• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

that elusive Meatball Sandwich

phungi

My house, really. It's a special thing of beauty for me. I usually make dozens of them in my All Clad Stockpot along with my sauce.

I've been disappointed with mostly every meatball sandwich I've tried in the Philly area and beyond.

I'm with you. Meatballs outside the home are scary. I've recently graduated to accepting some marinara outside of home, from Rocco's, but meatballs are still home only. I will have to try Shank's. I'm open to it, just haven't found it.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

• 2 weeks later...

London Grill in Fairmount has "Meatball Mondays".

Now DiNic's has "Meatball Sundays".

Tommy DiNicolosi is experimenting with meatballs at his Reading Terminal Market landmark. I caught Tommy this morning shaping a beef-pork-veal mix. Before leaving the market about an hour later, I tasted one. It was quite nice, and the sauce was even better. Tom said he used skin from a fresh ham to help flavor the tomato-based sauce.

Tommy insists he's just "playing" with meatballs and hasn't added them to the regular menu. But you can expect to see them on Sundays. Last week he tried a beef-lamb meatball which he said turned out well (just a little bit of lamb; mostly beef). For this Sunday, get there early: Tommy only prepared 10 pounds of meat.

Edited to fix spelling

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report