• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mary Baker & Brad Ballinger Step Down

Chris Amirault

As we announced here, our two crack wine forum hosts, Mary Baker and Brad Ballinger, have stepped down. We thank both Brad and Mary for that volunteer service and look forward to their continued participation as emeritus staff members.

To honor Mary & Brad's service, we've started this Member News topic. Please post your food- and drink-related reminiscences here.

Thanks, Brad and Mary!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Oh, no! Two stars going over the horizon at once! :sad:

I think Brad was the very first person to show me just how quickly a response could come on eGullet. I posted a question about wines or wine shops for a visit to the Twin Cities, not really expecting to get an answer in time. I had, after all, only left myself a week for answers.

Brad answered me within the hour. :laugh:

Mary - ah, Mary, you taught a wonderful wine tasting course, from which I learned tons, and then I got to meet you last May, in person, at the winery. That was a lot of fun.

I do hope you'll both stick around eGullet.

Thanks for doing such great service. You both made me feel welcome, and I've appreciated it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It was a pleasure to work with Mary and Brad when I was on staff. Both of them were very enthusiastic and showed their knowledge very frequently and generously on the boards. I have always found both of them to be genial, gracious, and cooperative, both in public and behind the scenes. My warmest wishes to them on their current and future endeavors!

Michael aka "Pan"

Mary, Thank you for everything you did to make the CA forum lively and interesting. Reading something in DG "from the canyon" always improved a day for me.

Brad, Mary - your wine expertise is so far beyond any aspirations of mine. It was always fascinating to read and learn from you.

Thanks. Fare well!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I certainly hope that this means we'll only hear from Brad and Mary as valued contributors and not hosts. Both voices would be sorely missed if they were absent.

I thank you both for your wisdom and insights. It's made my never ending quest to learn more about, talk more about and drink more wine that much more pleasureable.

Cheers to you both! I look forward to having the honor of raising a glass with both of you in person someday. I'm very much looking forward to that... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I had the pleasure of working with both Mary and Brad for several years. Their hard work made my job easier, and their extensive knowledge made our wine forum one of the best rounded and most educational around. Thanks!

Mary and Brad,

Thank you both for all of your contributions to the Wine (and CA) forum. We worked together for only a short time, but it was a pleasure. I'm looking forward to reading your future posts.

Thanks again,

Pam

I extend my best wishes to both of you. I enjoyed working with you when I was a volunteer. You contributed so much to the eG Society, and thank you for that!

Mary, I am pleased that we met in person and I have enjoyed my visits to your winery. If not before, I plan to visit again when I'm in California for my son's wedding in August. I look forward to seeing you again.

Take care, Mary and Brad. Cheers!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

As host/moderators during the few years I've read it, they stimulated discussion and more or less made the eGullet wine forum. They will certainly be missed!

Good luck -- Max