• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

finding obscure booze

Placebo

I'm in NYC for a week and one of my goals is to see if I can get my hands on a bottle or two of an obscure German liqour called Ratzeputz. It's an herbal tonic with a flavor akin to what I imagin Jaeger might have been like before it was commercialized and heavily sweetened. I suspect it's not even available stateside at all - the stuff that I've had was all brought over from Germany by a friend's family. Any suggestions on places to look would be greatly appreciated.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

I'm in NYC for a week and one of my goals is to see if I can get my hands on a bottle or two of an obscure German liqour called Ratzeputz. It's an herbal tonic with a flavor akin to what I imagin Jaeger might have been like before it was commercialized and heavily sweetened. I suspect it's not even available stateside at all - the stuff that I've had was all brought over from Germany by a friend's family. Any suggestions on places to look would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I can tell, it's not imported into the US. But I could be wrong.

In case I'm wrong, call Astor and ask for Greg. He won't lead you astray.

I just checked Bevmedia and it doesn't list it but that doesn't mean it can't be found. Bevmedia just lists products from the major distributors (Southern, Empire, Atlantic, Opic, and about 15 others)

There are a few smaller distributors out there that aren't in Bevmedia that could carry it, but it's pretty slim.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin