• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2002–2011)

Stone

I LOVE the piquillo peppers. I stuff them with homemade cream cheese

Thanks for mentioning this. My local grocery store doesn't carry so I stopped by a TJ on my way home from vacation and stocked up. Like to stuff them with goat cheese, warm them up, and just serve with sherry vinegar, oil , and parsley. Yum.

Try stuffing with goat cheese, some ground cumin and orange zest. I saw that idea somewhere, tried it, and liked it quite a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely try it - I sure have enough peppers at this point!

:angry: The Tomato Chutney that I love so much on rotisseried chicken seems to have been discontinued. Boooooooo!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

What are your favorite TJ's cookies? ...

Not especially healthy, I'm sure but I'm partial to the cranberry shortbread cookies. I thought they were a seasonal holiday item but they're still available in my local stores.

:angry: The Tomato Chutney that I love so much on rotisseried chicken seems to have been discontinued. Boooooooo!

I HATE when that happens. Two of my recently dearly departeds are the Artichoke Lemon Pesto from the refrigerated case and the Mixed Grilled Vegetable Bruschetta that came in an hexagonal glass jar. I'm still hoarding a jar of the latter so I can try to replicate it.

What are your favorite TJ's cookies? I like the Triple Ginger Snaps, but rarely buy cookies. I want to bring s package or two of cookies to the local senior center so the good folks there might enjoy them with the free coffee in the morning. I'm thinking that the ginger snaps may be a little much for the folks there - looking for something everyone might enjoy.

I wouldn't be so sure that the Triple Ginger Snaps would be too much for the people at the senior center.

My nonagenarian grandmother regularly asks me to bring her a tub of the Triple Ginger Snaps (her town doesn't have a Trader Joe's). I haven't seen her eat any other store-bought cookies in years. Home-made cookies, yes, but not store-bought cookies. My octogenarian mother-in-law likes them as well. Actually, all of my relatives who would qualify as senior citizens like the Triple Ginger Snaps.

Edited by Gingersnap (log)

Thanks for the suiggestions. I'll check them out at my next TJ's visit. I may get the Lemon Ginger cookies for myself as I like both flavors. Don't recall seeing them at my local TJ's though ...

Turns out that those cookies are no longer available, at least in my area. <BooHoo>

... Shel

I wouldn't be so sure that the Triple Ginger Snaps would be too much for the people at the senior center.

I asked a few people and most prefer a less intense cookie. They seem to like chocolate chip more than any other. Of course, I can get a couple of kinds, and keep some of the 3X Ginger Snaps for myself.

... Shel

My family loves the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I find them addictive and can't eat them at all. My kids love tham and I can fool myself that they are more healthy because of the oatmeal.

My family loves the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I find them addictive and can't eat them at all. My kids love tham and I can fool myself that they are more healthy because of the oatmeal.

Well, I can't quite convince myself that they are healthier because of the oat flakes, but they do sound like they may be tasty. In fact, when I was at TJ's this past weekend,I picked up a carton along with some choc-chips and the 3X Ginger Snaps. I want to try the Meyer lemon wafers at some point.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it is a new product, but I spotted "Moral Fiber" muffins at Trader Joes. A terrific pun on there behalf. I think we should send a few cases of these to Washington, but I don't think it will make a bit of difference.

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

There was a brief review of the Trader Joe's Companion in the local fish wrap's food section today. I'd not heard of this little book before, and perhaps it's unfamiliar to others as well:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_15221100?source=rss

http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Companion-Portable-Cookbook/dp/0979938422

The reviews at Amazon are worth reading.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 1 month later...

I had a disaster with their Wild Blue colossal shrimp (raw, shelled & deveined, under 15 count). I am partly to blame because I purchased them even though there was a good bit of ice in the bag making it hard to see the shrimp- I know better. Upon opening at home there was ONE colossal shrimp and the rest were large at best. I gave them a very brief cooking and the texture was not good at all. I had thrown the bag out and was in no mood for a confrontation so I did not go back to the store and tell them. In all fairness I am sure they would have been good about it, but it was a waste of time and a disappointment.

