• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Schnitzel by any other name...

rlibkind

Davyd's Heartland thread on Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches got me wondering about all the wonderful styles of breaded, deep-fried red and nearly-red meats: various schnitzels and cutlets, chicken-fried steak, tonkatsu, the aforementioned pork tenderloin sandwiches, etc.

What else is out there that you like?

I'm a sucker for jagerschnitzel, defined by its mushroom-laden "hunter's" sauce.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

In a little town called Nickelsdorf on the Austria-Hungary border, I had 3 absolutely genius wienerschnitzels (on 3 different days, but from the same place)...perfectly breaded, and served with a subtly exotic and tart cabbage/caraway slaw or salad that spiced things up considerably. With a bowl of goulash on the side. Very good.

Milenesa Nepolitana from Argentina. A nice good piece of beef schnizle/milenesa/milenese/what have you with a thin slice of ham with melted swiss cheese on top.

Of course, I could eat my weight in Milenesa in Argentina. Actually I think I have. :laugh:

Milenesa y papas fritas. Little bit of red wine from Mendoza, oh, it was the good life!

:wub:

It may be a little off, but my Mom makes these wonderful things she calls "shrimp cutlets". It starts with peeling raw shrimp until just the little tail tip is left on and deveining. Then you butterfly the shrimp and run your knife quickly over the shrimp in a crosshatch pattern, making something akin to cube steak (only it's shrimp :smile: ).

The marinade for the "cube shrimp" (only 5-10 min necessary) is salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, grated fresh ginger, turmeric, minced onion and minced Thai bird chilies. To cook, heat a thin film of neutral oil in a pan over medium to medium-high heat. Dip the individual shrimp (with chilies and onion still clinging to them) into egg, then breadcrumbs, and fry, flipping once. They should be crisp with bits of browned onions/chilies meshed as part of the coating.

Shrimp cutlets are one of my favorite childhood foods. (They're still pretty tasty in adulthood too!) Every year, my family and I would vacation in the Outer Banks, and the cap at the end of the trip would be to go the the docks in Wanchese and pick up a HUGE cooler of shrimp as our one year supply. We would arrive home, get to work on separating the shrimp by size and cleaning them. After we took showers to get rid of the smell, dinner would include the cutlets using these incredibly sweet fresh shrimp.

A well-made chicken-fried steak is a thing of beauty.

But the batter-dipped deep-fried salt-and-pepper squid served by my favorite local Thai joint are pretty darned beautiful too. Especially because the squid are cut not into rings, but into nice tender meaty strips.

I grew up with large qantities of chicken cutlets....made some last night actually with tomato sauce and mozz

I also make pork schnitzle alot now with gravy and potato dumplings

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It may be a little off, but my Mom makes these wonderful things she calls "shrimp cutlets". It starts with peeling  raw shrimp until just the little tail tip is left on and deveining. Then you butterfly the shrimp and run your knife quickly over the shrimp in a crosshatch pattern, making something akin to cube steak (only it's shrimp  :smile: ).

The marinade for the "cube shrimp" (only 5-10 min necessary) is salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, grated fresh ginger, turmeric, minced onion and minced Thai bird chilies. To cook, heat a thin film of neutral oil in a pan over medium to medium-high heat. Dip the individual shrimp (with chilies and onion still clinging to them) into egg, then breadcrumbs, and fry, flipping once. They should be crisp with bits of browned onions/chilies meshed as part of the coating.

Shrimp cutlets are one of my favorite childhood foods. (They're still pretty tasty in adulthood too!)  Every year, my family and I would vacation in the Outer Banks, and the cap at the end of the trip would be to go the the docks in Wanchese and pick up a HUGE cooler of shrimp as our one year supply. We would arrive home, get to work on separating the shrimp by size and cleaning them. After we took showers to get rid of the smell, dinner would include the cutlets using these incredibly sweet fresh shrimp.

These sound incredible and your recollections are also wonderful to read. Thanks for sharing!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

tonkatsu!!!!!!! I like to take some pounded pork, dip it in rice flour, then dip it in egg wash, and then dip it in panko. Deep fry or shallow fry it until done and then serve with homemade sauce. mmmmmmmm deliciously porky with lots of crunch

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Davyd's Heartland thread on Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches got me wondering about all the wonderful styles of breaded, deep-fried red and nearly-red meats: various schnitzels and cutlets, chicken-fried steak, tonkatsu, the aforementioned pork tenderloin sandwiches, etc.

