• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In search of the best bistro

tracyinfrance

Heading to Paris early November and eating at L'Ambroisie & Senderens on two of the three nights, but would like something a little less formal and 'local' for the middle night. Which bistro/brasserie would you recommend. I previously posted asking about Sensing but as we are with my Dad and partner, (lively but quite traditional 70year olds) I think the atmosphere with the projected images etc at Sensing might be all too much! Pudlo raves about Chez Géraud, any thoughts? Am I right in thinking that Benoit is just too touristy?? As it is my choice I want to really wow my Dad (his choices were L'Ambroisie & Senderens) with a great little local haunt that serves great fresh ingredients well cooked but not too complicated. I look forward to your suggestions, thanks!

Well, I'm sure you've already exhausted the 19 bistro topics that already exist; it all depends on what you want in a bistro: neo, old, gastro, fusiony, wood panelled, sharp Stark tables; or a brasserie, neighborhood, Flo-like, ceilings, beer taps, etc. Give us a better idea of what your vision is of a bistro and/or brasserie. Since you live in France, tracyinfrance, I assume means Tracy in France, I suspect you have very definate ideas about where you want to wind up. More specificity and we'll plunge in.

Host's Note I've merged some topics so we'd have a better resource.

Please search bistros and bistrots.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Heading to Paris early November and eating at L'Ambroisie & Senderens on two of the three nights, but would like something a little less formal and 'local' for the middle night.  Which bistro/brasserie would you recommend.  I previously posted asking about Sensing but as we are with my Dad and partner, (lively but quite traditional 70year olds) I think the atmosphere with the projected images etc at Sensing might be all too much!  Pudlo raves about Chez Géraud, any thoughts?  Am I right in thinking that Benoit is just too touristy??  As it is my choice I want to really wow my Dad (his choices were L'Ambroisie & Senderens) with a great little local haunt that serves great fresh ingredients well cooked but not too complicated. I look forward to your suggestions, thanks!

You've opened so many possibilities. Since I've merged all the bistro topics into this one you have some research to do.

I don't think Sensing's lighting distracts 70 year olds, I do think Benoit is both too touristy and too pricey, and I don't get the hype on Chez Géraud despite an OK meal there. Cf Rosa Jackson and Laidback though.

I think the bistro is l'Ami Jean or Astier, the brasserie is Lorraine or Bofinger, but we have a topic running now on where to send first-time visitors. Check it out.

John Talbott

Hi John

Thanks for taking the time to put all those links together for me! You are right in thinking I live in France, down in the Languedoc. After having read through all the stuff and with further discussion with my Dad perhaps we are looking down a different avenue! Also after having read Juliot-les-pinceaux's review of Sanderens, I realise that in fact we are not going to experience the full blow out 3 star michelin experience I had suspected ! So maybe Sensing might fit the bill? What about Darroze's bistro you mentioned in one of your postings in the 5th?

Another question, obviously the best way to really experience the true skill of the chef at the piano is the tasting menu, however my husband does not eat fish. is it possible (or are we likely to be shown the door with our tails between our legs) to ask for the tasting menu but with substitutions where fish plays a part???

My head is spinning and tummy rumbling!!

Thanks

Hi Tracy,

I am certain that you can always ask for substitution in a tasting menu. If you warn them when you reserve, they will be veen friendlier.

That said, I do not believe that a tasting menu is the best way to experience the true skill of the chef. In general, there are too many things to eat. There is not enough of what you like and too much of what you don't. And since there are many courses, there is a lot waiting between courses. Now one of the factors is your digestive ability, of course. But when I want to measure a chef's talent, I ask for two or three courses max, whatever they feel like doing or would recomment that day. If they can't convince me in two courses, why could they in ten? I believe that a tasting menu is like one of those touristic express buses where you see all or Paris in 4h20 minutes exactly.

There are exceptions, of course -- but then they will tell you if they think that you miss something by not having the tasting menu.

