• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] Green Pastures restaurant

freek007

did a search and couldnt find any obvious threads about this restaurant.

drove by yesterday, very picturesque, lots of peacocks, even an albino one!

but i dont know anything else about it.

Prices? Cuisine(Quaility too)? Wines?

Any input appreciated, good and bad.

did a search and couldnt find any obvious threads about this restaurant.

drove by yesterday, very picturesque, lots of peacocks, even an albino one!

but i dont know anything else about it.

Prices?  Cuisine(Quaility too)? Wines? 

Any input appreciated, good and bad.

I just looked at the menu and it seems to be awfully expensive. I don't ordinarily drop that kind of change on just any old place.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I believe it's only worth going for their Sunday brunch, which is typical American style with a hint of old Southern cuisine (high-brow, not the low-brow fried stuff you usually think of). Brunch comes with a bottomless milk punch for some nominal fee. Milk punch is another Southern tradition, kind of like vanilla ice cream spiked with booze.

Overall, I think the restaurant is quite unique and good for taking out-of-towners. The ambiance is very Old South. If you go there and Lola's, you'll have eaten the entire range of Southern food, an exploration of contrasts. Evaluating it in a vacuum though, it is quite expensive for what it is, and the food is only so-so.

The peacocks are cool. I haven't seen the albino one before.

I went back and read through all the menus and they do not really strike me as being southern. They seem to be much more new American with some Texas touches. And yes, the menus do read well. It was apparent the chef was trying to source local when he could and that is good and very positive.

This menu has more southern influences to me than the one at Green Pastures. Quite possibly, the setting and the level of the service staff are what creates that atmosphere a person would think of as old south.

Maybe I will have to give this a try the next time I am down that way. Thanks for the heads up on it.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I went back and read through all the menus and they do not really strike me as being southern.  They seem to be much more new American with some Texas touches.  And yes, the menus do read well.  It was apparent the chef was trying to source local when he could and that is good and very positive.   

This menu has more southern influences to me than the one at Green Pastures.  Quite possibly, the setting and the level of the service staff are what creates that atmosphere a person would think of as old south. 

Maybe I will have to give this a try the next time I am down that way.  Thanks for the heads up on it.

I would agree with the new American, not Southern take on Green Pastures. Granted they do have a sprinkling of Texas South fare, and of course the bread pudding with Jack Daniels sauce. It does look like a fresh ingredient driven menu. The prices are a bit much, even for the freshest ingredients.

I think you're correct about the cuisine. The ambiance, however, is rather Old South, especially the house and grounds.

Judging from their website, a lot of organizations have large group dinners there. I think it's a great venue for that.

I think you're correct about the cuisine. The ambiance, however, is rather Old South, especially the house and grounds.

Judging from their website, a lot of organizations have large group dinners there. I think it's a great venue for that.

My remembrance is just that. Southern ambience. I never dined there, but I attended numerous parties and wedding receptions, including my own, at the place and it was a very nice place for a gathering.