• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Breads of Germany

RobertCollins

I recently came back from Hamberg where I ate some of the most amazing breads I've ever tasted.

I want to find a book that will describe and tell me how to make these breads. I

I'm not real interested in pastry but breads and rolls that are savory.

Any and all ideas will be pursued, Thanks.

Robert

Robert

Seattle

It looks like Dan Leader's new bread book Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Bread's from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers contains a number of German bread recipes. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, though, so I can't provide any details.

Here is a thread on baking broetchens (a type of roll from Germany and Austria) that also has some links that may be useful: click

I think there was another thread on cookbooks with recipes for German/Austrian bread but I can't find it just now.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I think there was another thread on cookbooks with recipes for German/Austrian bread but I can't find it just now.

I found the thread on German Baking books right here in the Cookbook forum: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Here is a thread on baking broetchens (a type of roll from Germany and Austria) that also has some links that may be useful: click

Thanks Ludja!

Do you happen to have any good recipes for hearty German loaves? I'm not even sure of the names, since it's been a few decades since I was in Germany.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Thanks Ludja!

Do you happen to have any good recipes for hearty German loaves? I'm not even sure of the names, since it's been a few decades since I was in Germany.

No, unfortunately I don't. I have yet to take a serious stab at bread baking. I don't know too much about German and Austrian breads--besides enjoying them during visits or at German bakeries and restaurants, but besides rye and pumpernickel style breads, many of the hearty loaves seem to often be called "Farmer" or "Country" bread. Besides whatever may be already listed in the linked threads and the suggestion of mukki, above, I'd try looking at books that have collections of artisanal bread recipes, like the Ortiz book, "Village Baker". Although they tend to focus on Italian and French artisanal breads some of the books have a few German recipes.

I'd also be interested in comments from anyone with more information.

It looks like Dan Leader's new bread book Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Bread's from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers contains a number of German bread recipes. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, though, so I can't provide any details.

This is a really excellent book, but unfortunately the only recipes I have made have been out of the French section. I'm about to tackle the Italian ones but have not looked at the German/Austrian parts.

Well thank you to all.

It seems that there is more than enough here already to eat up my week-end with this great start.

After spending a good long time reading the "Charcuterie" thread and then spending a couple weeks in the north of Germany; I can't get enough sausage and bread.

Robert

Seattle

In Frankfurt last week, I went through many, many slices of pumpkin-seed-covered, fresh brown bread, but have no idea of what it was called. I also kept seeing little savory pretzelish things the size of doughnut balls and covered in different spices and coatings (sesame seeds, etc.). Anyone know what either of these might be?

I have never found a dedicated book of German breads. There is a good representation at marions-kockbuch.de, but it is in German. Some of the recipes are available in English.

Let me know if what you find in your searches.

Woods

I recently came back from Hamberg where I ate some of the most amazing breads I've ever tasted.

I want to find a book that will describe and tell me how to make these breads.  I

I'm not real interested in pastry but breads and rolls that are savory.

Any and all ideas will be pursued, Thanks.

Robert

If you can understand German, there are quite a few German bread recipes at the site below, which is mentioned in the Brotchen thread that Ludja linked to. The same author also has a blog with tons of bread recipes, a few of which are in English (though mostly not for traditional German breads).

http://www.petras-brotkasten.de/Brotrezepte.html

http://peho.typepad.com/chili_und_ciabatta/brot/index.html

I've actually been in touch with the author since this thread started, and she has been really helpful. She sent me a link to a traditional German rye sourdough recipe:

http://peho.typepad.com/chili_und_ciabatta...-100-rye-s.html

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...