• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why does anybody buy . . .

Fat Guy

The one I mostly buy and yet cringe when I do is pre packed salads. I buy them because someone at church or whatever decides to throw a spur-of-the-monent barbeque and says "come round in half an hour. BYO everything" so it's off to the supermarket. I then stand there and go through all the packs (I worked in fruit and vege for 5 years so I know what the quality is going to be like ) trying to find the one with the least amount of brown slimy leaves in the bottom of it. It's either that or just eat all meat for lunch. Not an entirely unattractive prospect for me but i try to at least pretend to think about my health..

Aw, common. There's nothing wrong with bagged salads. All the ingredients are pre-washed and in mostly-appropriate ratios. Why should I buy an entire head of four kinds of greens for the one night a week my wife and I want salad? The cost is the same, and I save time and refrigerator space.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The one I mostly buy and yet cringe when I do is pre packed salads. I buy them because someone at church or whatever decides to throw a spur-of-the-monent barbeque and says "come round in half an hour. BYO everything" so it's off to the supermarket. I then stand there and go through all the packs (I worked in fruit and vege for 5 years so I know what the quality is going to be like ) trying to find the one with the least amount of brown slimy leaves in the bottom of it. It's either that or just eat all meat for lunch. Not an entirely unattractive prospect for me but i try to at least pretend to think about my health..

Aw, common. There's nothing wrong with bagged salads. All the ingredients are pre-washed and in mostly-appropriate ratios. Why should I buy an entire head of four kinds of greens for the one night a week my wife and I want salad? The cost is the same, and I save time and refrigerator space.

You don't have to. I buy loose mesclun with a variety of salad leaves that I pick myself out of bulk boxes.

The salad packages often have a very soapy taste to me. It never seems to go away, and I don't like it.

I am by no means complaining of the convenience of it, just the quality. Maybe it's just australian bagged salad.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

OMG!  How hard is it to use your own bowl to mix water with Bisquick?!?!  And that sloppy, sloggy sound of batter being shaken in the jug!  OUCH.

I think a jug of pancake mix could be awesome if you're camping. . .

OMG!  How hard is it to use your own bowl to mix water with Bisquick?!?!  And that sloppy, sloggy sound of batter being shaken in the jug!  OUCH.

Bingo! We have a winner!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Bingo! We have a winner!

We should be keeping track of this stuff... have we actually managed to find *any* items that no one could think of a reasonable explanation for? As foodies we have a tendency to look down upon convenience foods, but I don't know about you, sometimes I value convenience. It was pointed out upthread, I think: sometimes when you come home from work at the end of the day, the last thing you want to do is cook. Some days for me I like to, and it's stress relief, and I eat "good" things, but some days, I just want a Manhattan and a frozen pizza. And then another Manhattan...

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org