• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Xiao Guin Garden

brescd01

I tried this 3 year-old restaurant between 8th and 9th on Race. Ubelievably fine Cantonese. Warning: we ordered off the menu with the help of our waiter Ken. The best Cantonese meal I have had in Philadelphia. $30/person with driniks, tax, and tip.

• 2 weeks later...
What the hell is that??

it's a duck's head silly!

hey dagordon, how was the meal?

Excuuuuuuuuse me, it's a pigeon head.

The meal was delicious. Ken took care of us, though next time we need to convince him that we're up for more adventurous stuff. (We actually ordered the squab at the end of the meal when we saw them bringing out to the table across from us.) I'll post more details soon.

• 2 months later...

We were there for the third time: this is no fluke. Provided you have Ken choose for you or you read Chinese or are extremely knowledgeable about Chinese cuisine (we used method #1), I guarantee excellent Chinese food. Mixed seafood with yellow onions, steamed scallops with X/O sauce, and Chinese snowpees with garlic (none on the menu) were all wonderful. A meat dish from the menu, beef ribs in pepper sauce (or something like that) was good but not great.

You know, last night was the first time I realized just how ignorent I am of Cantonese cuisine. I have always ignored this in favor of the more exotic and hard-to-find varieties, but it is complex and I need to learn its possibilities.