• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can anyone recommend a knife block?

paulraphael

One that wasn't designed by people with brain damage? And isn't custom?

It's really ridiculous. I just got one (rebranded by Henckels) on Amazon that seemed nice, but I unwrapped it and appears to be designed for a doll house. My bread knife and steel are each over an inch too long! They are not unusually long things.

This strikes me as a reasonable check list:

-standard hardwood or bamboo construction with horizontal slots

-slots for two chefs knives

-room for a 12" steel and 10" bread knife

-slots for 8 to 10 knives total

-no f'ing steak knife slots!

-not built/priced like sculpture or handmade furniture

Am I asking for something unreasonable?

Notes from the underbelly

Yes.

You only need 3 or 4 knives for your kitchen - a chef's knife, a carver/slicing knife, a paring knife and an offset serrated. Get a magnetic strip and those four will fit just fine - and you've saved room on your counter top! Knife blocks are as useful as the Magic Bullet or the 24-piece Ginsu knife set. That is to say, not at all.

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne

Thanks, but I have reasons for not wanting a magnetic strip, and for wanting the knives that I have. In another kitchen a strip might be the solution. Most blocks I see that can handle large knives have too many, not too few slots.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

When I moved and no longer had room for my knife magnet, I had to buy a block, so I know the frustration. I ended up buying this one by Eva Solo. I love it, and recommend it to everyone. It doesn't match your exact criteria, but except for the fact that it's not cheap, I think it will meet your needs.

Although the knives don't fit in horizontally, the blades don't rest against anything. The slots will fit any size knives -- at least, my 10-inch slicer fits in without touching the bottom. In addition, I have three 8-inch chefs knives, a 9-inch off-set bread knife, a 6-inch chef's, two 6-inch utility knives, a paring knife, a boning knife, a 5-inch ceramic knife and my steel. I could easily fit a few more in as well.

The footprint is amazingly small, and the insert (which is basically an accordian-fold piece of plastic) is removable and dishwasher safe, so I think it's more hygienic than a wood block.

i am really enjoying this:

nerf-like knife block

no slots, so any knife can go anywhere you like it. it is oddly satisfying to stick the knives into. i need another one.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Paul, I have the large J.K. Adams block. It fits 270mm gyutos and three to four of them at that. It doesn't fit all your requirements (no f'ing steak knife slots) but it's a solid block that fits longerand shorter knives quite well. Chances are you won't find exactly what you want but a combination of tall block and small magnetic rack (www.benchcrafted.com are awesome) for those hard to fit knives. Just an option.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I also have the Kapoosh block from Bed Bath and Beyond. I have two 10" chefs, two 7" santokus, one 6" boning, one 5" serrated and four 3" paring knives. I like it, although the chefs stick out about an inch.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I tried the Kapoosh and didn't like it, so I'd suggest people buy from somewhere they can return it, just in case.

I did a lot of shopping recently and wound up with the Wusthof model 7263.  It's the only block I found under $100 with slots for a cleaver and my 10", extra-wide chef's knife.  The block is about 11" long at the top so your steel will hang out the back an inch or so, but it will swallow 3 10" knives from tip to bolster with room to spare.  Unfortunately, it has steak knife slots....I use mine for my growing collection of paring knives, but you could always putty them up. ;)

I thought I got a great deal for on EBay, a bit over $40 with shipping, but now cutleryandmore has it on sale for $40:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=6210

MT

Edited by Matt_T (log)

---------------

Matt T

Sorry, I don't know....looking closely at the pics it looks the same length, but the large slots may be narrower. This was my main concern as most blocks have slots 2" wide, and won't fit my 10" chef (or other blades I covet). Also, no cleaver slot in the smaller model.

MT

---------------

Matt T

• 1 month later...

I'm bringing this topic up again because I came across this interesting and very CLEVER solution to compact knife storage that will fit any size knives.

Even better, the design itself is so simple that I believe that many of our handy and DIY-talented members can adapt this to a homemade unit, since they simply consist of boxs filled with bamboo skewers, just snugly enough to allow for blades to be inserted.

