• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2002–2011)

Stone

I just finished some Trader Joe's "Savory Thins" original crackers and I am really impressed with them. They had to be the cruchiest, crispiest (is that even a word? :raz: ) crackers I have ever eaten.

From the ingredients list: Rice flour, sesame seeds, natural flavors, safflower oil, salt, garlic. The label also states "no preservatives, no artificial flavors, no artificial colors". A serving size is 15 crackers :shock: for a total of 125 calories and 18 fat calories.

They have an immediate sesame taste to them and have a sort of sheen to them, as well.

Hopefully, I will be buying these again. You never know if Trader Joe's will continue carrying an item, or not... :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I just finished some Trader Joe's "Savory Thins" original crackers and I am really impressed with them. They had to be the cruchiest, crispiest (is that even a word?  :raz: ) crackers I have ever eaten.

From the ingredients list: Rice flour, sesame seeds, natural flavors, safflower oil, salt, garlic. The label also states "no preservatives, no artificial flavors, no artificial colors".  A serving size is 15 crackers  :shock: for a total of 125 calories and 18 fat calories.

They have an immediate sesame taste to them and have a sort of sheen to them, as well.

Hopefully, I will be buying these again. You never know if Trader Joe's will continue carrying an item, or not... :hmmm:

Those are some of the most satisfying little crackers around ! I love them with the Stilton w/ ginger and mango.............

I love Savory Thins, both the regular size and the minis. Light, crisp, with the perfect amount of flavor. TJs has been carrying them consistantly for at least the last few years, so I wouldn't worry too much about finding them again.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

But have you noticed how the Roasted Garlic Salsa (in a jar) has disappeared? The last time I was in the staff said it was discontinued. That is so weird - I've been buying it at one TJ's or another for over 10 years! Speak up in the store if you miss it too, and maybe they'll bring it back.

Personally I'm glad the Capitol Hill store is open (even with its execrable parking garage) because it's now the closest one to the ferry.

I just finished some Trader Joe's "Savory Thins" original crackers and I am really impressed with them. They had to be the cruchiest, crispiest (is that even a word?  :raz: ) crackers I have ever eaten.

From the ingredients list: Rice flour, sesame seeds, natural flavors, safflower oil, salt, garlic. The label also states "no preservatives, no artificial flavors, no artificial colors".  A serving size is 15 crackers  :shock: for a total of 125 calories and 18 fat calories.

Those are some of the most satisfying little crackers around ! I love them with the Stilton w/ ginger and mango.............

Those SAVORY THINS are awesome.

I usually serve them with a hunk of goat cheese and hot pepper jelly or Thai sweet chili sauce poured over the top.

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

You all have made me a TJ junkie! I stopped by a Lake Oswego, OR store on my way from Salem to Portland, and only spent $45 because I had to avoid frozen food.

I never liked it becuz of the shrink wrapped produce and the lack of a warm-blooded butcher to talk with. But based on this thread, I focused on jarred and bagged goodies... and what goodies I found!

Thai Lime Peanuts

Mini Savory Crisps

Eggplant Tapanade

Olive Tapanade

Marinara with Vodka

Spicy Walnut halves

Simmer Sauces Galore!

And my fav.... "Simply Cashews, Almonds and Cranberries" - a trail mix that will forever be served at any and all cocktail parties! YUM!

I can't wait to find a local store so I can begin investigating the frozen department. Most of the food I could make from scratch, and usually do, but having that bounty in the pantry sure makes a quick, delicious meal a reality on those nights when you don't have any other choice.

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

More goodies I've discovered and love:

Sugo di Pomodoro Canned Tomato Sauce - excellent for quick lasagna

Mango and Ginger Go Nuts Trail Mix (dried mangoes, crystallized ginger, almonds and cashews)

Ritter Marzipan and Dark Chocolate Bars

Red Aussie Licorice

Good, inexpensive Jean-Marie Champagne ($19.99 a bottle)

Blood Orange Soda

More goodies I've discovered and love:

Sugo di Pomodoro Canned Tomato Sauce - excellent for quick lasagna

Mango and Ginger Go Nuts Trail Mix (dried mangoes, crystallized ginger, almonds and cashews)

Ritter Marzipan and Dark Chocolate Bars

Red Aussie Licorice

Good, inexpensive Jean-Marie Champagne ($19.99 a bottle)

Blood Orange Soda

You lucky New Yorkers.  You've got everything--the Union Square Greenmarket, Whole Foods, Balducchi's, Citarella, Zabars, Fairway, and now...

