!!!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 5 months later...

Marcel is not expected to make it through the next 24 hours. He went into a coma (during the weekend) -- his family was to be removing him from life support today.

- Elaine Boosler