• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2008 Michelin elevates restaurants

MaxH

To accomodate his restaurant, they ruined the front lobby and took away one of the best bars in the city.

Interesting, didn't know that...

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

The LA Times wrote today that the tiny town of Yountville is now officially home to 6 stars. Not bad for a little strip of road smaller than my residential street. Can't wait for our trip in early November!

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

The LA Times wrote today that the tiny town of Yountville is now officially home to 6 stars.  Not bad for a little strip of road smaller than my residential street.  Can't wait for our trip in early November!

There are small towns and there are small towns. :laugh::cool:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

There are small towns and there are small towns.  :laugh:  :cool:

At the beginning of November I'll be waking up each morning at an inn directly next door to Bouchon bakery. Rising each morning to the smell of buttery pastry and coffee sounds fine to me. Oh how hard it will be to have to choose each night from Redd, Ad Hoc, Bouchon, or Bistro Jeanty. To have such troubles . . .

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

At the beginning of November I'll be waking up each morning at an inn directly next door to Bouchon bakery. Rising each morning to the smell of buttery pastry and coffee sounds fine to me. Oh how hard it will be to have to choose each night from Redd, Ad Hoc, Bouchon, or Bistro Jeanty. To have such troubles . . .

God, life can be so brutal can't it Jason!! :biggrin:

I wish they had a smiley face to indicate extreme jealousy and rage. I guess we will just have to go with this... :angry:

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Heads-up on Bouchon bakery: It has been getting a LOT of downhill reports lately on CH, Yelp, and from Locals (Samgiovese, care to comment?). Apparently they can't keep staff...

I've read those less than favorable reports but I'm just going to plug my ears and pretend I didn't see them! Getting a Bouchon croissant and cup of coffee in the cold mornings of November is one of my favorite things on earth. I'm just hoping they'll deliver.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

(Samgiovese, care to comment?). Apparently they can't keep staff...

Heading up today for the weekend. Had a chocolate donut, pain raisin and chocolate almond croissant last week that were more like the old days. Truthfully, they could serve Sara Lee, and the'd still be swamped, just because of who and where they are.

I'll let you all know what we try this weekend and how the quality was.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

The other night, I was talking with a friend in the biz about the upcoming SoCal Michelin guide. He informed me that the guide will be launched on Nov. 16 with a luncheon. Restaurants that are included in the Michelin guide will be contacted that morning & invited to the luncheon. For those who receive a 2 or 3 star rating, they will be told that morning about their rating, before the luncheon. Apparently, Michelin likes to keep things a secret until the last moment.

My friend brought up one restaurant that might get a three-star rating: Urasawa. And that depends on how Michelin reviews Japanese restaurants in general. That would be quite exciting for a non-Western cuisine restaurant to get a Michelin three-star rating, ehh??

And I'm still sticking with my predictions re: Michelin 2 *s in Los Angeles:

Providence on Melrose

Mélisse in Santa Monica

Ritz-Carlton, Huntington in Pasadena

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Gayot dropped The French Laundry from its annual "Top 40 Restaurants in the U.S." list that was released a few days ago. :huh:

Anyone know what's going on here? :shock:

Considering that Michelin just reaffirmed the three-star rating of this restaurant, I'm left quoting Miss Clavel from "Madeline": Something is not right. :hmmm:

Gayot dropped The French Laundry from its annual "Top 40 Restaurants in the U.S." list that was released a few days ago.  :huh:

Anyone know what's going on here?  :shock:

Considering that Michelin just reaffirmed the three-star rating of this restaurant, I'm left quoting Miss Clavel from "Madeline": Something is not right. :hmmm:

"Here" as in there is something not right at The French Laundry or as in something not right at Gayot?

I believe the latter considering there are restaurants like Silks on their list. Silks vs. TFL? Puleeeeeze!

Reading all the lists in that 2007 Restaurant issue of Gayot shows me it is all BS. I suspect that they simply missed the inclusion of TFL on the list. ooops :shock: Even so, I think they tried too hard to be geographically inclusive. I'm not saying that NYC is where all the great restaurants or chefs are at, by any stretch, but really, not one of their top five pastry chefs from NYC? C'mon. I will take Michelin's lists over Gayot any day.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Heads-up on Bouchon bakery: It has been getting a LOT of downhill reports lately on CH, Yelp, and from Locals (Samgiovese, care to comment?). Apparently they can't keep staff...

the entire mgmt staff of both places has turned over since february.