Trader Joe's to Open in New York

True, all true, but WFM and TJ's have been in Philly for some time now, and there's the Reading Terminal Market to boot. That new DiBruno's has also closed the gap somewhat in terms of specialty foods.

Sure, there's no place quite like New York, but your new home isn't too shabby either.

You forgot the Italian Market. And tell her about the Chinatown bus to NYC for emergencies.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Sure, there's no place quite like New York, but your new home isn't too shabby either.

You forgot the Italian Market. And tell her about the Chinatown bus to NYC for emergencies.

Depending on the emergency, she may not need to take the bus to NYC Chinatown.

If she can't find it in ours, she can just hop on the El to 69th Street Terminal.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thanks for the heads up on these particular crackers.

Speaking of sesame seeds, I tasted an interesting (new, to me) product there recently: sesame seed "m&ms".

They were serving these as a free sample over chocolate pudding and whipped cream. Each individual sesame seed is coated with a thin layer of m&m-style candy coating in bright colors like shots for ice cream! (There may have also been a thin chocolate layer underneath, I'm can't remember). Anyway, I thought these were pretty cool. These could be a neat semi-adult substitution of those waxy shots! They would certainly be fun to serve over sundaes.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a Trader Joe's for the first time yesterday -- the one in Silver Spring, MD. After perusing this thread first, I had a list of recommended items to watch for. I had 45 minutes to shop. I came away with $65.43 worth of:

frozen french green beans

prosciutto

Total Greek yogurt

cornichons

cashew/macadamia butter

Cheese: brie, Red Dragon cheddar with ale and mustard (for dh, who loves to try a new cheese), Montchevre goat cheese 3-pack of crottins, Dubliner

Almond Patisserie cookie twists

garlic mustard aioli sauce

triple ginger cookies

Niman Ranch applewood smoked bacon

sliced almonds

panko breadcrumbs

Savory Thin rice crackers

and a few other goodies I'm not remembering. I picnicked in the car as I drove home on procuitto-wrapped brie (assembled at traffic lights!), Savory Thins, and a bottle of Mango juice drink. The crackers are very good. At home, we had the cookie twisty things for dessert and thought they were nice. I'm anxious to try the bacon -- I've never had anything finer than typical grocery store stuff.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Well done! :biggrin:

I went to a Trader Joe's for the first time yesterday -- the one in Silver Spring, MD.  After perusing this thread first, I had a list of recommended items to watch for.  I had 45 minutes to shop.  I came away with $65.43 worth of:

frozen french green beans

prosciutto

Total Greek yogurt

cornichons

cashew/macadamia butter

Cheese:  brie, Red Dragon cheddar with ale and mustard (for dh, who loves to try a new cheese), Montchevre goat cheese 3-pack of crottins, Dubliner

Almond Patisserie cookie twists

garlic mustard aioli sauce

triple ginger cookies

Niman Ranch applewood smoked bacon

sliced almonds

panko breadcrumbs

Savory Thin rice crackers

and a few other goodies I'm not remembering.  I picnicked in the car as I drove home on procuitto-wrapped brie (assembled at traffic lights!), Savory Thins, and a bottle of Mango juice drink.  The crackers are very good.  At home, we had the cookie twisty things for dessert and thought they were nice.  I'm anxious to try the bacon -- I've never had anything finer than typical grocery store stuff.

KathyM

• 7 months later...

I was disappointed that I couldn't find Trader Joe's Garlic Herb Cheese spread that came in the little tubs. They seemed to have all the other flavors but not the garlic. I should have asked if they stopped carrying it but forgot about it by the time I got to the checkout.

I still haven't forgiven them for discontinuing their Tamari Cashews. :angry:

I bought a bag of their Toasted Sesame & Ginger Potato Chips to try. I'm still trying to decide whether I like them or not.

They have a sweet note to them and the ginger is there but it's quite subtle. Evaporated Cane Sugar, Corn Syrup and Pineapple Juice are listed as ingredients and Ginger is the very last ingredient so no wonder it doesn't have a big presence.

