• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wheat Gluten Free Appetizers

snowangel

I'm hosting a 50th birthday party for a friend, and his wife mentioned that he (NO gluten need apply) can usually work around the gluten. But, given that this is his birthday, I think he shouldn't have to work around avoiding gluten (wheat, BTW) at his own party, and wheat gluten fans should work around him.

Suggestions welcome!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Do you want fancy, schmancy stuff, or something a bit more mainstream?

Here's some ideas off the top of my head.

Hummus with veggies to dip in it.

Use round corn tortilla chips rather than crackers

sushi rolls (use wheat free tamari instead of soy sauce)

stuffed mushrooms

chicken wings

fruit and cheese tray

small tamales

bacon wrapped dates

vietnamese summer rolls

frico

proscuitto wrapped figs

Cheryl

Hi snowangel- quick clarification, please....is he trying to avoid only wheat or ALL sources of gluten (including barley, rye, etc.)?

Edited to clarify my request for clarification :raz: .

Edited by Sony (log)

I did a low carb and gluten free tea for a Red Hat Society event that my mom was hosting and the biggest hit were little savory silver dollar pancakes with creme fraiche, chives and smoked salmon. I think I used this brand of gluten free pancake mix. I had bought the mix for my mom, but we didn't like the flavor enough for full on pancakes - we wouldn't want to make them a whole meal, but they worked well enough for these appetizers. I did something to make them more savory, and now I can't quite recall what it was :wacko: . I think I either added chives and cheese to the mix or an extra egg to make them a bit denser and less sugary (the mix has a bit of turbinado sugar in it). Maybe it was a bunch of black pepper? This is why I should start writing things down! :laugh:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Prunes stuffed with blue cheese and warmed enough to soften cheese (but not have it running out of the prunes). Sprinkle with chopped parsley. These are really delicious and are an easy warm appetizer--they are stuffed ahead of time and only need a short time to warm them up a bit.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

There are tons of recipes out there for everything from pancakes to pasta to cookies to cakes.

What is it that you want to make that you are having the biggest problem with? In my store, my baker makes a number of gluten free things - - she uses white rice flour and xantham gum.

If you have specific questions let me know and i'll see if i can get you the answers.

B

"Of all places, only at the table is the first hour never dull."

website

Latest Article

How about peeled Eggplant slices, stuffed with cheese and bake?

Mushrooms stuffed with an equal mix of cooked mild sauage and creamed cheese?

I made them for a party once, they were the first to fly off the table.

Tomatos stuffed with tuna salad for a cold dish?

---------------------------------------

A quick trick that we use at home,to replace crackers or bread as a base for appetizers, is to slice potatoes into 'medium thick' rounds and roast them, laid flat and drizzled with fat and salt, in a 375F oven for about 45 minutes. Very nice crispies, and satisfying in the starchy carb loaded way bread is. you can top these with anything you'd like, or serve them on their own merit.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

How about peeled Eggplant slices, stuffed with cheese and bake?

Mushrooms stuffed with an equal mix of cooked mild sauage and creamed cheese?

I made them for a party once, they were the first to fly off the table.

Tomatos stuffed with tuna salad for a cold dish?

In a similar vein, take zucchini and squash and slice it length wise on a mandoline. Grill these slices on the grill to give them some color and flavor. Spread a nice flavorful spread of your choice and roll up into little roulades.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Cucumber cups filled with crab salad, I use regular canned crab minced celary, onion, paprika, lemon and mayo

there was recently an updated spinach dip in the NY Times...it essentially added canned Chipotles it was amazing

chicken salad on endive leaves

chicken wings

grilled steak or chicken skewers with peanut sauce

cherry tomato-mozz skewers with pesto dip

stuffed rice balls

bacon wrapped stuff - scallops, shrimp, dates

chicken or chorizo taquitos

frittata

have fun

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

BTW I don't eat blue cheese-I think it uses bread crumbs to grow the mold... I guess I should check it out properly. Anyway, we love Baba Ganoosh, which is eggplant grilled on the flame of your range till the skin is burnt. Peel off all skin and burnt dots, mash up and add an equal amt of made up Tehina, not straight from the jar...! Add olive oil, paprika, and whatever spices you love. Let sit in fridge for at least a few hours. Serve as a cold dip for fresh vegies or toasted gluten free pita triangles.

