• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cape Cod Weekend

rooftop1000

It took me a week to decide if this trip was worthy of its own little story but the pictures of the fully equiped kitchen kept taunting me.

My parent got suckered into a week 41 timeshare in Falmouth Massachusets about 10 years ago. They havent been in 3 years because they wont put their demon dog in a kennel.

This year Karl and I took a Monday off and headed up there after work last Friday.

It is theoretically a 4 hour trip, just not on a Friday evening, even more so when you have no idea where you are going.

After contacting the resort security (at 1am) via the button next to the locked lobby we found we were at the wrong property..."go 1/2 mile north and I will meet you in 5 min" We get there to find a Scottish woman yelling into the same security speaker at the same security guy...""We are by the Bloody Pumpkins!! she then asks if We know where we are"" I sleepily reply Surfsider, and gruff "New Englander type" security guard shows up and checks us all in. Beer and bed.

In the morning we got to check out the suite with its full kitchen, 2 full bathrooms, living room with pull-out couch and bedroom with giant Jacuzi tub. NICE

We fired up the coffee maker and the Jacuzzi and discussed where to have breakfast.

Hearth and Kettle was the first place we found and thats where we ate.

http://www.hearthnkettle.com/menus_breakfast.php

I tried the Down'easter with fishcakes, poached eggs, potatoes, and cheese sauce

Great potatoes-chucnks of red potato fried up in bacon fat with paprika, nice runny eggs and the fish cakes didn't have any "freezer" taste

Karl had the Nor'easter with bacon chedder scones instead of the fish cakes, he liked mine better.

We then headed out to explore Woods Hole (Titanic Museum), climb down to a beach and see some light houses. We sort of skipped lunch because breakfast was late and huge but then back at the room we hit up the snack machine around 3pm for PopTarts and Chex mix :huh:

gallery_23695_426_405341.jpg

Full Kitchen...sort of

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Here is more of the kitchen

Plenty of dishes, cups, glasses, strainer, mixing bowl, even salt and pepper

gallery_23695_426_290614.jpg

While we can all appreciate the 4 different can/bottle openers....you call that a Knife?

gallery_23695_426_300925.jpg

T

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

But lets just say If I was staying there a week and my biggest pot was this...thing I would be hitting the store for an ...ahem Lobster Pot maybe

gallery_23695_426_19946.jpg

T

Maxine

My Webpage

After a nap we explored the resort which is ocean front and has a bay behind it. There is an outdoor pool, tennis court, bocci and shuffle board, and BBQ grills too. And of course an indoor salt water pool and hot tub. The pool was too cold but the hot tub was just right :smile:

For dinner we took mummy's suggestion and headed to Liam Maguire's

http://www.liammaguire.com/dinner

We had the crab cakes and a special of stuffed clams then the Jameson steak and baked scallops washed down with Pumpkin Ale for him and Harpoon IPA for me

My mom is just nuts about the Jameson steak I think the secret is Maggi Sauce...she said she will spring for the booze if I can recreate the sauce

T

oh yeah we bought her a glass as a gift

I wrote the restaurant....no Maggi - just Demi, booze etc

Maxine

My Webpage

Tim

RooBar kept coming up as a recomendation but looked more ecclectic than I wanted. I was there for simple piles of seafood. We may go back again next year though for the week and see more/eat more

After stuffing ourselves to new heights we walked Main St for a while and got some cinnamon bun icecream to take back and a cigar for hubby..(grape scented) :blink: ....it really smelled like grape

T

Maxine

My Webpage

Sunday morning we found ourselves at Betsy's Diner, housed in one of those chrome beasts dragged to the Cape in 2002 from PA. Lots of kitsch, murals unmatched Formica tables and a 45rpm JukeBox. Standard diner, service standard diner food...well the waffle with sauteed cinnamon apples was very good, but the toast wasnt very toasted.

Breakfast was just enough to hold us for the ride up Rt 6A to the Wellfleet Oyster Festival

gallery_23695_426_142496.jpg

since the lines in the tent werent very long we hit there first starting with a lobster roll and lobster bisque

we grabbed a few beers and then hit the oysters and little neck clams

gallery_23695_426_76480.jpg

gallery_23695_426_405411.jpg

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

As we were headed down Rt 28 just wandering through little towns we came across this guy so I just had to stop and act like a damn tourist and take his picture

cranberries anyone?

gallery_23695_426_43585.jpg

hubby wouldnt get out of the car :raz:

T

Maxine

My Webpage

Since we skipped lunch on Saturday I thought it only right to have it twice on Sunday, so when I saw this sign which I remembered from many a Chowhound post we pulled right in

gallery_23695_426_100593.jpg

and ordered ourselves a 2-way platter of Haddock and Oysters

gallery_23695_426_100611.jpg

and Onion Rings and French Fries :shock:

and after a while we got down to the oysters

gallery_23695_426_325651.jpg

Jacuzzi time - Nap time

tracey

still had decide where to have dinner :laugh:

Maxine

My Webpage

Last March, DH and I stumbled onto housekeeping units on the west coast of Florida. Full kitchen. Not a half-bad kitchen, really - not with a full window view of the Gulf to keep me company - but ill-equipped for what I wanted.

