• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2002–2011)

Stone

Well I also got that Plugra butter that you guys seem to like on this thread - although I had never heard of it...can you give me some more info on it...I do like the smell, texture and taste of it. How is it rated among other European butters?

Edited by awbrig (log)

Fiji water, which I've never tried before, tastes purer (in the sense of lower mineral content) than my usual Evian. I don't have a bottle of Evian to compare the labels

Fiji blows it away! No contest.

We're going to get some Evian and do a blind taste test. That way we won't be biased by the fancy waterfall inside the Fiji bottle. I'm pretty sure the taste difference will be hard to miss, but I want to do a fair test.

I was in a hotel last week that had bottles of Evian in the room for $5. Then I realized what Evian spelled backwards is.

beachfan

Had some of TJ's Kenya AA Arabica coffee this morning. Very smooth. The big coffee drinker in the house (not me) liked it too.

I wonder how much difference the nitrogen-filled packaging makes in flavor and/or shelf life.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

we spent $450 dollars

Jesus Christ.

jason, you just dont' havekids.

I spend $400 per week for a family of 5, plus one infant on formula. ( 60-80$ per) (6 ppl on weekends.) (1-2 extra household ppl each day, 8-3pm) And I cook a lot, and don't skimp on much, but it adds up fast. PLUS, i do Sam's club for paper, foil, basic mac and cheese goods, once a month, about $200.

I go throught 2 gals of milk a day, 1 gal of OJ, 1 gal of Cherry Powerade, and a six pack of Sprite. So. its 15-20 bucks per day on liquids!that's over $100 per week on basic liquids, plus bottled water, sports water, powerade in small bottles for sports, juice boxes for snacks..OY!!!!

this, needless to say, is not the wine and beer budget! thankfully :raz:

Edited by kimWB (log)

Been going to TJ's here in NJ for 2 years now and it never fails to please. Even though it's only 4 short aisles, you can always make a new discovery or 3 or 4. Last time out discovered great buys on vitamin supplements, all natural, prices lower than most vitamin outlets. And the sleeper is the FABULOUS Snackmasters brand Natural Beef Jerky and Turkey Jerky. For you jerky lovers, this is the absolute best ever. And, as a bonus, no preservatives in this stuff! Only $3.99 for 4 ounces!! (Cheaper than slim jim crap!) Can't wait to discover something else at TJ's next time!!

Edited by menton1 (log)

Hmmm... Balsamic is a tough one-- we have some local Italian delis here in North Jersey, but you may be elsewhere-- try this link--Balsamic Vinegars

Be sure to try it on ice cream-- wonderful!!

N.B. I've had the Snackmasters Beef Jerky and Turkey Jerky at Trader Joes, and they are fab, but has anyone tried the Buffalo Jerky?

Anyone tried any of TJs Balsamic Vinegar?  I am looking for an excellent aged Balsamic but dont want to spend $50...any suggestions?

Awbrig, our "house" balsamic vinegar has been Whole Foods' 365 Every Day Value since Cook's Illustrated conducted one of its blind tastings and judged it the winner in the $15-and-under category. No kidding, at $3.49 per 1-pint bottle (might be a tad bit more now), it's a screamin' deal. Nothing in it except aged Vinegar of Modena -- no artificial sweetener, no caramel coloring, nuthin'! I can't recommend it highly enough, however, I've not tried TJ's. Perhaps it's better, although I would doubt it. BTW: I *must* have lamb after drooling over your pix. :rolleyes:

We still have a bottle of the "really good stuff" for special occasions, of course . . .

Had TJ's Australian strip steak tonite. $4 for a 10oz steak. It was nicely trimmed and good and beefy. Not prime steakhouse quality, but well above the average supermarket steak. I don't recall ever having Australian beef before. Does anyone know how it is generally raised as compared to American beef?

I asked my wife to bring in a bottle of the Chuck Cab to go with the steak, but she had a better idea. She brought an '82 Faustino I Rioja Gran Reserva. That frosted bottle kills me every time.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Hey Awbrig -- regarding balsamic vinegar... I don't pretend to know how it compares to $50 a bottle versions, but Cooks Illustrated did a side-by-side comparison of balsamic vinegar, and the one they came up with as the best was $3.50 a bottle and can be bought at whole foods.

pfft. I guess it pays to read the rest of the messages in the thread before I butt in...

