• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Noodle Shop, Kansas City

maftoul

We had lunch at the Noodle Shop today. It's at 59th and Holmes in the Morningside Plaza. It's been mentioned in a previous Sushi thread, but because this isn't sushi I've started a new topic. We thought it was a wonderful place.

We had the pickle assortment, which was terrific. Each pickle had its own special qualities and flavor. It has fresh pickle and aged pickle. There were at least 7 different vegetable pickles, all delicious.

Our noodle choices were udon #1 and a special somen noodle with bang bang sauce and chicken. Both were delightful. The udon was as good as any we've had on the west coast in Japanese places. It had pork, chicken, a raw egg, fresh greens, (mizuna?) and fish cake. It was extremely flavorful, made more so by a little ponzu and togarashi. The pork was especially good.

The Bang Bang Chicken had just the right amount of heat and the chicken was succulent. We had iced tea that had a yuza or other citrus flavor that was kept refilled at all times. Our server was very good.

It's the kind of place we could go to again and again.

We hope people support The Noodle Shop. What an enjoyable place!

Are they open for lunch and dinner? Anything else besides noodle dishes? or just straight forward Noodles?

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Are they open for lunch and dinner? Anything else besides noodle dishes? or just straight forward Noodles?

I was not able to eat lunch there, they close for lunch at 1:30pm. Weird time.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Their hours are indeed short. 11am to 1:30 pm. 2:30 would be so much better.

Noodles is what they serve. That's why it's called the Noodle Shop! No sushi, no wraps, no rice bowls. They are what they are.

We like the fact that you could get several kinds of noodles with several kinds of broth. You can order from their menu or make your own noodle bowl. It was the kind of place I've been to in San Francisco. The pickles were wonderful.

Noodles is what they serve. That's why it's called the Noodle Shop! No sushi, no wraps, no rice bowls. They are what they are.

And don't forget the pickles! The pickles are key... what kind of vegetables are they pickling there?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

We had the aged and young pickle assortment. It was a great plate of crunchy pickley vegetables. The assortment included kimchee, daikon, burdock, cucumber, carrot, radish and mint, green beans with walnuts, and eggplant. It included a portion of hijiki salad on the plate as well. It cost a whopping $4.25! It was enjoyable with both noodle choices. I could eat that stuff for breakfast with rice and be very happy until my next meal of noodles.