Edited by Lior (log)

This is my tried and true for almost any diet except low sodium ..everyone loves it ..interactive appetizer

I dont know what it is called but my friend who is from Korea introduced me to these as her version of California rolls

very easy ...very good goes great with ice cold sake and beer or whatever

take nori wraps rub them with some toasted sesame oil and then toast over a burner for a few seconds..sprinkle with a combo of sesame seeds smashed with sea salt and cut them into squares pile on a platter and set aside (Make way more of these than you think you will need trust me they go fast!!!)

on another platter arrange piles of julienned carrots, pickled diakon, green onions, egg pancake, crab meat or thin strips of marinated grilled meat of some kind chilled heap the piles in a nice pattern on a beautiful platter

then in a bowl mix together your favorite soy sauce with wasabi, fresh grated ginger and rice wine vinegar ..to taste

put a spoon in the bowl

each person takes a square of the seaweed and piles (I put chopsticks out) a tiny bit of each thing they like in the nori square a tiny bit of the sauce wrap it up and one big bite

at every party I have put this out ..it got the most attention for the shear fun of the gathering around and bulding your own part of it ...(I keep back up piles of veggies and stuff in the kitcen in baggies so I can keep refreshing the platter)

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

This is my tried and true for almost any diet except low sodium ..everyone loves it ..interactive appetizer

I dont know what it is called but my friend who is from Korea introduced me to these as her version of California rolls

very easy ...very good goes great with ice cold sake and beer or whatever

take nori wraps  rub them with some toasted sesame oil and then toast over a burner for a few seconds..sprinkle with a combo of sesame seeds smashed with sea salt and cut them into squares pile on a platter and set aside (Make way more of these than you think you will need trust me they go fast!!!)

on another platter arrange piles of julienned carrots, pickled diakon, green onions, egg pancake, crab meat or thin strips of marinated grilled meat of some kind chilled  heap the piles in a nice pattern on a beautiful platter

then in a bowl mix together your favorite soy sauce with wasabi, fresh grated ginger and rice wine vinegar ..to taste

put a spoon in the bowl

each person takes a square of the seaweed and piles (I put chopsticks out) a tiny bit of each thing they like in the nori square a tiny bit of the sauce wrap it up and one big bite

at every party I have put this out ..it got the most attention for the shear fun of the gathering around and bulding your own part of it ...(I keep back up piles of veggies and stuff in the kitcen in baggies so I can keep refreshing the platter)

Hummmingbirdkiss (or anyone)....what brand of wheat-free tamari do you use? San-J? Are there any other good ones out there?

To me, one of the hardest allergy/sensitivity combinations to accommodate is gluten and soy. I don't mind, it sometimes just takes a little more creativity. But I digress....

Wow! What great suggestions. Yes, wheat gluten is the problem.

And, I should have a handle on how many people (and what type of people) will come in the next three weeks, so I'll be revisiting this, frequently, and will give an update with quantities of bodies.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

"Hummmingbirdkiss (or anyone)....what brand of wheat-free tamari do you use? San-J? Are there any other good ones out there?

To me, one of the hardest allergy/sensitivity combinations to accommodate is gluten and soy. I don't mind, it sometimes just takes a little more creativity. But I digress...."

I have a friend with Ciliac so when she comes over I just go to what my son lovingly refers to as the "Patchoulli StankOld Hippy Store" (brat what does he know????) and purchase a small bottle wheat/gluten free tamari from there ..in bulk section and have no idea what type it is ...

I am sure most healthfood stores would have it however

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

.... I just go to what my son lovingly refers to as the "Patchoulli StankOld  Hippy Store"  (brat what does he know????)

:laugh:

So, here are some ideas, I've come up with:

-"Grown-up" caramel corn (caramel is infused with a bruised rosemary stem and black pepper. Sometimes I throw nuts in the mix.)

-Mini meatballs that use crushed cornflakes in place of breadcrumbs

-Marinated mushrooms

-Something really nice that I saw once....endive leaves what contained a nest of pickled daikon threads and a small plank of black sesame-crusted rare tuna

-Chicken or beef satay with peanut sauce (using wheat-free tamari) or chimichurri sauce

-Polenta cakes would make a good base for lots of different topping, sweet or savory...the polenta could be flavored in lots of different ways as well.

Hummmingbirdkiss (or anyone)....what brand of wheat-free tamari do you use? San-J? Are there any other good ones out there?

To me, one of the hardest allergy/sensitivity combinations to accommodate is gluten and soy. I don't mind, it sometimes just takes a little more creativity. But I digress....

We keep a gluten-free (GF) home due to celiac disease. Our favorite is the San-J Tamari - we get the lower sodium, wheat free version. While they don't state it's GF, rather simply wheat free, we've never had a problem and the celiac has his antibodies tested annually. I do not need to be GF, yet when we go out for sushi, I choose to use the tamari. Not sure if I have simply gotten used to it or if I really prefer it. But, no one would say it tastes bad.

I have heard many people say they like the Bragg's Aminos, also. I tried some once and didn't prefer it to the San-j tamari, but it was just a quick finger-tip taste.

It's so nice to hear of someone willing to accomodate anyone with any allergy or intolerance. So, kudos to you for applying that creativity.