• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infused Oils

angeljolie

If its green and flavourful and from my herb garden, I have infused oil with it.

For small amounts, I have pounded fresh spices in the mortar and poured in the oil. Mix it around and let it sit for a few minutes then decant into something, maybe a shotglass.

For bigger batches I use the blender. Once the oil has had chance to extract a good deal of the hydrophobic flavour and colour compounds I'll strain it through cheesecloth or something, depending on the size of the solids. Its just like making coffee.

Fave combos include:

-basil olive oil (pretty much anything in olive oil is good)

-mint canola oil

-cilantro peanut oil

-sage corn oil

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Thanks, Peter! I have questions though:

1. Isn't olive oil perishable? How long can I keep it unrefrigerated?

2. Is it also possible to mix an herb and a spice in one oil? Or will mixing destroy the flavor altogether?

3. Why do you decant? I've seen oils in restaurants that still have the herbs inside the bottle. What's the disadvantage of leaving the herbs or spices in the oil?

Edited by angeljolie (log)
Angel

Thanks, Peter! I have questions though:

1.  Isn't olive oil perishable?  How long can I keep it unrefrigerated?

2.  Is it also possible to mix an herb and a spice in one oil?  Or will mixing destroy the flavor altogether?

3.  Why do you decant? I've seen oils in restaurants that still have the herbs inside the bottle.  What's the disadvantage of leaving the herbs or spices in the oil?

1. All food oils are perishable. Air (oxygen), high temperatures and bright light accelerate spoilage. I've never had oil spoil in the kitchen, but I don't get the huge containers that could sit around for a few years. I have heard of rancid olive oil, read the label or ask a grandmother from Tuscany.

2. Experiment! Too many flavors going on at once can backfire. I like mint with heat - try some cayenne or fresh hot pepper with the minty canola oil.

3. I would decant flavoured oil from the mortar to a glass to see the colour more clearly, and to free up the mortar. Anything beyond a 100mLs I 'd use a blender. Nothing wrong with leaving bits floating in the oil, most stuff settles to the bottom anyways. I suspect too much organic material in the oil could speed up spoilage, so I always refrigerated flavoured oils.

Let us know if you come up with any killer combos (or nasty flops)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

A reduction of beet juice works well and so does bell pepper juice. Use a juicer and reduce to a syrup and whisk together with your choice of oil. I use grapeseed oil.

Being from Manila, you would be familiar with Ube, juice it or use Ube powder it might work in infused oil for that gaudy purple colour. Pandan leaves might be a good experiment.

:smile:

1. All food oils are perishable. Air (oxygen), high temperatures and bright light accelerate spoilage. I've never had oil spoil in the kitchen, but I don't get the huge containers that could sit around for a few years. I have heard of rancid olive oil, read the label or ask a grandmother from Tuscany.

2. Experiment! Too many flavors going on at once can backfire. I like mint with heat - try some cayenne or fresh hot pepper with the minty canola oil.

3. I would decant flavoured oil from the mortar to a glass to see the colour more clearly, and to free up the mortar. Anything beyond a 100mLs I 'd use a blender. Nothing wrong with leaving bits floating in the oil, most stuff settles to the bottom anyways. I suspect too much organic material in the oil could speed up spoilage, so I always refrigerated flavoured oils.

Let us know if you come up with any killer combos (or nasty flops)

Oops, my fault. I was supposed to say that olive oil is highly perishable, as compared to other oils. Anyway, I think I'd use sunflower oil (because I read that it has milder aroma).

I will try that mint-cayenne combo you suggested. Sounds interesting. Where do you use it btw? Can infused oils actually be used for cooking? Or just as a condiment?

Thanks again!

Edited by angeljolie (log)
Angel

A reduction of beet juice works well and so does bell pepper juice. Use a juicer and reduce to a syrup and whisk together with your choice of oil. I use grapeseed oil.

Being from Manila, you would be familiar with Ube, juice it or use Ube powder it might work in infused oil for that gaudy purple colour. Pandan leaves might be a good experiment.

How long does your oil with beet juice or pepper juice last?

Your ube powder suggestion got me really excited! I mean, w-o-w. Thanks a lot. I'm a beginner in the kitchen and my weakest point so far is presentation. I really find it difficult to make my creations appealing. Thanks again! :)

Hope someone can post pics of their infused oil bottles. :wub:

Angel

Your ube powder suggestion got me really excited! I mean, w-o-w. Thanks a lot. I'm a beginner in the kitchen and my weakest point so far is presentation. I really find it difficult to make my creations appealing. Thanks again! :)

I used to make yellow pepper oil and beet oil once a week and should last longer unless it breaks its emulsified state. Sometime temperature change will cause these oils to separate or break. Herbs infused oils don't have that danger of separating.

You might have to work on that Ube since the juice will be full of starch and when heated, it will thicken. It will be easy to emulsify but may need to be thinned out?

Bel Air village, around Antel Platinum, has a farmer's market on Saturdays. I've seen fresh tumeric there that's worth infusing, along with some other local herbs and seasonal ingredients.

Edited by Fugu (log)

I used to make yellow pepper oil and beet oil once a week and should last longer unless it breaks its emulsified state. Sometime temperature change will cause these oils to separate or break. Herbs infused oils don't have that danger of separating.

You might have to work on that Ube since the juice will be full of starch and when heated, it will thicken. It will be easy to emulsify but may need to be thinned out?

Bel Air village, around Antel Platinum, has a farmer's market on Saturdays. I've seen fresh tumeric there that's worth infusing, along with some other local herbs and seasonal ingredients.

Ok, I'm a little confused here. Do I really need to emulsify them? I'm thinking of placing the herbs and/or spices in oil in their original state (maybe bruised a little) because I think it looks nice to have whole leaves and fruits or berries in there. Is it a bad idea? :unsure:

Angel

Ok, I'm a little confused here. Do I really need to emulsify them? I'm thinking of placing the herbs and/or spices in oil in their original state (maybe bruised a little) because I think it looks nice to have whole leaves and fruits or berries in there. Is it a bad idea? :unsure:

Edited by Fugu (log)

There was a topic here on eGullet about the safety of infused oils. Do a search for "flavored oil" or "infusing oils" or "infused oils" or something like that and you'll find it. It isn't something you should do without investigating the proper precautions, as botulism is a serious risk.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Fugu: Thanks for the suggestions! I would still love to try the ube reduction, for presentation purposes. Btw, I've been to a weekend market at some park here in Salcedo Village, it must be what you were referring to in your previous post. I'll try to go there next weekend. Thanks again! :)

prasantrin, thanks for the link. I've opened it immediately, for fear that it might disappear. Re: botulism, yes I've read about it. That's why I have to be really really careful. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Angel