• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why does anybody buy . . .

Fat Guy

I'll start:

Why does anybody buy those three-packs of little envelopes of dry yeast, when for about the same amount of money you can get a pound of the stuff?

Next?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Why buy a can of potatoes when real ones are available year-round for less, and keep so well in a cool dark place?

Next?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Why does anyone buy a can of whipped cream when you can get a pint of cream, whip it and it tastes a hell of a lot better?

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Why does anyone buy a can of whipped cream when you can get a pint of cream, whip it and it tastes a hell of a lot better?

I'll answer that one: Because pssshting it out of the can and into remarkably high mounds on top of dessert is just too much fun :raz:

Who are these people who buy precooked bacon, anyway? :wacko:

Edited by eskay (log)

Kate

They had pre-sliced apples at the supermarket the other day, and the lady that was giving out the samples had to use a knife to get the packages (one for each slice!) open. Why not just use the knife to cut the apple on a cutting board and reduce chances that you'll cut yourself while cutting open the packages?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'll answer that one:  Because pssshting it out of the can and into remarkably high mounds on top of dessert is just too much fun :raz:

I disagree..........."into your MOUTH" is the reason :raz:

But, canned mushrooms?

I'll answer that one: Because pssshting it out of the can and into remarkably high mounds on top of dessert is just too much fun :raz:

Who are these people who buy precooked bacon, anyway? :wacko:

We do both the spray whip and the bacon. We are a 2 person household and I would love to cook bacon and whip cream but the reality is that I cater to a teenager and the spray can whip is preferred. Bacon he may want a slice or two. His grandma cooks up decent bacon and preps it to freeze for that nuke situation, but there are times.....

Those frozen "Uncrustables" PB and J...things. How hard is it to put together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? And shouldn't kids learn to reconcile themselves with the harsh reality of bread crust *sometime*?

Handy pre-made guacamole. Again, producing a decent guacamole is one of the simplest tasks on Earth. Extruding neon green guacamole from a tube does not a decent Mexican meal make.

Pre-packaged grocery store jello salads, especially prevalent in New England. Personally, they look like alien brains.

Any kind of hyper-processed neon fruit snack. Do people actually believe these contain nutrients? Don't kid yourself: buy some damn gummi bears. At least they taste good.

Most of the things I always wonder why people buy are things that deal with people being able to be lazier and lazier. For Example pre-sliced mushrooms. You could use a butter knife if needed. Who knows how well they were washed.

I'll start:

Why does anybody buy those three-packs of little envelopes of dry yeast, when for about the same amount of money you can get a pound of the stuff?

Next?

Because yeast goes bad, and lots of people wouldn't use a pound of yeast before that occurs. I also would rather have a convenient package of 3 yeast packets sitting in my tiny cupboard than an enormous sack (thus, kitchen space the issue). The same reason I don't buy a tub of ketchup when it goes on sale.

In contrast, why do people buy food in bulk if in all likelihood they won't use it all before it goes bad? Just fun to waste food because it seems cost-effective?

Edited by Bueno (log)

I'll answer that one:  Because pssshting it out of the can and into remarkably high mounds on top of dessert is just too much fun :raz:

I disagree..........."into your MOUTH" is the reason :raz:

But, canned mushrooms?

canned whipped cream is for the buzz

canned mushrooms are because they only sell 12 oz packages of fresh...and I dont like em anyway

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Handy pre-made guacamole. Again, producing a decent guacamole is one of the simplest tasks on Earth. Extruding neon green guacamole from a tube does not a decent Mexican meal make.

Homemade guacamole may not be difficult, but it takes a whole lot longer than twisting the lid on a jar.

That said, I'll only make my own, because it's so vastly superior to the supermarket variety.

Sometimes avocados are expensive (Y200 each right now), and not in good shape. In those cases, I can see how premade guacamole might be preferable.

I want to know why people would buy the little bags of potato chips when the big bags are so much of a better value... :laugh:

I want to know why people would buy the little bags of potato chips when the big bags are so much of a better value... :laugh:

Not about value at all ... it is easy to pack in a lunch box, to take on a picnic, etc etc ...

Why buy bottled water for heaven's sake? It is just water! :hmmm: which you can carry in your own containers, or thermos, or ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

fairy bread spread?

I know I'll need to explain this childhood treat. Basically, it is white bread spread with butter and then "hundreds and thousands" spread on top of that. You make a sandwich, cut it into triangles and have Fairy Bread. It is a staple at children's birthday parties, but I have noted that you can buy margarine with the hundreds and thousands in it.

pre-scrubbed (maybe??) potato, wrapped in saran, to stick in the microwave.

really? realllly? is that what lazy looks like? i hope to god they pre-poked a hole too, 'cuz we all know that's the tricky part of microwaving a spud....

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Not about value at all ... it is easy to pack in a lunch box, to take on a picnic, etc etc ...

I was being facetious... :raz:

I actually do buy small bags of chips, because they are my waterloo and should I buy a large bag, I'd finish it in no time at all (as witnessed last week with a Costco-sized bag of Kettle Chips :blink: ).

But were I not to have a potato chip addiction, I probably would buy larger bags and portion them out in plastic containers. I'm trying to be a good earthling by reducing the amount of garbage I produce.

I really do want to know why people buy stuff like Kraft Dinner (aka Kraft Macaroni and Cheese). It's horrible!

Why does anyone buy:

Canned potatoes

Because their home has no cold places and fresh are only available year round to those who have instant transportation at their disposal.

Canned mushrooms

Again, not everyone can get to the store on a whim to buy fresh and they are not so bad in a soup or casserole.

Kraft Dinner

Because I am lucky enough to have a young granddaughter who comes once a week for dinner and loves the stuff.

On the other hand - pre-cooked bacon? My freezer is rarely lacking the stuff but I cook it myself. It's easy and can be done while I am emptying the dishwasher or doing other stuff in the kitchen. It's amazing how many things are improved with a little cooked bacon!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had no idea pre-cooked bacon even existed! The idea of it is confusing to me. Unless you want the bacon cold, you have to cook it anyway, yes?

The thing that I don't understand is who buys the jars of peanut butter and jelly that are combined in one jar in some sort of decorative stripe effect. The PB & J are touching and contaminating each other! Ew!

I do buy the 3-packs of yeast, though. I don't use yeast enough to justify buying a jar, and I prefer my yeast fresh instead of dead. And I will sometimes get the canned Redi-whip because it can be easily stored in the fridge for several more days after using it once. I will make the real stuff for really nice desserts, but for a quick ice cream sundae, I will not be whipping my own cream.