• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I take my wife to Morimoto?

Chris Hennes

Whilst watching Iron Chef the other night my wife mentioned that she would like to eat at Morimoto. Hey, who am I to argue with that? :) Why, exactly, she wants to eat there, is beyond me: she is not a sushi eater (yet! she says it will take several more years of marriage before I have convinced her to try it, so there is hope!). I, on the other hand, will eat anything and everything (at least once!). Well, so I made the reservations, but I still question going there. I gather this is not the kind of place where everyone has to get the tasting menu - is that correct? So she could order something "normal" and I can get the Omakase? Or would that be too awkward in terms of serving/coursing? Also, I have read elsewhere on eG that the sushi bar is the place to sit: is that true even if one of you isn't eating sushi?

Edited to correct spelling of Omakase...

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I've been there with people that don't like sushi, there's plenty more that that on the menu.

The rock shrimp tempura, the chicken ramen, the (roasted) black cod miso, are all very popular there, and there's lots more.

I doubt they'd have a problem with only one person having the omakase, I think they could handle it.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Usually with tasting menus, as with omakase, the whole table must get it. I could be wrong, as I have not eaten at Morimoto. But with my experience, tastings are generally done with all participating or not at all.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

I've eaten there when the entire table ordered omakase, and when only part of the table ordered omakase and it was fine every time.

They don't expect the entire table to order the omakase. If you want want it, order it. If she doesn't want it, that's fine too. Just let her know that she should eat slowly though because sometimes it takes a lot of time to get through all of the omakase courses.

Oh yeah, and don't worry about her not eating sushi, there's plenty on the menu that is cooked.

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

I have also been there and had the omakase while my companion ordered off the menu. It isn't a problem at all. Also, just the be clear, the omakase is not all sushi, it is a mix of dishes that includes some raw, but many cooked. It is most enjoyable, but if you want all, or even mostly, sushi, you should order from the menu as well.

Thank you all for your advice: my wife is generally a really good sport about trying new and strange foods, but she currently draws the line at raw fish. It sounds like that won't be a problem at Morimoto, however, since she can just order off the menu, and I can still get the Omakase (I nearly always get the tasting menu when I go to a place I haven't been to before: I'm not fixated on sushi, just on variety).

Would it still be worthwhile to ask for seats at the sushi bar?

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Just make sure she is not expecting to meet Morimoto. The probability of meeting him was higher before he opened his place in NYC.

Haha, good point. We are more interested in the food than in Morimoto himself (no offense to Morimoto)... She grew up in Philly but never had the chance to go to any decent restaurants there, so we've started to hit up some of the more popular ones. She was pleased with Susanna Foo, which was pretty exotic by normal standards, so she is trying to branch out more, I think.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

OK, another question: my wife was browsing the menu and noticed several categories that don't quite match up with the standard European course layout... neither of us knows anything about Japanese cuisine, so we can't figure out how many courses to order. Any advice on this? The menu lists "cold dishes," "hot dishes," "entrees," "soup/salad," and "noodles." I was thinking something like

1) Either a hot or cold dish (appetizer)

2) Noodles

3) Soup or salad

4) Entree

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 3 weeks later...

Well, to answer my own question, "yes, I can take my wife to Morimoto."

We went Saturday evening, sat at the sushi bar (we reserved through OpenTable and asked to be seated there), I ordered the Omakase (upper level) and she off the menu, and it was fantastic. The desserts were lackluster, but I was very happy with everything else. A few questions for those who have been there more than I have.

1) When we arrived and were seating, after a few minutes an Amuse was brought out: a wonderful coconut soup with a ceviche of some kind in it. When we got home we realized that we had not seen anyone else at the sushi bar (or anywhere else, for that matter) get served this amuse - what gives?

2) Do any of you have a "menu" from your first Omakase? I am trying to recall all of the things we were served, but I couldn't always understand the sushi chef when he told me what kind of fish everything was. In particular, there was a firm white fish in the sashimi course that was delicious, but I have no idea what it was!

3) Obviously I should have asked this before going, but any dessert recommendations? The Omakase came with something that tasted very much like pumpkin pie, and my wife ordered a chocolate cake with some kind of green tea gelato. Neither were particularily good, at least in comparison to the rest of the food there.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org