• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recs for a "plain food" dinner place?

Siouxsie

Can't get primer than Jim's Prime Rib recommendation.

Another possibility: Jack's Firehouse at Fairmount near 22nd, though I wouldn't recommend going on a Friday or Saturday night until after Halloween, due to the 'Terror Behind the Walls' show at the old Eastern State Penitentiary across the street and all the traffic that generates.

Here are a few menu selections which (mostly) fit the "plain" bill, though I'll admit ribeye with parmesan risotto is pushing the "plain" envelope quite a bit.

Buffalo Ribeye with Parmesan Risotto & Bourbon Demi-glace $31.95

Roasted Chicken Breast with Creamy Mushrooms & Pan Jus $19.95

Grilled NY Strip Steak with Butternut Squash Hash & Red Wine Sauce $26.95

Jack’s Tongue Smackin’ Ribs with Firehouse Fries $19.95

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Potato Mash and Pineapple Salsa $20.95

Otherwise, have you considered Little Pete's? A whole different level, but if that's what will keep dad happy . . .

If an early dinner (before 7 p.m.) is feasible, consider the Down Home Diner at the Reading Terminal Market, though it's more burgers, fried chicken and meat loaf that roast beef.

Or what about Jones:

THANKSGIVING DINNER roast turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy

BEEF BRISKET with roasted vegetables and gravy

MEATLOAF with whipped potatoes and buttered peas

ROASTED FILET MIGNON with horseradish, potato salad and red wine sauce

Or Ted's Montana Grill. It may be upper-middle chain food, but so long as your dad can accept bison rather than beef, it's pretty plain.

Or The Famous Fourth Street. You can get plain food there (well, almost plain) as well as Jewish deli standards:

Roasted Chicken 

Brisket of Beef over potato pancakes

Roasted Turkey 

Chicken In The Pot 

Flanken In The Pot

Hungarian Goulash over wide noodles or kasha varnishkes

Roumanian Tenderloin with onions & mushrooms

Chicken Paprikasch with meatballs

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Capital Grille

The Prime Rib

Palm

McCormick & Shmick's

Ted's Montana Grill

All appropriate, and in descending order of price points expensive to moderate

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

You don't mention price. If your like my in-laws, he may balk at the prices at the upper-tier steakhouses.

If you're looking for less expensive options, he'll probably be comfortable with a tasty sandwich at the gastropubby places. Good Dog is in Center City.

Other reasonably-priced places I've taken my in-laws that they've loved and not found too fussy or weird: Cucina Forte, Marra's, Sabrina's.