I think I am going to drive you egullets crazy, but I think I have narrowed it down to three possibilities for the friday night dinner.

Chez l'Ami de Jean

Hiramatsu (judging by the reviews from this forum it should not be missed)

ATELIER MAITRE ALBERT

Could I pick three more different address' if I tried??!! You probably all think I am absolutely crazy having such different suggestions and I know it is not possible to compare them as apples for apples but given the choice which would you go to?

I don't think I have sussed out the search mode on the site as I tried entering Atelier Maitre Albert and a whole host of topics came up but couldn't find a reference to the restaurant in the topics listed!

Also after having read Juliot-les-pinceaux's review of Sanderens, I realise that in fact we are not going to experience the full blow out 3 star michelin experience I had suspected !  So maybe Sensing might fit the bill? 
I really liked it.
What about Darroze's bistro you mentioned in one of your postings in the 5th?
I am one of those who think she's the most over-hyped, over-rated chefs on the planet and I wouldn't touch anything she does. Would you like to hear what I really think?

John Talbott

Also after having read Juliot-les-pinceaux's review of Sanderens, I realise that in fact we are not going to experience the full blow out 3 star michelin experience I had suspected !  So maybe Sensing might fit the bill? 
I really liked it.
What about Darroze's bistro you mentioned in one of your postings in the 5th?
I am one of those who think she's the most over-hyped, over-rated chefs on the planet and I wouldn't touch anything she does.

John Talbott

L'Ami Jean or Hiramatsu is really a question of price and style -- fancy sophisticated restaurant versus delicious affordable crowded bistrot. But I would argue against l'Atelier Maitre Albert, expensive and very mediocre foodwise.

Thanks JlP, as we are dining at L'Ambroisie on Thursday night & Senderens on Saturday do you think Hiramatsu might be just too 'goulu' (hope I have got the right word there!!). Does L'Ami Jean get really smokey due to how crowded it gets??

Does L'Ami Jean get really smokey due to how crowded it gets??

I've only been there three times and while it's hard to move an elbow, I had no problem with the smoke. Perhaps members with more experience have had other experiences.

John Talbott

Thanks JlP, as we are dining at L'Ambroisie on Thursday night & Senderens on Saturday  do you think Hiramatsu might be just too 'goulu' (hope I have got the right word there!!).  Does L'Ami Jean get really smokey due to how crowded it gets??

Goulu? Yes! And even if you replace it with l'Ami Jean, I would seriously advice exercise and vegetables stock in between.

But hey, you're the one to know the limits of your body.

Re L'ami Jean, same as John. But food is worth one star to me.

I think I am officially addicted to this site!! Everytime I should be doing some kind of paperwork for our hotel I am caught by my hubby reading up on places to eat in Paris - that's why we work so damn hard isn't?? So after too many late nights at the computer screen I have changed direction totally for our Friday night and am going to plump for Le Violon d'Ingres!!

I have been reading some negative reviews about Sanderens, mostly on this site is this just people not liking the ringing of the changes or are we more likely to get a better meal at Taillevent (if we can get a reservation at that point??).

As I wrote, I believe that bad reviews of Senderens are yesterday's news. The new chef has had a difficult first year, but on my last two visits, things were back at top level (with what I believe is a consequence, that waiting time is a tad longer). Not the Lucas-Carton with Frédéric Robert level but still one of the ten best in Paris, to my knowledge. Plus an exceptional location and a very sensual ambiance.

I am sorry to say that, in my opinion and by comparison, le Violon d'Ingres is a joke foodwise. It is a very pleasant place but, save their exceptional vanilla soufflé, no course here deserves the one star it still has. Your other options were, imo, more interesting.

• 10 months later...

Elsewhere, dfunghi said that he had

.....been perusing the threads here and am trying to hone in on a couple of bistros and may very well forgo the Michelin starred restaurants due to expense, lack of proper attire and reservations.
and I thought we could add our answers best here.

John Talbott