• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why does anybody buy . . .

Fat Guy

Well on that note, what about Soy Milk? OK, if you're lactose intolerant.. but for health reasons? Milk should not need an ingredient list. I do not believe for a moment that it is actually any better for you than real milk. There's just no way...

A friend of mine did a research project on milk many many years ago, and since then, she has refused to drink it. It's true that soy milk like Silk sucks, but there are some much better (and more healthful) brands out there.

And why can't soy milk be better for you, or at least as good for you, as regular milk? Last I heard, cow's milk was really intended for, and most beneficial to, well, other cows.

Why does anyone buy a can of whipped cream when you can get a pint of cream, whip it and it tastes a hell of a lot better?

We usually whip our own, but sometimes for traveling we use canned - it's not always convenient to try and whip cream while, say, camping...

Why does anyone buy whole carrots that have already been peeled ?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Not everyone does!

I purchase yeast in bulk at the Outpost Coop in Milwaukee. We keep a small jar of yeast in the refrig and the rest goes into the freezer to be thawed out as needed. Since it dosen't clump, it is readily poured out of the freezer bag.-Dick

Gravy??? in any form jarred instant...canned...why buy it unless you are in a restaurant and it is part of your order?

gravy is so easy to make!

"taco seasoning" that is the worst to me I dont get it you can pull together fantastic tacos with as few as three individual seasonings

garlic, chile and cumin voila! oh yeah and have control of the saltiness

I never got Kool aid either a packet of color with some flavor in it???

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Hot dogs containing poultry or veggie hot dogs. Just awful. Why bother? God intended hot dogs to be either all beef or a mixture of beef/pork or beef/pork/veal.

I prefer chicken hot dogs over pork or beef...it's not out of any health concerns, I just think they taste better. I actually prefer chicken sausages of all sorts over pork ones. :huh:

I'm with you on the veggie and low fat ones though.

I've seen fat-free mozzarella in the dairy case with the other low-moisture mozzarellas for grating and melting. It stands out in pure white among all the other cream-colored mozzarellas that have fat in. Although "who buys this" might be the wrong question for this, as I've overheard staff at that particular grocery wondering out loud why they carry the fat-free stuff, as no one ever seems to buy it...

I kinda wanna get some to see what it's like. :hmmm:

And Kool Aid is fantastic...for dying wool. :biggrin: It comes in all those bright colors, and it makes your yarn smell all fruity. :biggrin:

Bagel?

They had pre-sliced apples at the supermarket the other day, and the lady that was giving out the samples had to use a knife to get the packages (one for each slice!) open.  Why not just use the knife to cut the apple on a cutting board and reduce chances that you'll cut yourself while cutting open the packages?

How did pre-sliced apples not turn all brown and icky?

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Kraft Dinner

Because I am lucky enough to have a young granddaughter who comes once a week for dinner and loves the stuff.

Does she love it even more than her grandmother's homemade mac&cheese?

I am afraid so - she also likes canned mushroom soup better than Nana's! In her defence she loves duck, lobster and crab but only the duck is likely to appear on her plate here!

Kraft dinner is just a totally different dish - I love it, too, but it's a different kind of comfort food. It tastes completely different from homemade, so it's in it's own category rather than being a pale imitation. At least in my experience.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Lunchables. They're stupid. It's like miniature airplane food. I realize they are appealing to kids, but how gullible can parents be. It's 9 parts packaging to 1 part food. If you really want to send your kids to school with crackers and cheese and tiny pieces of lunch meat, cut it up yourself for pity sake.

They had pre-sliced apples at the supermarket the other day, and the lady that was giving out the samples had to use a knife to get the packages (one for each slice!) open.  Why not just use the knife to cut the apple on a cutting board and reduce chances that you'll cut yourself while cutting open the packages?

How did pre-sliced apples not turn all brown and icky?

Preservatives. I forget which one it is, but the method was developed in the last 3 years or so. It's a pretty neat trick, but I wouldn't want to eat them.

I *think* so far my food scientist father has been kept from seeing them. The volcanic explosion when he does will be... interesting.

I want to know why people would buy the little bags of potato chips when the big bags are so much of a better value... :laugh:

Not about value at all ... it is easy to pack in a lunch box, to take on a picnic, etc etc ...

Why buy bottled water for heaven's sake? It is just water! :hmmm: which you can carry in your own containers, or thermos, or ...

I buy bottled water because my well water tastes like crap. And I don't like bothering with filters (Brita, etc.).

Ilene

Lunchables.  They're stupid.  It's like miniature airplane food. I realize they are appealing to kids, but how gullible can parents be.  It's 9 parts packaging to 1 part food.  If you really want to send your kids to school with crackers and cheese and tiny pieces of lunch meat, cut it up yourself for pity sake.

Yes, plus they are expensive and the kids rarely eat all the items. It is all package appeal. Luckily we had alot of Japanese kids bringing bento style lunches which have a similar and even cooler appeal so I did that for a while. Soy sauce in miniature pig or fish containers is hard to beat.

American processed cheese food slices... why not just slap a slice of orange-colored wax on your sandwich?

Because a true "grilled cheese" sandwich requires white bread (preferably Wonder), margarine from a "crock", and american cheese... :raz:

Yes, I know, nutritionally void, but that's the taste I crave when I'm thinking of grilled cheese. For any other sandwich, however, I totally agree with you.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Kraft "Parmesan" cheese in the green can... :wacko:

Hamburger helper

Bacos (isn't that what they call those cardboard fake bacon sprinkles?)

Precooked shrimp (especially the round trays where they're all lined up in a circle around the tepid cocktail sauce)

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Well on that note, what about Soy Milk? OK, if you're lactose intolerant.. but for health reasons? Milk should not need an ingredient list. I do not believe for a moment that it is actually any better for you than real milk. There's just no way...

Real soy milk doesn't need an ingredient list . . . or at least its list is very short: Soybeans, water. And if it is fresh, it's delicious, especially as part of a Chinese breakfast. One of the most delicious things I ever ate was a bowl of freshly made warm soy milk served with the most perfectly made, crispy, chewy, salty scallion pancakes, very early in the morning in a divey Chinese dumpling shop, which of course had vanished the next time I tried to go there.

But soy milk like this is very hard to find, so most people think soy milk is like Silk, or worse, that dreck sold in the aseptic cartons. Shameful. Same situation with tofu.

margerine.

For the love of God, why?

I see people already addressed the pound of instant yeast issue. It's WAY less expensive, and it truly does last a LONG time if you keep some of it in the fridge, and the rest in the freezer. I've done WELL over a year. In fact, I've still got some. I slacked off on baking bread. Need to get back to doing that. I should see if the yeast I still have is still working. If not, I can easily pick up another pound of it. (I have the SAF instant, bought at Smart and Final in the L.A. area and carred back with me to Dallas)

Why multiple sizes of beverages at a fast food joint with free refills? to-go orders (both walk in and drive through)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I don't know, I could see myself buying bread crumbs....I never ever have stale bread around (I generally keep it in the freezer because I can't eat a whole loaf fast enough) and I don't know how I'd turn it into breadcrumbs if I did :huh:

Kate

I'll answer that one:  Because pssshting it out of the can and into remarkably high mounds on top of dessert is just too much fun :raz:

I disagree..........."into your MOUTH" is the reason :raz:

But, canned mushrooms?

My mother used to make Weight Watchers Mushroom "NUTS"..

Drained canned mushrooms on a cookie sheet, baked till crunchy..

Wawa Sizzli FTW!