Edited by DaveFaris (log)

thx Dave, someone else also mentioned this in my Balsamic thread. My question is - is that can you tell a huge difference between the 365 and a $50 bottle or is it miniscule?

ps...can you post a link to that article dave, thx

Edited by awbrig (log)

I've used the $3.50 365/Whole Foods Brand (why don't they price it at $3.65)? Anyway, I digress...The stuff is pretty good. Is it better than a $50 bottle? I don't know I never spent that much on Vinegar. It is better than some $10 vinegars.

On another note, I personally hate Cooks Illustrated. I feel like like they're stuck in the 1950's (and not in the retro way a la the crock pot, etc.) Everything looks bland and boring that they make. They also always say that some cheapo brand is the best. I'm sure that many times the cheaper stuff is better, but come on, it can't always be the best!!!

-Eric

NSM,

actually find their frozen Australian a little too gamey. The New Zealander is more mild and tender

Beff tenderloin gamey?? what did you mean by this...how did you cook it and serve it? sauce? thx bro

NSM,
actually find their frozen Australian a little too gamey. The New Zealander is more mild and tender

Beff tenderloin gamey?? what did you mean by this...how did you cook it and serve it? sauce? thx bro

Sorry, it was a (very lame) joke. I thought it sounded like you bought some frozen Australian people, so I was ribbing you about it. Hold on while I go bid on a sense of humor on eBay... :wink:

Sorry, it was a (very lame) joke. I thought it sounded like you bought some frozen Australian people, so I was ribbing you about it. Hold on while I go bid on a sense of humor on eBay... 

I get it now, i think. :biggrin:

You'll never make it at Second City here in Chicago... :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Back @ Trader Joe's this weekend. I actually attempted to return a few items that I didnt care for last time I was there and purchased (meatballs, OJ !, and something else) and they credited me faster than you can say Two Buck Chuck! That store is awesome...one of the Hawaiin shirt workers also came up to me and mentioned he remembered me coming in a few weeks ago and asked how was I enjoying the products...!!! :smile:

and now there is a TJ's in good ole michigan. yaay. went there for the first time this weekend and was quite pleased. not to many exotic/new things but the prices are quite amazing. mmy tab was only a fourth of yours though awbirg. also. the mi edition appears less stocked than the one's some of you are frequenting.

i bought some of their aged balsamic. it's quite decent. not that i could tell it apart from a 50 buck one since i've never tasted a 50 buck one.

love the bubbly water prices.

• 5 months later...

I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's, but for selected items only. IMHO, many of the sauces and ingredients lean way too far to the sweet side, making them hard to incorporate into a dish. It's kinda like a Costco in that not everything is there all the time, and they don't try to carry everything like a supermarket, although they're pretty diverse. I think it's possible to save quite a bit compared to a regular supermarket or Whole Foods, since they use cost-plus pricing. I also like that they seem to have a corporate conscience, although I don't agree with everything. It's the only stop I make before going camping. FWIW, by trial and error, these are the things I usually get there:

Bottled water, GoLean Crunch cereal, protein bars, fresh artichokes, olives, Dubliner cheese, parmegiano reggiano, shredded Mediterranean blend cheese, organic milk, eggs/egg whites, nuts and trail mixes (tamari almonds, cashews, pine nuts), nut butter, Terra stix, Sara's Sorbets, gelato, tomato onion "Middle Eastern pizzas", protein drinks, Niman Ranch bacon, TJ's sausages, TJ's gourmet breads (I think made by La Brea Bakery), frozen potstickers, paper goods, EVOO for everyday, dried pasta, premade raw pizza dough, prewashed salad, Lemon Ginger Echinacea drink, fresh berries, dehydrated fruit, King Arthur Flour, Carb Safe chocolate, laundry soap, Belgian chocolate pudding, the $10 Amarone, Marques de Caceres Rioja, Patron, chocolate nut clusters, white chocolate cookies, Batali's pasta sauce (still expensive), Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes, Ak-mak crackers, el cheapo "prosciutto", imported Greek dolmades, organic chicken stock, various kinds of jerky, and disposable 35mm cameras.

~Tad