I don't taste sesame at all. The ingredients list Sesame Oil as an ingredient and that's it in regards to the sesame.

They're okay, I guess, but nowhere near being a "destination" item.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If she can't find it in ours, she can just hop on the El to 69th Street Terminal.

Sandy, the link didn't work for me - and I'm curious about what's at the 69th St Terminal.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Only seen at Trader Joes:  Snackmasters Beef Jerky the absolute BEST of its kind, anywhere!!  No chemicals, no preservatives, and only $4.99 for 4 ounces!! 

And, TJ's is NO WalMart!  They pay their average workers $21/hr, well above industry averages,  provide health insurance, and they don't lock up any workers in the store overnight...

I am no apologist for Wal Mart but your comment about "locking workers up" needs some perspective.

Most of the worker abuse stuff is coming from labor unions who have been shut out of Wal Mart, via well orchestrated PR campaigns.

Most retailers large and small union and non union lock their doors at night while employees are working.

There are, as required by law, emergency exits that are accessible to all.

As for what employees are paid (or not paid) as a criteria, this is a much more complex area and beyond any real discussion here. Suffice to say, citing Wal Mart for "worker abuse" as a comparison to TJ is really stretching the definition of abuse.

TJ has a very interesting strategy. They are selling mostly private label stuff the quality of which one can debate endlessly. The only real comparisons on quality and price one can make are with other retailer's private label items--almost impossibly involved.

They basically, are attempting to convince consumers the TJ's branded items are equal to or better than other's branded items. it is hard to compare bulk pistachio nuts or olive oil for example.

We know what Wal Mart (and other retailers) strategies are, they are pretty up front about them.

--brand name items at low prices and we know how they get there. Oddly, Trader Joe's is owned by a huge multi national chain based in Germany who have a similar lowest prices approach to Wal Mart.

TJ's--here-- on the other hand are taking a more mystical approach.

The more apt comparisons to TJ's are operations like Stew Leonard's here in the NY, NJ, CT area and local chain supermarkets.

I shop occasionally at TJ's and frankly, as I have noted elsewhere here at eGullet, I don't see what the hoopla is all about. Sure there are some good buys but there is also a lot of crap. In fact, an outfit like Stew Leonard IMOP is far better across the board as well as Stop and Shop.

Hehe, I'm a Walmart virgin. I've never set foot inside one and don't intend to start any time soon.

However, I'm a huge TJ's fan. I mostly shop for produce at our local farmer's market (one of the few real ones in the area), but TJ's has some lovely specimens that aren't easy to find elsewhere (concord grapes was my prize in September). We have an incredible chain of gourmet stores here (AJ's) but their prices are sky high on almost everything. TJ's is product-competitive but wins hands-down on prices, especially on cheeses and deli items. I also like their frozen fish selections and some of their ready-made items like spanakopita and gyoza.

The main reason we shop there, however, is my DH's fondness for Two Buck Chuck (Three Buck here, but it'll do). Their Cabernet isn't the best I've ever tasted but it's drinkable for a regular dinner, and I really like the sauvingnon blanc for cooking and sipping on a budget.

Me - Love it.

Does any store, anywhere, stock every single item that we would all conclude to be the best of the best. Of course not. Even the most elegant of specialty stores...I bet I would find at least SOMETHING that I rate as average, or below average at that.

In my honest opinion, Trader Joes has many superior products. Products that are either a.) hard to find elsewhere, or, b.) of lower quality, or higher price, elsewhere.

So what do I than do? Simple - I purchase those products that I deem superior in taste, quality, or a bargain price when compared with others. Isn't that how we all shop?

I don't think anyone has yet said, on this thread at least, that trader joes has the best of the best of everything. Rather, people are simply saying that what they happen to purchase at trader joes, well...ROCKS!

Now, on to me....personally - I enjoy their:

Brie cheese's (they have a-many that are yummy and at great prices)

Goat cheese's

Select Cerials

Select juice's

dried fruits (simply for snacking)

certain chips/pretzels

Their chicken cordon blue is to die for - and they come (at least in my area) two to a package and they are simply enormous

Some good bacon varieties

Good muffins/bagels

nice selection of frozen foods - especially the pre-made o'rderves....appetizers.

