• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pommes Souflee

chefadamg

Well...had a visit from my local foodservice professional. He dropped off of a box of FROZEN potatoes. "what the hell is this?" I asked. By GOD it was little potato slices...and guess what happens when you fry them at 375 degrees? Oooo..perfect pommes souflee...AND they ALL puffed magically and were great.

It's a hell of a product...just sliced potato, pre cooked like the usuall pommes souflee and then quick frozen for your pleasure.

Anyone else out there get these yet?

Hmmm. I don't know. I fought hard to make sure we didn't bring in frozen fries (one of our suppliers was trying to schmooz the boss on them for a while), I think I'd feel like a bit of a hypocrite if I suggested we tried any other frozen spuds. Interesting though.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm. I don't know. I fought hard to make sure we didn't bring in frozen fries (one of our suppliers was trying to schmooz the boss on them for a while), I think I'd feel like a bit of a hypocrite if I suggested we tried any other frozen spuds. Interesting though.

Well...it is a fact that THEEEEEE Thomas keller uses frozen fries in his Bouchon restaurants. A fact that will hurt a few of his followers Im sure.

Herve This in Molecular Gastronomy writes about a similar potato product in chapter 55, "A new kind of potato for frying, packaged raw, absorbs less oil than frozen fries."

A summary of the chapter:

-Fresh potatoes require "extensive advanced preparation"

-Fresh cut Potatoes in the presence of oxygen brown quickly due to enzymatic processes.

-This "new kind of potato" is vacuum packed in a controlled atmosphere.

-These potatoes are know as "quatrieme gamme" in Europe

-Peeling of the potatoes is done under a stream of water so the cellular structure isn't harmed. Further, the potatoes are cut by extremely sharp stainless steel knives and kept at a temperature of 39 degrees F in order to slow the metabolism of the potatoes.

-Potatoes vacuum packed in an inert gas and kept at 39 degress F.

-Potatoes processed in this manner keep for around 10 days.

-Suggested cooking temps and times of fries cut 12mm thick about 1/2 an inch: 356 F for 7 minutes then a second round of frying at a temp of 392 degrees F. Remove from oil when they reach desired golden color.

Edited by Blamo (log)

I actually think that, when done correctly, frozen French fries are just fine...they can even be divine. I'd rather have an excellent, crispy, fluffy, previously frozen fry than a limp, soggy, dreary hand cut fry.

I think that if you can make immaculate fresh fries, then go for it. Fact of the matter is, given the amount of work and variables (not to mention seasonality of potatoes, starch content, etc) then it makes sense to use frozen.

Thats really about the only thing that I give into on the frozen vs. fresh issue--can't really think of anything else.

I actually think that, when done correctly, frozen French fries are just fine...they can even be divine. I'd rather have an excellent, crispy, fluffy, previously frozen fry than a limp, soggy, dreary hand cut fry.

I think that if you can make immaculate fresh fries, then go for it. Fact of the matter is, given the amount of work and variables (not to mention seasonality of potatoes, starch content, etc) then it makes sense to use frozen.

Thats really about the only thing that I give into on the frozen vs. fresh issue--can't really think of anything else.

I think for most restaurants...labor can be pointed in another direction.