• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! 2 lobes of HV foie: frozen

Genny

I have 2 lobes of Hudson Valley foie gras that are frozen. Solid. And I need to cut them into managable sizes and freeze (using my food sealer) and cook some too.

Thoughts on how to cut the buggers up? I'm thinking I need to keep them frozen.

Then, best way to cook? How thick should I slice it, etc. I've only eaten it out and the portions are generally pretty small so I'm working from scratch here. ANY info and tips you can give me will be great!

Thanks in advance!

Genny

Use a hot chefs knife(heat using gas range or hot water) and portion it out. The hot knife should cut right through. Portion in large pieces and wrap.

for instance...if you will be eating (2) 1" pieces at a sitting...portion the foie in 2" pieces than re-freeze. You can slice the thawed 2" pieces before cooking.

Thanks chefadamg, that is incredibly helpful!

Any other suggestions on how to properly thaw this when ready to cook? I was thinking I should babysit it in a water bath (in it's sealed packaging, of course).

Also, cooking suggestions. I've read the "screaming hot pan" method, are there others you can recommend? I'll have a few opportunities to experiment it seems. :biggrin:

wallchef: come on over! we'll make a party of it!

If you dont have a great kitchen vent fan....heat your pan over the BBQ

not allowed to cook it indoors anymore

If you want a traditional sweet sauce...I have been heating a splash of Sherry vin in the hot pan with a touch of stock and some good cherry jam :smile:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association