Egads! This could solve all kinds of storage problems of odd-shaped and somewhat wierd kitchen tools.

I can picture one holding a cheese plane (which always manages to become entangled in other things when stored in a drawer) or a larding needle, etc.

I could use one just for my icing spatulas.

One need not restrict it to a rectangular shape. How about round, oval or even a triangle, to fit in a corner..

The possibilities are almost endless.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Serious Thumbs Down on the 'Crapoosh ' it Barely takes an 8" blade and mine literally split at the seams after about a month. Cooks Illustrated reported that the Bamboo Skewer box mentioned above tends to shed the skewers as the knives are pulled out..

If I didnt have so much damn stuff, Id set aside a kitchen drawer and install a dedicated in drawer rack, ( which would also allow the option of a lock, in case youre concerned about the kids or are married to Lorena Bobbit.)

The only Bamboo knife block I know of is made by Shun, and it has their logo in nice large letters, although Im sure that it could be covered easily enough..

Although its not wood, THIS ONE seems to fill all of the criteria...although Id call AG russell to make sure that a 10" blade will fit .

Edited by KLwood (log)

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

This is the largest block Wusthof makes and holds a 10" wide cook's and a 10" Cordon Bleu among others including Chinese Cook's knife. I checked and a 12" cook's fits but not the 12" wide cook's. The bottom row is supposed to be for 8 steak knives but I have an assortment of small paring knives in those locations and steak knives are elsewhere.The bigger knives are kept in the drawer pictured below the block and include up to 13" 'BoneSplitter'. Japanese knives are kept seperate in thier sheaths/boxes and implements such as cheese knives, cleavers, meat pounders and saws have thier own storage location. -Dick

WusthofBlock.jpg

Edited by budrichard (log)

I ended up getting the small version of that one (17 slots, I think) and replacing the rubber feet with taller ones, so a 12" steel will fit. It works fine ... like my old one, but room for 2 chef's knives. The scissor slot inspired me to get a pair of wusthof take-apart shears. A bargain at $20 ... I really like them. The steak knife slots are empty. I have fewer than half as many knives as you!

Edited by paulraphael (log)

• 2 years later...

i am really enjoying this:

nerf-like knife block

no slots, so any knife can go anywhere you like it. it is oddly satisfying to stick the knives into. i need another one.

I used the Kapoosh for a while, but have abandoned it. I just could't fit some of my larger knives in it.

I've now moved to a Mag Blok and couldn't be happier. The knives touch nothing but wood and I have more countertop space. Besides, I can more easily admire my new DT blades! :smile:

Never really liked knife blocks. I've gotten them as presents in the past and dutifully used for a few months, then stuck them in a closet.

One of the main reasons is that at home we have two kids and both adults cook. The knife block usually ends up with some kind of crud or water spilled on it.

Lee Valley (www.leevalley.com) has a version of the bamboo skewer filled thingee, but with carbon fiber rods all anchored together at the base. When dirty, slide the rod "package" out and toss in the d/washer.

If you don't like magnetic strips, you can go for teh "professional" option, what butchers use. A knife rack. This is nothing more than a strip of plastic with slots cut in it and totally encase by a s/s sleeve. The whole thing comes apart to clean, will take about 10 knives and is wall mounted. Each knife stays completely separate from the other.

• 4 years later...

I don't like knife blocks for a completely different reason....

I was "gifted" one about 12 years ago, an "upright" version, and so I used it at home.  At that time we had a tiny kitchen with even tinier counter space, and I witnessed the knife block getting darker and darker.  Meh, I thought, it's just the wood aging.  Of course it was coffee spills, water spills, flour and sugar, grease mist from the stove, and gawd knows what else was spilled on that block.  It registered in my mind but I didn't do anything about it.

The block was, delicately put, a cheap p.o.s. and after a year the laminations started to separate, and I needed to toss it out.   Before I tossed it, I had the bright idea of smashing it on the sidewalk to see how many pieces it could split into.  Three.  But as I scooped up the pieces I notice all kinds of crud lodged into the slots.  I've been using magnetic strips ever since.....

• Like 2