On a happier note, I tried the Trader Joe brand Seafood Sausage from the frozen case. I like fish balls so I would have actually enjoyed a bouncier texture, but browned a bit on the Weber grill they were pretty good and enhanced by my hot (as in spicy) mustard sauce. This is an item I would keep in the freezer for emergencies and for the "pescetarians" on grilling day (would not lend a fishy note to the rest of the items cooking)

Just got a jar of TJ's Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce -- amazing - and HOT! Highly recommend it. (Best egg salad I ever made.)

OMG !! I *LOVE* that stuff !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I tried the Triple Ginger Cookie Thins (not the Triple Ginger Snaps) and they are quite good. They have just enough bite to them. The cookies themselves are super crisp and thin (hey, truth in advertising...whatta ya know?). As I was eating them I kept trying to come up with ideas for using these cookies in desserts. My first thought was of using them as a stacked torte-ish dessert with a pumkpin mousse/cream piped between layers of the cookies...and you'd have to make sure you don't overdo the filling so the edges of the cookie would retain its crispness and provide a textural difference with the cookie that made contact with the filling and got soft.

Because they're so thin, you get oodles of them in a box, which is a plus. I believe they had another flavor in the cookie thins, as well (butter cookie?).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I tried the Triple Ginger Cookie Thins (not the Triple Ginger Snaps) and they are quite good. They have just enough bite to them. The cookies themselves are super crisp and thin (hey, truth in advertising...whatta ya know?). As I was eating them I kept trying to come up with ideas for using these cookies in desserts. My first thought was of using them as a stacked torte-ish dessert with a pumkpin mousse/cream piped between layers of the cookies...and you'd have to make sure you don't overdo the filling so the edges of the cookie would retain its crispness and provide a textural difference with the cookie that made contact with the filling and got soft.

Because they're so thin, you get oodles of them in a box, which is a plus. I believe they had another flavor in the cookie thins, as well (butter cookie?).

I've layered them in the upper parts of a trifle in ginger-flavored whipped cream.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

the (meyer?) lemon ones taste exactly like froot loops to me. i haven't touched a froot loop to my lips in probably 30 years, but the second i nibbled the edge, that distinct flavor hit me in the face. so, so weird!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

One of the best things about TJ is their selection of crackers.

Is anyone else addicted to TJ's Pita Chips w/ Sea Salt? Whenever I buy them, even the cashiers commiserate on how much they love them. I'm also enjoying the Pita Bite crackers. Despite the "pita" in both their names, they couldn't be more different. The first with the savor of oil and salt, the second oil-free, w/ crips layers and more flavorful than the typical water cracker.

I've layered them in the upper parts of a trifle in ginger-flavored whipped cream.

Thanks for the idea!

the (meyer?) lemon ones taste exactly like froot loops to me. i haven't touched a froot loop to my lips in probably 30 years, but the second i nibbled the edge, that distinct flavor hit me in the face. so, so weird!

Ah, yes, that is the other flavor I couldn't recall. Thanks.

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to trying the Meyer Lemon Cookie Thins and found I prefer the Triple Ginger flavor.

With the Meyer Lemon cookies, at first bite they reminded me of a sugar cookie with lemon peel. It was only after a couple of cookies that the flavor was more "there". I figured (and confirmed it by reading the ingredient list) that they were using some sort of oil for the flavoring which is why it took a couple of cookies for the flavor became more pronounced. Whereas with the Triple Ginger, the flavor was there right from the start.

I thought this ingredient listed on the Meyer Lemon Cookie Thins label was odd: "natural lemon oil - Meyer type"

If you use lemons that aren't Meyer Lemons but are Meyer-type lemons, can you still call it "Meyer Lemon" flavor?

It's a good cookie. It's quite lemony but I think the Triple Ginger are better overall.

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

A new product- well really a packaging method- turned up recently. They are selling +/- one pound cryovac packages of small pieces of mahi mahi ($2.99/lb) and Alaskan cod )$3.99.lb). These appear to be trimmings and are actually nice in a saute or tossed into a soup.