• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2002–2011)

Stone

Frequently Costco will do local wines. For example, if you are in Santa Barbara/Santa Maria look for Central Coast wines........great selection, good values !

To go off topic again, Costco does the same thing with local products. For example, in San Diego there's a popular chain of casual restaurants called Pat & Oscar's (used to be just "Oscar's" but they got sued by another restaurant called "Oscar's"). They serve a family style greek salad with a nice salad dressing that you can also buy at the restaurant. The San Diego Costco's started selling two-packs of Pat & Oscar's bottled dressing which my family loves. It's a much better deal at Costco, too, since the bottles Costco sells are almost little jugs of dressing where the bottles of dressing you can buy at the restaurants are much smaller and for a higher price.

If only Trader Joe's could do the same...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I could be wrong, but I think it is just Montgomery County (where I live) that has archaic liquor laws, not the surrounding MD counties. I find it VERY annoying. I trek to Alexandria or Tyson's Corner so I can go to a Trader Joe's with beer and wine even though I live right down the street from one. If enough people complain to Montgomery County about these ridiculous laws, maybe the county legislature will do something about it. I can't imagine how much money they lose because people like me drive into DC or Virginia to shop. I've also heard that this is a large reason why cool grocery stores like Wegman's are opening in Virginia but not Maryland. So much money is made from beer and wine sales that it automatically cuts the potential bottom line to a point that it isn't worth it to them to venture into Montgomery County. Even though we are one of the most affluent, fastest growing, and progressive places to live in the country we are stuck with Giant and Safeway for supermarkets. Those laws really hurt us.

Unfortunately in Washington the liquor laws prohibit the sell of liquor in grocery stores.  :angry:

You're not the only one who lives in a state with stupid liquor laws. I was a little baffled to hear everone talking about booze at TJ's because there's no such thing here in Maryland.

The TJ's in VA have alcohol. There's one in Old Town on King street I think and the one I go to is on Leesburg Pike.

Edited by takomabaker (log)

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this is a new product or not, but it is really good!

Trader Joe's Cocoa Hazelnut Spread

12.35 oz for $2.69 (in Northern CA)

Ingredients: Sugar, Hazelnuts, Sunflower and Hazelnut Oil, Cocoa Powder, Whey Powder, Milk Powder, Soy Lecithin.

No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.

Product of Turkey.

Besides the reasonable price, there is NO peanut oil!!! (This is in contrast to American-distributed Nutella). I really dislike the peanut taste in this context as (for me) it completely takes away from the hazelnut flavor.

I'll have to compare it side by side with Europe distributed Nutella, but this is tasting great!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I could be wrong, but I think it is just Montgomery County (where I live) that has archaic liquor laws, not the surrounding MD counties. I find it VERY annoying. I trek to Alexandria or Tyson's Corner so I can go to a Trader Joe's with beer and wine even though I live right down the street from one. If enough people complain to Montgomery County about these ridiculous laws, maybe the county legislature will do something about it. I can't imagine how much money they lose because people like me drive into DC or Virginia to shop. I've also heard that this is a large reason why cool grocery stores like Wegman's are opening in Virginia but not Maryland. So much money is made from beer and wine sales that it automatically cuts the potential bottom line to a point that it isn't worth it to them to venture into Montgomery County. Even though we are one of the most affluent, fastest growing, and progressive places to live in the country we are stuck with Giant and Safeway for supermarkets. Those laws really hurt us.

I wonder.

After all, the entire Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has a liquor control regime as restrictive as Montgomery County's, and that hasn't kept Wegmans, Trader Joe's, Costco and other retailers that sell alcohol elsewhere from opening here.

And I'm pretty sure that Montgomery County, Pa., is at least as affluent as Montgomery County, Md. The one Wegmans currently open in the Philadelphia area is in the former.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 months later...

