• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2002–2011)

Stone

Good point NSM, I just picked up some plugra on the cheap and made a damn decent pie crust with it. Unfortunately in Washington the liquor laws prohibit the sell of liquor in grocery stores. :angry:

I have to admit that when TJ's first arrived in Seattle I was sceptical as they had poor selection except on hippy crap. Now I'm regularly buying $2.99 and $4.99 bottles of wine and they're produce is slowly evolving, they're not a bad place to buy fresh basil. So far I haven't had the courage to buy any of their fresh meats (not great prices or exceptional quality) but you're right about the seafood, it's not bad at all, especially for frozen.

Whole Foods? Blech. Overpriced---way. Condescending hippyshit "Mission"

I am with you Maggiethecat. Just wish there was an equivalent to Caputo's in the D.C. area.

TJ's is the best for cheese and nuts. But the reason to visit: BRESAOLA!

Briggie: Everything that NSM and col klink said. Especially about the frozen fish/seafood. It's often better than the fresh we can get locally, and much cheaper.

For produce, nah. I talked to the manager of our local TJs and he said, basically, that produce was not really their thing. Sorta there in small volume should you really need to pick up an onion or a lemon.

The cheese is good and reasonable. And check out the frozen cakes and other desserts. The apple strudel is good, and it's cheap. I've almost stopped making it myself.

And dare 'ya: Buy a coupla bottles of three buck chuck. :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I went to the new TJ's in Chicago on Lincoln and Grace. As maggie says, it's fun. The place is small and as others have noted, the produce is nothing to write home about. Basically, if you need to pick up lettuce.

However, awbrig, they did have your beloved Fiji water for $1.59. Is that a good price? TJ's is the place to load up on snacks and bottled fizzy water, wine, and Orangina.

I am going to take the 3 buck chuck challenge.

It is right next to a CB2 (crate and barrell 2), another fun place to throw money away.

Does Fiji water really taste any different than any other bottled water? I mean, really?

Pixel,

Normally I cant differentiate between them. But with Fiji I can tell, in a huge way. Besides the terrific clean fresh taste, the softness of the water and its mouthfeel are noticeable upon the first sip you take. The water is so soft and elegant on your tongue and throat. I love it, love it, love it. The bottle is pretty cool too!

One nitpick I have with TJ's is their lack of plastic bags. Um, it's Seattle, it's raining, and I'm on foot. I guess I should just try to remember to take my own bag.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Did you know that trader joes is owned by two german brothers who never come out and live in secret. they are in the top ten most wealthy people in the world. The story behind it is that one of the brothers was kidnapped or almost kidnapped i cant quite remmeber. but since that they have lived in hiding almost so it doesn't happen again. I saw a whole story on it when the 10 richest people in the world poll came out.

Awbrig, what did you think? I think Trader Joe's is a good place if you are a person with kids, looking for some interesting convenience food to supplement your cooking days..their frozen manicotti for soccer practice night, etc. And theri bottled dressings are great...I cook up Lima beans, add their wasabi or cilantro dressings, a little thinly sliced red onion, perhaps some julienned carrots...LUNCH. Teh closest TJ's is 20 miles a way, and I make the trip 1x a month, at least..oh, and their frozen string beans and endame are great!

Unfortunately in Washington the liquor laws prohibit the sell of liquor in grocery stores.  :angry:

You're not the only one who lives in a state with stupid liquor laws. I was a little baffled to hear everone talking about booze at TJ's because there's no such thing here in Maryland.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Ms. Shorter, if you happen to be in Northern Virginia sometime, stop by one of their TJs. NoVa (indeed, AllVa) allows wine and beer sales in convenience stores, supermarkets, and gourmet markets...just not hard liquor.

One nitpick I have with TJ's is their lack of plastic bags.  Um, it's Seattle, it's raining, and I'm on foot.  I guess I should just try to remember to take my own bag.

MsRamsey: Funny you should mention the paper bags. We love them! Our garbage collector/recycle folks will take newspapers, etc., only if they are in paper bags. The TJs shopping bags are ideal for our huge weekly pile of written matter.

But then, Chicago isn't as rainy as Seattle.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

do they have their own brand for things like toothpaste, detergent, toiletpaper, diapers...?

Don't think TJ does papergoods but I believe they have had tooth paste and detergent. Things come and go depending on popularity (cha-ching).

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

And dare 'ya: Buy a coupla bottles of three buck chuck. 

Im buying 10-15 cases of the stuff, babe.

Whaddya thinking everyone will be drinking at my party, Opus One? :laugh:

No Opus One! :angry:

Sniff, sniff, flounce:

We're not coming! :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

rader Joe's began in 1958 as a chain of convenience stores called Pronto markets in the Los Angeles area. It's founder, Joe Coulombe, wanted to expand the stores and enhance their image. In 1967 he doubled the floor space and began to offer imported wines and gourmet food items and reasonable prices, and "Trader Joe's" was born, opening the first store in Pasadena, Ca. The California Trader Joe's are today the state's leading wine retailer.

In 1979 Trader Joe's was sold to the Albrecht family. The two brothers from Germany, Theodore and Carl, also own and operate Aldi's. Aldi is a 4500 discount food chain in Europe and parts of the central Uniteds States. It also holds about an 11% stake in Albertson's, a national supermarket chain. The Albrecht brothers are often listed as one of the wealthiest families in the world. They were the 11th richest in 1997 Forbes "Richest People" list with $11.5 billion.

One nitpick I have with TJ's is their lack of plastic bags.  Um, it's Seattle, it's raining, and I'm on foot.  I guess I should just try to remember to take my own bag.

As a card carrying Seattleite (yes, it's a real word, check it out on m-w.com!), how come you don't bring your own bags? Shame on you! Be careful or the hippies will corner you in a dark alley, guilt you up and put their stink on you!