• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mia Stainsby's Top Twenty

barolo

The weekend Vancouver Sun featured a dining and wining section that included Mia Stainsby's list of her top 20 restaurants (in alphabetical order):

Aurora Bistro

Bacchus

Bin 941 and 942

Bishop’s

Blue Water Café

C Restaurant

Chambar

Cioppino’s

Fuel

Gastropod

Jules

Lumiere

Nu

Parkside

Raincity Grill

La Regalade

Sun Sui Wah

Tojo’s

Vij’s

West

Comments?

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

Hmmmmm ....

My impression is that these are her personal faves(?) If so, there's not much one can say. If however, this is her list of what she feels are the best this city has to offer ...

Are the Bins still "it'? I like 'em, but think many others could be on the list ahead of them.

Same for Bishops. Never eaten there, but wonder if it still knocks it out of the park.

Nu has not been the same after year one.

Sun Sui Wah? No Kirin, Sea Harbour, etc. ? We really need to expand our knowledge of Chinese cuisine beyond SSW.

Ditto for Tojo's. And there's no Happa or Guu. Whattup?

A.

Yes, I would say it is her personal list, but perhaps a personal list for publication.

My first reaction was: That's a lot of restaurants. Reviewing new restaurants each week and keeping up with 20 favourites seems like a daunting task. Especially when she has a whole other list of over 20 good value restaurants.

I don't eat out enough to come up with a top 20 myself.

Cheers,

Anne

• 2 years later...

Mia Stainsby reviews Judas Goat and likes it:

Judas Goat reimagines the Spanish experience

"They did want Judas Goat to be a place for a nibble and a drink before moving on to bigger bites at nearby nosheries like his Irish Heather or Boneta. They’ve been pleasantly surprised to find people don’t want stopgap. They want dinner, so they stay and work through most of the menu."

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

It got raves from a colleague of mine the week it opened. Noteworthy to me because she stumbled upon it, had no idea it was new and went back again a few days later because it was so good.

Cheers,

Anne

Same for Bishops. Never eaten there, but wonder if it still knocks it out of the park.

A million times "Yes".

It got raves from a colleague of mine the week it opened. Noteworthy to me because she stumbled upon it, had no idea it was new and went back again a few days later because it was so good.

I was thrilled with the Judas Goat, went there on the evening it opened. The food was fast, and rock solid. Will go back, if only for the foie.

Pursuit of Chefery: A Culinary Student's Blog