I have 2 new addictions - the Maître Pierre Tarte d' Alsace - it's a french style tarte with ham, carmelized onions & gruyere cheese. DELICIOUS!! :wub:

And the Trader Ming's hot and sour soup (it's in a jar). Way too much sodium but man it's good!!!!

I tried their peppermint chocolate cake but found that the fondant layer on top tasted too much like it was flavored with mouthwash. However the cake was very chocolatey and moist and the chocolate ganache piped around the edge was wonderful.

Anyone else have any new finds at TJs?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

One of my greatest disappointments was when they discontinued garlic pistachios.

Shit, they stopped making those?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

They discontinued one of my favorites too - the balsamic chicken breasts. Tasted like it was made on a charcoal grill. Had the grill marks and everything (could they have been fake?) Either way - it was terrific.

They replaced it with some other (not as good) prepared chicken breasts. And then they pulled those because of some problem with a threat of food borne illness (story here)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

One of my greatest disappointments was when they discontinued garlic pistachios.

But the Thai chile lime cashews are nice...

Has anyone tried the chile-dusted mango slices in the dried fruit section? Just noticed these the other day.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

I use to have a neighbor years ago who was a food broker who did business with trader joes. I forget what the number was (but it was very high) that a product had to sell in order to stay there. They really do keep the prices reasonable because of their volume buying but if something stops selling or doesn't sell enough, it's outta there and it's not coming back. My favorite that they stopped carrying was Boysenberry juice.

In general I like TJ's cheeses and the prices are substantially lower than elsewhere. Their frozen fish and frozen vegetables are good too. We're suppose to be getting one out here sometime soon (fingers crossed.)

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

While on vacation in Southern California recently, we ate a spinach and mushroom quiche at a winery cafe. We saw the proprietress popping it into a microwave out of a box so we had doubts that it'll be any good. On the contrary, it turned out quite delicious that we asked what product it was. It was Trader Joe's. Not being from these parts, I thought TJ was a brand you can find in a supermart. It was such a disappointment not finding it before we left for home. Having just read this thread, I'm hitting myself on the head for not having the presence of mind to surf on the net, because we were that close to one....we went to the Michael's at Vista Way, Oceanside. Duh.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Has anyone tried the chile-dusted mango slices in the dried fruit section?  Just noticed these the other day.

I bought these recently out of sheer curiosity. They are just bizarre. There is no other word to describe them. On the first taste, I didn't like it at all, but then it kind of grew on me. I don't think you'd eat more than one piece in a sitting though.

Has anyone tried the chile-dusted mango slices in the dried fruit section?  Just noticed these the other day.

I bought these recently out of sheer curiosity. They are just bizarre. There is no other word to describe them. On the first taste, I didn't like it at all, but then it kind of grew on me. I don't think you'd eat more than one piece in a sitting though.

It sounds like they just are something you have to try! I really like fresh mangoes with lime juice and dusted with red chile so I was attracted to the idea. Thanks for the comments.

I enjoyed the buffalo milk mozzarella they sold over the summer at my local TJs. Whenever I've purchased from Whole Foods, the cheese had a disagreeable sour taste in the middle -- and it was twice the price. However, the TJ version has always been very clean and pleasant on the palate.

I just purchased two packages of vacuum-packed peeled chestnuts, which I plan to use in a chocolate/chestnut cake next week.

My four-year-old son loves the Best-in-Show hot dogs -- i love them because they're free of additives. They spoil quickly, though, so once I open a package I have to freeze the rest in snack-size baggies.

For quick meals, I like the curry simmer sauce, which I jazz up with vegetables and frozen shrimp. I also cheat by buying the frozen 1# packages of exotic mushrooms and using them in cream-based pasta sauces. We've also been pleased with the quality of frozen fruit; my husband goes through several bags of the frozen peaches each week for his smoothies.

My recent addictions: the dried dragon fruit. I can sit down and eat a package in one sitting. Our local TJs also has the best clementines -- very sweet, juicy, and virtually seedless. I've been gorging for weeks.

