• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

claudia fleming's the last course

okay guys, this is some serious stuff

i've lost my copy of claudia fleming's the last course

i loved it

and now i see it's not printed anymore and costs over a hundred bucks

i know i should have posted this on the cookbook section, but i have the feeling that i might get more help here

i am desperate

does anyone know where i can get a copy (online as i live in france)?

or if one of you has two or don't care about that book, i'd love to give you some money for it...

pretty please xxx

- fanny

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

Holy smokes!! I did some searching and found it for as high as $895!!! Is it that amazing? I haven't seen it yet but you've peaked my interest so I'm going to try getting it from the library. The best price I could see is here: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/usedbooks/ge...n=9780375504297

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Last month someone was looking for this book on chowhound.com. I just checked it out of the library and plan to copy it. I cannot resist a cookbook people rave about.

A few years ago I really wanted to find a copy of "The Unprejudiced Palate," by Angelo Pellegrini. The small paperback was going for $200+!!! Finally it was re-issued in 2005. Let's hope the same happens with The Last Course.

i couldn't believe this cookbook is going for that much so I had to check Amazon and they had used sellers, the cheapest is $124.

wow, i didn't know it was a collectible, I wonder how much more it would be with her signature.

I'm going to have to put my copy in a plastic bag to keep it in Mint condition. :biggrin:

good luck.

i couldn't believe this cookbook is going for that much so I had to check Amazon and they had used sellers, the cheapest is $124.

wow, i didn't know it was a collectible, I wonder how much more it would be with her signature.

I'm going to have to put my copy in a plastic bag to keep it in Mint condition. :biggrin:

good luck.

There is a signed copy on e-bay for $875 US.

Yikes! I'm sorry I waited too long to get this cookbook as well. I've checked it out of hte library numerous times and it was definately on my "to buy" list.

I searched on Random House to see if there was any news for a re-issue; in paperback perhaps but found nothing. I send them an email and will update here if they respond.

(Please, add me to the list if any one is interested in selling their copy.)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I don't really think they're comparable books. Dorie's book is a general text covering a broad spectrum of desserts. Claudia's book is very specific: it tells you how to make the desserts of Gramercy Tavern. I also wouldn't describe it as overhyped, given that there are so few copies in existence.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

So out of interest i emaileed gramercy tavern asking if they had any extra copies of the book the were willing to part with. Unfortunately the told me that they dont....but yesterday, nearly a month later, I randomly receieved an email from claudia fleming herself (how cool is that!?) thanking me for my interest in the book and saying that she was currently in the process of trying to get the book republished, and is hoping that it will be available again sometime next year.

I thought you guys would want to know that before going out and spending $200 on it :)

My best,

-Charlie

• 2 weeks later...