What else is out there that you like?

I'm a sucker for jagerschnitzel, defined by its mushroom-laden "hunter's" sauce.

Breaded pork belly croutons for a Pork belly Caesar Salad. It's absolutely killer!

Breaded pork belly croutons for a Pork belly Caesar Salad. It's absolutely killer!

Now that is hard core!

This is Ruhlman's new crusade

http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2007/08...ducingthe-.html

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Flat breaded fried meat is my favorite kind of meat!

I like flattened chicken breast dipped in grated parm instead of breadcrumbs. It reminds me of those parmesan chips you make by baking the cheese on a silpat, only filled with chicken.

Bagel?

Dark-meat chicken is the great underutilized meat for schnitzel-type preparations. Many supermarkets sell boneless, skinless chicken thighs that can be pounded out into roughly shaped cutlets, breaded and fried just like pork or veal.

Also, one really must include chicken fingers and chicken nuggets on this list. There's so much foodie disdain for both, yet they're really just different cuts of chicken schnitzel. They're greatly improved, by the way, if you make them with thigh meat instead of breast meat.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm a sucker for a chicken schnitzel recipe lately for it's ease, quick cooking, and awesome flavour.

Stolen from Flavour by Paul Gayler (gogo $8 hurt-book-sale). Mostly just thinly flattened chicken breast mixed with dijon and lemon zest, floured, egged, breaded, and fried in butter 4-5 minutes a side. Remove, slam in about 1/2 cup of lemon juice, tablespoon of parsley, tablespoon of capers, and a metric ton of butter. Heat over high for a minute or so, check salt/pepper levels, toss on the schnitzel.

I don't know why but I'm totally in love with it lately.

A favorite that I really don't make much (cholesterol, fat, blah blah blah) are beef liver steaks that are soaked in milk and a vinegary hot sauce for an hour, drained, breaded and fried. Serve with a few or more sprinkles of malt vinegar or Lea and Perrins and crunchy salt. If I feel particularly frisky I'll add ketchup to the plate. :raz:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

i guess john's favorite of chicken saltimbucco doesn't count since it isn't deep fried or breaded though he will eat it as a sandwich. he does like a chicken breast pounded thin then dipped in pulverized cornbread stuffing mix and baked with sweet potatoes.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Schnitzel Holstein - breaded veal, topped with anchovy, capers, and a fried egg.  With some lemon wedges along side.

I Second this! Without a doubt the single greatest dish that can be placed on a plate to be served with a hefeweitzen... or a Rhine spatelasse. Now all I have to do is talk the wife into a trip to Fresno to visit the family so I can cook this without disparaging comments. She loves me... but hates when I cook "beige" food. What's a foodie to do?

hvr :cool:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

It may be a little off, but my Mom makes these wonderful things she calls "shrimp cutlets". It starts with peeling  raw shrimp until just the little tail tip is left on and deveining. Then you butterfly the shrimp and run your knife quickly over the shrimp in a crosshatch pattern, making something akin to cube steak (only it's shrimp  :smile: ).

Shrimp cutlets are one of my favorite childhood foods. (They're still pretty tasty in adulthood too!)  Every year, my family and I would vacation in the Outer Banks, and the cap at the end of the trip would be to go the the docks in Wanchese and pick up a HUGE cooler of shrimp as our one year supply. We would arrive home, get to work on separating the shrimp by size and cleaning them. After we took showers to get rid of the smell, dinner would include the cutlets using these incredibly sweet fresh shrimp.

The shrimp cutlets sound wonderful and seem to have an asian influence. I am dying to make this dish. Just curious about the amounts of seasonings and shrimp and also did you use a whole egg or just egg whites? Could you/would you please share?? Thanks

Hi Pups224,

Sorry for the delay in reply! I've never measured anything out making this, but the next time I make it I definitely will!

Right now,I I'd guess that for a pound of shrimp, I'd use 1 tsp. grated ginger, 1/4 tsp. turmeric, 1/4 tsp. cayenne, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper, 2 TB mined onion and 1/2 of a small chili minced up. The saltiness, I'd adjust depending on whether your shrimp are briny. I don't season the breadcrumbs, as the shrimp are already highly seasoned.

For the egg issue, it actually uses an egg wash with the whole egg and about a tablespoon of water per egg.

I hope this helps! I promise I'll pay closer attention the next time it's on the menu!