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

While on vacation in Southern California recently, we ate a spinach and mushroom quiche at a winery cafe. We saw the proprietress popping it into a microwave out of a box so we had doubts that it'll be any good. On the contrary, it turned out quite delicious that we asked what product it was. It was Trader Joe's. Not being from these parts, I thought TJ was a brand you can find in a supermart. It was such a disappointment not finding it before we left for home. Having just read this thread, I'm hitting myself on the head for not having the presence of mind to surf on the net, because we were that close to one....we went to the Michael's at Vista Way, Oceanside. Duh.

You never know when a TJs is going to pop up in your neighborhood.

A friend who was out here a couple of years ago for a dog show was bemoning the fact that we had TJs and they had so many goodies that she couldn't get at home.

A few months later I got an email saying that she was on her way to an appointment and nearly caused an accident when she saw a Trader Joe's sign and hit her brakes. The Alexandria, VA store had just opened. She said all during her appointment she was barely able to concentrate and as soon as possible got away and made a (very expensive) stop at TJs and stocked up on a lot of goodies.

Write to them, get your friends to write, ask and explain the customer base in your area.

That is what we did to get one in the Antelope Valley. We sent population distribution statistics.

The store has been busy since the minute it opened.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Write to them, get your friends to write, ask and explain the customer base in your area.

That is what we did to get one in the Antelope Valley.  We sent population distribution statistics.

The store has been busy since the minute it opened.

Alas.......I live in Malaysia. But, hoping against hope, you think they'd consider opening an overseas branch? :rolleyes:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I just purchased two packages of vacuum-packed peeled chestnuts, which I plan to use in a chocolate/chestnut cake next week.

are you sure they're peeled? I bought a package of chestnuts from the TJ's freezer section and didn't look closely enough. They turned out to be unpeeled - what a pain in the _ _ _!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Just picked up a box of these chestnuts (they were near the baking items). Vacuum packed inside a box, "peeled, cooked and ready to use." We haven't tried them yet but they look good.

Another new product I like: cranberry dinner rolls. Soft white rolls with studded with berries--would make a great ham or turkey sandwich.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

are you sure they're peeled?  I bought a package of chestnuts from the TJ's freezer section and didn't look closely enough.  They turned out to be unpeeled - what a pain in the _ _ _!

I bought the vacuum packed ones as Laurie did -- definitely peeled.

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

are you sure they're peeled?  I bought a package of chestnuts from the TJ's freezer section and didn't look closely enough.  They turned out to be unpeeled - what a pain in the _ _ _!

I bought the vacuum packed ones as Laurie did -- definitely peeled.

Thank you both, I will go look for them.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Am I the only odd person around who really dislikes Trader joe's? Maybe it is just our local branch that is bad, but it seems to me to be just a purveyor of processed food. Everything is in a jar or frozen. They do have a produce section, but it is sad. They shrinkwrap all the veggies! And the bread is stale and yucky. The cheese is mostly weird lowfat stuff.

I go in there occassionally because their frozen artichoke hearts are cheaper than the ones at the supermarket. My 3 year old likes their frozen taquitos, but then, he likes Taco Bell too.

I just don't get it. Whole Foods may be expensive and smarmy, but at least they have good produce, and a cheese section that is stocked with good cheese.

It seems to me that TJs is for people who mainly like to nuke something from the freezer section when they make dinner.

These things may vary regionally. I'm not a fan of the cheese and produce sections of WF *or* TJs. WF have a few nice items in each section but are not dependable. TJ is worse and the one near me has serious handling issues. I won't buy milk at TJs because of the likelihood that it's been sitting out while waiting to be stocked. Frozen foods may have thawed.

That said, I wouldn't go to TJs at all if they didn't have Fage Total Greek yogurt and diet Hansen's ginger ale, whereas there are quite a few things I buy at WF. Just not in the cheese and produce sections.