• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Let's Talk About French Shellfish

Abra

I see so many interesting little shellfish here, and I'm not even really near the Med. I know oysters, mussels, and clams, of course, but what's all the other cool-looking stuff? Would you share your favorite shellfish and favorite ways to prepare them?

In answer to your question I will relate a little true story.

A number of years ago my wife I were having lunch in Bandol at a nice seafood restaurant. I can't remember what she ordered, but I ordered the "Plat de Fruits de Mer"

My glorious platter of all kinds of shell fish arrived sitting prettily on it's bed of ice and I tucked in.

Linda watching said "Oh those mussels look good; can I have one?" "Of course, says I" So she took a nice plump mussel and ate it. Delicious she says. We continue eating.

After a few moments she says "How was that mussel cooked"

I say: "Cooked?"

"Oh no"

"yes, raw"

Several years ago, when visiting the Market in Lyon we had a mixed multi level seafood plate with the usual suspects and something called a violet as I remember - it was strange - what was it?

The oysters were mindblowing.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I had a raw mussel in Aigues-Mortes, didn't like it but I'm a huge oyster fan and visited Belon only because of the famed oysters. I love the tellines, those tiny clams of the Camargue.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

Several years ago, when visiting the Market in Lyon we had a mixed multi level seafood plate with the usual suspects and something called a violet as I remember - it was strange - what was it?

It was indeed, also called a figue de mer: Microcosmus "petit monde."

As described by P. Wells "Violet or figue de mer: unusual iodine-strong, soft-shelled edible sea creature, with a yellowish interior. A delicacy along the Mediterranean, particularly in Marseille." It looks like this.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

As described by P. Wells "Violet or figue de mer: unusual iodine-strong, soft-shelled edible sea creature, with a yellowish interior. A delicacy along the Mediterranean, particularly in Marseille." It looks like this.

When you want to know something about France just ask John.

Many thanks,

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Merci John, but in the spirit of Abra's original question; How do you cook it?

As I recall, like everything on the plate it was raw.

Jmahl

As I recall, like everything on the plate it was raw.

Jmahl

Exactly. I've never seen them cooked. But since Abra asked about
your favorite shellfish and favorite ways to prepare them?
it's difficult say, with oysters, which I prefer raw, while mussels, bulots and coques I can come up with recipes for.

Edited by John Talbott for redundancy.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

See, I knew I did good when I asked John to pick a restaurant to meet at.

A lovely tower of raw seafood between us, all happy campers - well maybe the oysters werent happy but I was

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

You don't cook violets any more than you cook urchins.

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, I am now far away from France dealing with very different types of seafoods.

Tellines are not exclusively from Camargue but are found all over the sandy beaches of Southwestern Europe: the French South coast from Camargue to Catalunya, Spain, Portugal (where they are much esteemed in Algarve and sautéed with whole garlic cloves and coriander sprigs), the Landes, Charentes and Vendée.

They may be found as far south as South Morocco, where I am now. Yesterday, I met two young men from Agadir were going to gather them on the beach. They're quite easy to find, just scratch the wet sand where the surf stops and you'll dig up two or three of them at once.

Abra could you be a bit more specific about the various shellfish you find here? Pictures perhaps? I might be able to help you.

From the top of my head, where you are, you are likely to find tellines, violets, urchins, amandes de mer (a shiny type of clam), cockles, couteaux (razor clams), and perhaps sea anemones and squilles (mantis shrimp).

Edited by Ptipois (log)

I'll make a list of the shellfish I see and post it.  I'm not too interested in eating them raw, much more so in knowing how to cook them.

Well, one with interesting (snail) shells one does cook and serves with a peppery sauce is bigorneau which Mediterranee serves as an amuse-gueule. Photo here, in fact all the photos are kind of cool.

John Talbott

Bigorneaux can be gathered on rocks, but be careful; in France there are two main types. The dark grey, pointy-shelled one and the lighter-colored, dull-shelled one. The first one is edible, the second one is not.

They are probably my favorite shellfish, apart from mussels and urchins.

Another shellfish that can be gathered and is sometimes seen at fishmongers in the South is arapèdes, also called patelles or berniques (limpets). They generally are eaten raw or require a long cooking time.

We had a beautiful platter of raw shellfish in Lyon at Maison Rousseau in les Halles when I was there in February. There were tiny sea snails (what's the name in French?) that were mind-blowingly good.

Pictures are HERE (disclaimer: includes many mouth-watering pics of Les Halles. I decline all responsability if you hop on the Internet and buy tickets to Lyon after seeing these).

Cheers! :cool:

They are a type of sea squirt. They also make excellent bait.

Are sea anemones eaten in France commonly?

Are sea anemones eaten in France commonly?

In the South, yes. On the rocky part of the Provençal coast, so probably from the Italian border to the Camargue. At the very least, around Nice and Cannes. Sea anemones are made into omelets. People used to gather lots of them when I was little; no reason to think they don't anymore. I never had any of those omelets (though I did have poutine) and could not tell you what they taste like.

Thanks for the information, I have never seen them in France.

I have eaten snake lock anemones (Anemonia sulcata) in Spain and the common red anemone (sea tomato, Actinia equina) in Italy. In Spain they were always fried (although in one case they were used to garnish a "soup" of melon granita and almond milk) in Italy as sort of stew/soup.

The omelet sounds interesting, there is a sort of frittata with anemones mentioned in the Apicius collection.

We had a beautiful platter of raw shellfish in Lyon at Maison Rousseau in les Halles when I was there in February.  There were tiny sea snails (what's the name in French?) that were mind-blowingly good.

Pictures are HERE (disclaimer: includes many mouth-watering pics of Les Halles.  I decline all responsability if you hop on the Internet and buy tickets to Lyon after seeing these).

Cheers!  :cool:

Dear Vinotas:

Having been to Lyon several times all I can say is -- Belle Lyon. Thank you for sharing your photos with us.

Jmahl