• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Restaurant in the Edison/New Brunswick area?

PubCrawler

Hello All,

I have been tasked with planning a high-end dining event for clients in the Edison/New Brunswick, NJ area scheduled for mid-November. Problem #1 is that I live on the west coast and no nothing of the top-end area restaurants. Problem #2 is that I just hosted an event at Stephan Pyle's in Dallas that was as close to perfect as an evening could be, and expectations are that it can be re-created anywhere. The cuisine at Pyle’s was innovative, beautifully presented and delectable. The staff was top-notch and the private dining area had a hidden display kitchen that was revealed during the first course service to the delight of our guests. The Sommelier worked with me to match wines to each menu selection and guests were seamlessly served the correct wine pairing in the correct glass with each of their choices without fuss or fanfare. The entire service seemed choreographed. I won't even try to describe the unbelievable desserts, but with names like “Global Chocolate”, “Lemon, Lemon, Lemon”, and “Coffee and Donuts”, you can use your imagination.

Can anyone tell me if there is an area restaurant that may even come close to matching this experience? The actual “pick-up” point of the guests is in Piscataway, NJ, which, from what I can tell, may be the country’s epicenter of chain restaurant dining. We really don’t want to have to transport a large group farther than 15 miles. HELP!!

David Drakes in Rahway is 11 miles from Piscataway. To me, that is the perfect meal. But I sound like a broken record.

I am sure The Frog and the Peach and Stage Left, both in New Brunswick, would be good choices also.

The Stagehouse Restaurant is just about 15 miles. But a lovely choice as well.

Edited by Randi (log)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

David Drakes in Rahway is 11 miles from Piscataway.  To me, that is the perfect meal.  But I sound like a broken record.

I am sure The Frog and the Peach and Stage Left, both in New Brunswick, would be good choices also.

The Stagehouse Restaurant is just about 15 miles.  But a lovely choice as well.

Thank you Randi! I am actually talking with The Frog and the Peach. I looked at David Drakes too after reading about them on Zagat, but they don't have an actual private dining room. However after reading your comment and looking at their menu more closely, I called them and they may be willing to set aside the upstairs for my group. Based on your experience dining there, do you think the Upstairs is separated enought from the main dining area for a private group? I must admit I am more impressed with David Drakes menu.

Thanks so much for your recommendations!

Upstairs at David Drakes is definitely very separate from the rest of the restaurant and it's a nice room with a fireplace and a nice, cozy bar. There's also a restroom there, so you won't have to go downstairs.

I don't know how large your group is, but what about the wine cellar at David Drakes?

Susan

Upstairs at David Drakes is definitely very separate from the rest of the restaurant and it's a nice room with a fireplace and a nice, cozy bar.  There's also a restroom there, so you won't have to go downstairs.

I don't know how large your group is, but what about the wine cellar at David Drakes?

Susan, our group will probably be about 25 people, which the hostess indicated may be the max the room can accomodate. Obviously, their wine celler will only hold 8-10, but it sounds lovely. There is a restaurant in Tucson called Michaels of the Catalinas with a wine celler dug 20 feet below the restaurant and it seats about 20 people. Being down there is almost a mystical experience, with the cool earth walls and the quietness of the room.

David Drakes in Rahway is 11 miles from Piscataway.  To me, that is the perfect meal.  But I sound like a broken record.

The Stagehouse Restaurant is just about 15 miles.  But a lovely choice as well.

Thank you Randi! I am actually talking with The Frog and the Peach. I looked at David Drakes too after reading about them on Zagat, but they don't have an actual private dining room. However after reading your comment and looking at their menu more closely, I called them and they may be willing to set aside the upstairs for my group. Based on your experience dining there, do you think the Upstairs is separated enought from the main dining area for a private group? I must admit I am more impressed with David Drakes menu.

Oh yes, the upstairs is totally separate. In fact, when you walk in the door, the stairs are right there, so no need to walk through the dining rooms on either side.

I truly don't think you'll be disappointed with David Drakes. You can read more reviews and check out photos of the food in this thread

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

There's always Arthur's in North Brunswick. Casual steak, burger & brew joint...

644 Georges Rd

North Brunswick, NJ 08902

(732) 828-1117

edit... my mistake.

they sold out to Harold's deli and are now run differently

http://www.arthurssteakhouse.org/

they apparently kept operations the same but are now run under new ownership. I have no experience here since and cannot back them. Try and tell.

Edited by steakas (log)

:D

Thank you Randi! I am actually talking with The Frog and the Peach.  I looked at David Drakes too after reading about them on Zagat, but they don't have an actual private dining room.  However after reading your comment and looking at their menu more closely, I called them and they may be willing to set aside the upstairs for my group.  Based on your experience dining there, do you think the Upstairs is separated enought from the main dining area for a private group?  I must admit I am more impressed with David Drakes menu.

Did you know David Drake opened another place? It is called Daryl Wine Bar. It's on George Street in New Brunswick. Haven't been there but it looks really nice. And I don't know if they have a private room.

Edited by Randi (log)