Linz

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

their avocados are priced pretty well

I love the frozen mangos in smoothies

dried fruits and nuts are their biggest bonus, because they have tons of different varieties. I still haven't decided if I like their dried dragonfruit though.

Their frozen wild salmon is really cheap. Yes frozen isn't great, but it isn't all that bad either.

I like the goat cheese and olive pizza (even though their is one olive on the pizza :blink: )

morningstar products are way cheaper than at regular supermarkets

oh and flowers are very cheap too

all in all I only go to trader joe's for frozen foods or jarred items. Their produce and meat section if very limited/boring and I would rather go to the regular grocery store for that.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Sandy, the link didn't work for me - and I'm curious about what's at the 69th St Terminal.

Oops! Looks like I linked to a limited-time promotion.

Try this link instead:

H Mart, 7050 Terminal Square, Upper Darby

BTW and FWIW: The German company that owns Trader Joe's is Aldi, which also operates no-frills supermarkets in this country. Aldi stores in the Philadelphia area are usually cleaner and neater than those of their chief competitor, Save-a-Lot.

I had heard that the company's name was a contraction of the phrase "All Discount," which would certainly accurately describe their pricing policies both at the eponymous chain and at TJ's -- the latter, of course, relative to the category in which it competes.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I've become a big TJ's fan of late, especially -- gasp! -- their frozen food products. When I need a quick lunch fix, I love their chicken enchiladas or grilled vegetable burritos; the egg rolls are better tasting and far less greasy than from my local takeout place; the coconut chicken stixs and shu mai are great party food when I have friends over. I also like the quesadillas...7 minutes in the oven and I'm set to go.

And for the record, I'm not one of these folks who just pops all her food in the microwave...I cook dinner with family or the SO at least 5-6 nights a week, mostly using fresh ingredients from my local produce stand, Reading Terminal Market, Whole Foods...whichever place gives me the best quality for what I need to cook with. But even then, some nights if I've just spend 2 hours putting together a stuffed pork roast from scratch, it's nice to be able to grab a bag of TJ's great Balsamic Grilled Vegetables for on the side. TJ's are about the only frozen veggies and fruits I'll use, they're so much better than the standard supermarket brands and I feel no shame serving them :raz:

In my house we've been eating a lot better and spending a lot less each week since discovering TJs, so...no complaints from me about them (except the frozen rice bowls...ick...about the only thing I've had from there that I really *haven't* liked at all.)

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

Holiday items at Trader Joes: lots of great mixers for cocktails at Trader Joe's - sparkling blueberr, cranberry, apple, blood orange, pomegranate etc. Spicy cider good for making apple pies (hot cocktail) and for those who prefer a non alcoholic festive drink. No frozen turkey gravy, gasp! for eGulleteers I know, but it was really good and folks who can't make gravy or don't have time really loved it. Maybe it will be back by the next set of holidays. If you want a great glatt kosher turkey, get it at Trader Joe's but pick it up early or order it in, they always sell out about 4 days before the holidays. Roasted chestnuts vacuum sealed can be found with the dried fruit and nuts. For a special cheese presentation, check out the rosemary Marcona almonds, a little pricy, but excellent. Cheeses- see if you can find the Red Dragon mustard ale cheese, best price anywhere. Check out the English cheddar with carmelized onions and the Blue Castello as well. Rustique camembert is new, but make sure it is not too ripe when you buy it. Laurel Chennel's goat cheese is Trader Joe's branded in the similar brown and black label that have her name on it. There is also a new "hybrid" cheese Fontiago, cross between Asaigo and Fontina, let it come to room temp, it's creamy, mild with a little bite at the end. Rounds out a cheese plate nicely. Byrd crab meat is a nice and convenient buy, Indonesian crab, all claw meat, pasturized, no water, keeps in your frige unopened for up to a year. One pound of crab for about $9.00. Love Cabernet Franc? Try Runston's from Napa Valley, it is outstanding. The Merlot is a fine buy as well. Some stores will have a new Artisan bread called Epi Baguette. This is a par baked bread in the shape of a wheat shaft, each wheat kernel serves as a dinner roll. You finish the bread in your oven and it turns golden like wheat. The symbolism is lovely and the bread is very tasty. Serve it with the Devon double cream butter.