• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Tony's / Quattro / Bice / Monarch

robingoldstein

Anyone have recent reports on Tony's, Quattro, Bice, and/or Monarch in Houston?

I'm particularly curious if people think Tony's is worth the money, and what they've liked or not liked.

I had a bad experience at Quattro recently (gummy, flavorless bucatini with clams and pancetta, terrible creamed spinach, ) and was wondering if others can confirm or disagree. I know they're going through a chef transition there.

And has Monarch gotten any better?

What about Bice?

• 1 month later...

I'm particularly curious if people think Tony's is worth the money, and what they've liked or not liked.

I had a great friend who went to Tony's last week with his wife and extended family. I mostly trust his palate and he said it was pretty ho-hum. Sorry I don't have any first hand information.

• 3 weeks later...

In a word, yes. I will always suggest Mark's over Tony's but you cannot go wrong either way.

Actually, my best rec ent experience has been at Marks. DaMarco's is really good. Cafe' Annie's menu is tired but really good for an experience or two--Semposios for Italian--Capitol Grill for steaks (dry aged ), and get the crabcake. Haven't been to Tony's in years. Let us know your experience.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.