• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
John Talbott

Help: New quandry: Citrus/citron caviar

Yesterday, at Ze, Colette had a brochette of scallops with an intruiging bunch of beedy bubbles on top. We asked whaaaaa, and the most helpful waitfolk (cf here) produced both a cup of the teeny/tiny bursts of magnificence and the acorn-sized fruit they came from.

Ok, you ask, why don't I just call Pti up and ask? Ans: 1. I'm a guy, one doesn't ask. 2. I want to get a discussion going, and 3. This is more fun.

So, what is Citrus/citron caviar, where does one buy it (not in Bon Marche, les Halles de Montmartre or Monoprix, where the question is treated as if one is deranged) and is it grown in the US of A?

Sounds like finger limes.

Rather than having the standard citrus interior, they are filled with tiny individual cells that can look a bit like caviar.

I was thinking finger limes as well, they are beautiful for scattering.

So far 3-0, but thanks folks. This is a green acorn sized fruit with teeny/tiny white beads of bursting beauty inside, only slightly citrus tasting. Not pink and not real caviar doctored up. Sorry.

My, oh my, eGullet can't do it in 3 hours, hummmm, maybe I should switch to the Food Channel.

Keep trying, (Pti, where are you when we need you?).

Tmrw, only 50% strike, no rain and with France-Argentina, we'll eat beef and camembert (to keep on topic).

Finger limes come in all different colors, including green, and some of them could be described as "acorn sized." What color were the cells you saw?

Finger limes come in all different colors, including green, and some of them could be described as "acorn sized."  What color were the cells you saw?

White or translucent.

I just had citron caviar for the first time Thursday night at Olivier Roellinger's restaurant in Cancale. A small slice of the lime was served alongside three small oysters -- one plain and the other two flavored with spice blends. The outside of the lime was pink and green, the inside was pink and the waiter instructed us to make sure not to leave it on the plate because it was too good to send back to the kitchen. Of course, he was right.

We just got back and the first thing I did was to search online for the limes and -- bingo -- egullet!

Unless I read too quickly, no one has posted a source for these, right?

They are an Australia native. As far as I know they are only grown in Australia for the moment.

I have a small tree growing in the back yard, has just set fruit, but I think that I will strip all the immature fruit this year. There are also several other native citrus here, so I imagine that some of the these other species may become commercially available in the near future.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Mullinix18
      I dont believe that any English translation of Carêmes works exist. An incomplete version was published in 1842 (I think) but even the that version seems lackluster for the few recipes it does cover. I think it's time the world looks to its past, but I don't speak great French and it's a huge task to undertake. I hopefully plan on publishing this work and anyone who helps me will get a very fair cut, and if we decide not to publish it, I'll put it out on the internet for free. I'm working in Google docs so we can collaborate. I'm first cataloging the index to cross reference the pre-existing incomplete English version to give us a reference of what yet needs to be done, and from there we will go down the list of recipies and Translate them one by one. Simple google translate goes only so far, as it is 1700s French culinary terms and phrases being used. I'd like to preserve as much of Carêmes beautiful and flowery language as possible. Who's with me? 
    • By Mullinix18
      I have seen referenced in several places on the internet, including Wikipedia, a stat about escoffier recommending 40 minutes for scrambled eggs in a Bain Marie. I cant find where this number is from. On Wikipedia it refers to the book I currently own, the "Escoffier le guide culinaire" with forward by Heston Blumenthal by h. L. Cracknell...specificly page 157 for the 40 minute cooking time of scrambled eggs but it's not in my book on that page! Even tho there is the recipe for scrambled eggs on that page... I've seen the 1903 first edition online.. And it's not in there either.... Where is this number from?? Id like to know in case there is some even more complete book or something out there that I'm missing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. 
    • By DanM
      One of the surprises from our move to Switzerland is the availability of kosher charcuterie. Sausages of all types, confit, mousse, rietttes, etc... One of the recent finds is this block of smoked beef. It has a nice fat layer in the middle. Any thoughts on how to use it? Should I slice it thin and then fry?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    • By boilsover
      Long story, but I have a friend with whom I share a lust for French patisserie in general and kouign aman in particular.  We have another friend, kind of a starry chef in France.  We'd like to surprise our Parisian friend by being at least marginally competent with the kouign the next time we meet up.

I had always heard of a specialty rolling pin called a Tutove (I think it's the name of the manufacturer).  It's supposed to be the Secret Weapon of puff pastry.  The idea is that the pin has grooves/ridges that better place butter into the layers of dough.

So I found one (a real one, made by Tutove) on Ebay at a good price, but I need any basic tips y'all have for using it.  Anyone here use one, or have a resource for how to roll with a Tutove?

Many Thanks!
    • By DanM
      I was planning on buying  jar of duck confit at the market, but I had a dimwitted moment and grabbed the confit goose gizzards instead. What should I do with them? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan