• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A good fishmonger in Atlanta

Doodad

RAHiggins -

Is this the same information that was on the news last week? I wanted to see that, but missed it when it aired.

I get almost all of my shrimp from shrimpers that I grew up with in Savannah. Like I told Doodad- I ask about a millon question before I buy any type of seafood up here no matter where I shop.

It's a shame that there is not a Russo's like seafood market up here that is so famous in Savannah. The place I think is now 4th generation and their rep is over the top. They do ship up here, but I only use them on special occassion it can be pretty pricey.

That report was on the radio Monday the 19th of November.

Yea it makes me anxious about buying fish. I think I shall be visiting "Gulf Coast Seafood Market" as well. I already emailed and requested to be added to the emails.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

That report was on the radio Monday the 19th of November.

Yea it makes me anxious about buying fish. I think I shall be visiting "Gulf Coast Seafood Market" as well. I already emailed and requested to be added to the emails.

I understand both of you. I have been happy so far with Tom and his products. His tuna was out of this world. The perishables like shrimp and scallops have to be moved on quickly so his emails and website are valuable. If you wait to a weekend on certain items, you are not eating it.

That is one thing that is hard to find around here is good fresh scallops.

I am going to get on map quest (i get lost in a circle) and try to get to Gilf Coast soon, I wish I had time to go before thanksgiving would have loved to make my oysters dressing this year, but it seem like no one had really good looking ones and the price at Whole Foods was crazy.

Doodad - should we mention that we heard about his place from you?? Think you might get a kick back? :wink:

Have a happy Turkey Day!

I am going to get on map quest (i get lost in a circle) and try to get to Gilf Coast soon, I wish I had time to go before thanksgiving would have loved to make my oysters dressing this year, but it seem like no one had really good looking ones and the price at Whole Foods was crazy.

Doodad - should we mention that we heard about his place from you?? Think you might get a kick back?  :wink:

Have a happy Turkey Day!

Well, being associated with me has never yielded much in the past. Just ask my wife! :raz:

Considering I heard about him in this thread Tom really does not know me yet. Let's just try to keep him in business. He gets nice scallops, but you have to move quickly.

Doodad - should we mention that we heard about his place from you?? Think you might get a kick back?  :wink:

Have a happy Turkey Day!

Well, being associated with me has never yielded much in the past. Just ask my wife! :raz:

Considering I heard about him in this thread Tom really does not know me yet. Let's just try to keep him in business. He gets nice scallops, but you have to move quickly.

It would be great to eat scallops again. My wife will not let me buy them unless I can absolutely verify that they are not skate wing plugs. I understand that skate wing has found its way on to menus and is therefore not as economical as it was. Unless I can see the thin white line where the scallops were attached to the shell I have no proof to the contrary. She also has it stuck in her head that only bay scallops are real scallops. I have not felt like argueing that deep sea scallops are more likely to be the real deal.

Edit* Curse you gods of spelling and grammer!

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Have a happy Turkey Day!

It would be great to eat scallops again. My wife will not let me buy them unless I can absolutely verify that they are not skate wing plugs. I understand that skate wing has found its way on to menus and is therefore not as economical as it was. Unless I can see the thin white line where the scallops were attached to the shell I have no proof to the contrary. She also has it stuck in her head that only bay scallops are real scallops. I have not felt like argueing that deep sea scallops are more likely to be the real deal.

I thought you could tell the difference in the grain of the meat? The grain is horiz in fake unlike the real ones. Like you, I would bet bay scallops are the fake ones much more often than not.

Have a happy Turkey Day!

My husband is that way about bay shrimp! He is in heaven when we are on the West Coast. Getting back to fake and real scallops - The information you wrote RAHiggins1 is interesting.

This is going to sound dumb so you guys bare with me. Isn't there a difference in color and texture between real scallops and skate? Also in the thickness between the two?

I have only bought scallops up there once and they were pretty good - going to have to track down the web site for the fish market Doodad has been talking abouton this thread.