• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spirits from South Africa?

Kent Wang

I took a friend of mine from South Africa to Death & Co in New York and he really loved the Sazerac, especially the story behind it all. He wants to make Sazeracs back home but doesn't have access to Peychaud's. So I'm trading him that and some of other American goods for whatever he can get down there.

There's van der Hum and Amarula, but I can get both here. He says:

I'll spend some time next week trying to track down some more obscure local booze - I'd dig to get some Mampoer which is local distilled stuff generally made from fruit, but it's only made on people's farms and was illegal for many years so it's difficult to get hold of. I also have a small (50ml) taster bottle of peach Witblitz which was distilled in a 19th century still at one of our farm musems that I will send along. If you're interested we also make some good Brandy - quite a few best-in-the world medal winners (for what that's worth) and all, KWV is one of the better manufacturers

Have you heard anything about these? Are the KWV brandies any good? If there aren't really any good spirits, I could just get him to ship some wines, but I'm afraid of those being more susceptible to heat damage in transit.

I took a friend of mine from South Africa to Death & Co in New York and he really loved the Sazerac, especially the story behind it all. He wants to make Sazeracs back home but doesn't have access to Peychaud's. So I'm trading him that and some of other American goods for whatever he can get down there.

Do you not have any problems with alcohol being sent to you in the US? I tried to send a few bottles over last year but they were returned every time. :sad:

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

Imoya is a very good South African brandy. I think you can get it in the States, but it's possible that there are vintages and ages you can only get in South Africa. I'm sure there are other very good brandys that are only for sale in South Africa.

--