I look forward to seeing the Los Angeles Michelin. I'm from the Bay Area and only in LA occasionally, but food-sophisticated Bay Area friends who spend time eating there (and know locals who know where to go) come back very impressed. ("With which places," my So-Cal friends always demand to know. Hey, I'm just repeating what I hear.)

I am wondering about Chez TJ. I haven't been there yet, have only seen the place from the outside, it looked nice. I am surprised by the 2 stars just because it doesn't even come close to make the Top100 list of the Chronicle. In fact, the most recent review by Bauer basically rips the place apart (Chez TJ Review at the Chronicle

Does anyone have a clue how those two really different impressions can be explained?

I am wondering about Chez TJ. ... I am surprised by the 2 stars ... most recent review by Bauer basically rips the place apart ... Does anyone have a clue how those two really different impressions can be explained?

Yes, for what it's worth. (I've known the restaurant for many years, through all its chefs.) Chris Kostow took over the kitchen a couple of years ago (from Campton Place in SF), brought a newly international, edgy style, and earned first one, then two Michelin stars. (The latter based reportedly on eight inspection dinners.) If anyone's only experience there was pre-Kostow, forget your impressions and visit again. When knowledgeable complaints (public or private)* have come to my ear during the Kostow years they've tended to concern service, not the kitchen (Bauer's too, in my quick reading). Some notably stable, loyal senior front staff (for more than 15 years) moved on, a few years back, and there's been turnover since then if I remember. I think the new attention will be a spur toward fixing anything that needs work.

I've dined there more than most people, starting before the eponymous chef TJ died. (First posted dining notes on the Internet in 1991.) Had many good experiences. It's also a place that resonates with diners interested in food -- diners who are interested, ask questions, appreciate. Many people find they can establish a good rapport. Usual smart-diner tips apply, of course, to maximize this or any other high-end restaurant experience, like don't go there at the busiest time of week (say, Saturday 8PM), even if this takes work.

*I omit the wild cheap shots that you can find about this, and every other, high-end restaurant. One very audible diner at another table, soon after Kostow joined the business, seemed impossible to please. "This isn't French," she kept saying. "I know real French." No doubt she hurried home to break the news to the world, online, that TJ departs from the Guide Culinaire. Actually (a) the Michelin classes TJ, appropriately, as "Contemporary," and (b) you do in fact see some of the dishes and techniques in contemporary France (such as sous-vide). France also departs now from the Guide Culinaire.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the city with the most restaurants in Gayot's Top 40 list is New York (yay!). My personal favorite is Daniel. I haven't been recently, but the last time I dined there I had the paupiette of black sea bass in a crisp potato shell and it was truly delicious. I am also surprised to see that The French Laundry isn't in the Top 40. It was on the list <a href="http://www.gayot.com/restaurants/restaurantissue/2006/top40/main.html">last year</a>. They did, however, include Chef Thomas Keller's Per Se in this year's list. I have yet to try Per Se. Has anyone been?

Eater LA is running an unconfirmed report on some of the following results, at this point, I would consider it nothing more than rumor:

Two Stars:

Spago

Urasawa

Melisse

One Star:

Providence

Sona

Joes's in Venice

Patina

Link to the article:

http://la.eater.com/archives/2007/11/08/br...oiler_alert.php

Again all unconfirmed but seems like Providence got the shaft.

Results revealed through a temporary glitch.

Nobu in Las Vegas... haven't been... but really, though? One star?

I'm not surprised to see no three stars in Los Angeles. I think that is correct. Glad to see Urasawa get two stars.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I have to say I'm surprised at both Joe's and Valentino getting one star -- okay less so on Joe's than on Valentino which was a travesty in the food department but not so with service. Joe's is just missing finesse in plating, portion control, and sauces, but has a very refreshing take on flavor combinations. I haven't eaten at the *new* Patina but I could see the old one being worthy.

That list is a little shocking! Of course I didn't expect any 3-star ratings for Los Angeles, but I'm very surprised that several restaurants are missing from the 1-star category. No Lucques or Campanille? No stars for Bouchon Las Vegas? Wow.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

That list is a little shocking!  Of course I didn't expect any 3-star ratings for Los Angeles, but I'm very surprised that several restaurants are missing from the 1-star category.  No Lucques or Campanille?  No stars for Bouchon Las Vegas?  Wow.

I don't have my SFO Michelin handy - did Bouchon Napa get 1 star?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Bouchon Yountville did receive a 1-star rating.  Deservedly so.  We were there three times over the last week and they're operating at a very high level.  Amazingly high.

Not so in Vegas based on my experience. Salmon rilletes bland, fries an abomination, profiteroles icy and completely flavorless. I think Michelin nailed this one.