Before I started off to the local TJ Maxx I called to the main desk. Lo and behold, they had a whole store of stuff that people had purchased for their stays and left behind: large pots, large bowls, and the like. In the end we purchased a baking sheet (that we donated to the cause after leaving) and some knives (that we brought home), and only a few spices. You might check with your housekeeping folks. It may be you won't have to purchase as much as you'd think, to be able to use that kitchen.

Vacation kitchens can be fun!

That is one gorgeous cranberry harvest. Thanks for the "damn tourist" photo! :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

After deciding not to drive an hour north for the 2 for $21.00 lobster dinner we saw on a sign, and crossing off RooBar as too eclectic for our boiled and broiled seafood needs that night we took off with 2 names. Seafood Sams a local chain dive, and the Quarterdeck another little pub right in town. Seafood Sams looked closed, and if it wasnt it looked scarey :wink: So back to the Quarterdeck

http://www.capecoddiningguide.com/quarterdeck-restaurant.asp

Where we indulged ourselves with more stuffed clams, a huge bowl of mussels in white wine and of course a boiled lobster dinner and more baked scallops with sherry for me.

As I ordered a vodka cranberry before dinner I was amused to remember this is also know as a cape codder or something.

A little more ice cream later and our weekend was almost over...

Almost we still had all of Monday to play and started with a snack from the Mary-Ellen's Portuguese bakery, Fried dough with sugar and a Blueberry turnover for the road.

We didn't seem to be leaving by the same highways that we came up on, (Duh I missed a turn) and I was getting worried we might miss all the Tim Horton's doughnut shops I had seen on the way up. Not to worry I found one, so I shoved aside the last few bite of breakfast #1 and we dug into this

gallery_23695_426_122869.jpg

cruller apple fritter vanilla frosted

double chocolate bluberry fritter maple frosted

Dunkin donuts need not worry

Maxine

My Webpage

We cruised down the CT Turnpike much faster than we came up it and just in time for lunch (have to keep up you strength on the road) We arrived in New Haven CT for Pizza. Since it was Monday and lunch time I didnt have to worry about which world famous Pizzaria to try only Frank Pepe's is open on Mondays. That was a damn fine pizza, we got the Original with cheese...the regular Original is just tomato... nice thin crust little char on the bottom, crushed tomatoes and mozz. It was a knife and fork deal till it cooled off a little.

and that was that

had some cold cereal for dinner at home and back to reality

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

It wouldn't meet your seafood focus, but Osteria Civetta [spelling?] just opened on Main Street down towards the bank. So far, so good. The menu is relatively small, the young proprietress is from Bologna, and the vibe is informal bistro cozy. Homemade tagliatelle with ragu was light and well-spiced. There are about three or four appetizers, about four pasta dishes, four meats, and four or so sides (rosemary potatoes, cauliflower gratin, mixed salad). There's also a couple of cheese plates, one appetizer and one main. Portions are not the ridiculous five pounds of food on a plate. I didn't inspect the wine list or dessert list too closely, unfortunately. Out of the three Italian places on Main Street now, I'd definitely rank it tops, and probably tops for the immediate area.

• 11 months later...

Its time to head back to the Cape having snagged Mom's Timeshare again. This time for the whole week :biggrin:

I am looking at bringing a stock pot for lobster a nice chef knife and a fillet knife to go with the fishing equipment. 1 big frypan, foil, plastic wrap and zip bags in case we actually catch anything and some snack foods.

any new restaurant recomendations ...anyone?

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

• 2 weeks later...

This may be too late for your trip, and if so, you may have found out already that the Falmouth Hearth and Kettle has just closed - dropping business over time. Nothing new has emerged in the past year, that I can tell, except for a raw bar down on the Harbor, which I have yet to patronize although it opened this summer. Looks more like a summer watering hole, with a huge bar, TV screens etc.

In the DIY department, the local Stop and Shop was running an instore chicken lobster special for $5.99/lb last week. Falmouth Fish Market and Cataumet Fish Market are open year-round, and seem to be able to get local cod.