• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving Friday

TarteTatin

Eight of us always get together for a very nice meal the day after Thanksgiving.

Four come up to Philly from DC, two come down to Philly from Newtown. And us.

We've gone a few years in the past to the Four Seasons. Two years to the Rittenhouse.

Once to Studio Kitchen. A couple of times to Lambertville and New Hope.

Where to this year?

We like it to be nice. We like to dress up.

We like to "dine" and not be kicked out for another seating.

We've been to Vetri. We've been to James.

Where else should we go?

I was thinking back to the Four Seasons, since we haven't been back in 5 years...

Other suggestions?

Philly Francophiles

these rec's may be a little unusual for this forum but for something completely different... how about wilmington?

you could take the train down and cab over to either Domain Hudson or the Hotel DuPont.

the green room at the hotel definetly fits the fine dining aspect, Domain a little less so, but still a classy place. i 've been to both recently (domaine 3 times in the last month) food and service was excellent each time.

both places have pretty serious wine lists also.

Domaine Hudson is definitely a good idea, with the added benefit of a private room which, if not already booked, is perfect for a party of eight.

As an adjunct to the past experience at Vetri, you might also consider Osteria.

And if you're in the hotel mood, why not LaCroix at the Rittenhouse?

Thanks so much for the recommendations.

We've done two or three years at Lacroix (I wrote Rittenhouse in my earlier email, but meant Lacroix).

Believe it or not, we haven't been to Osteria!

Do you think we could "dine" there, David?

Philly Francophiles

Let me throw a curve to you: Overtures at Passyunk and South. Elegant, refined, and a BYOB. And fabulous food.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

It's funny that Rich mentioned Overture as I'd thought of it as well. I hesitated simply because I haven't been there in several years. I was a semi-regular at one time though and always found it a pleasure, if a bit stuck in its ways. The fact that it's BYO is always an added bonus from my perspective.

As for Osteria, it's certainly more "festive" than Vetri but the food is seriously good. I might suggest calling to ask for one of the slightly more private corner tables. There is a private room, though I suspect it requires a fairly large party to secure it all to yourselves. Turnover can definitely be an issue, particularly on a Friday night. But I don't know what to expect on the Friday following TG.

And I totally missed the Rittenhouse reference in your initial post. Oops....