• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

llc45

What do you recommend at Costco?

1. Who chicken @ .79/lb

2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3. Rice

4. Soy Sauce

5. Milk and Eggs

6. Stainless Steel Roast Pan

7. Napa Style Santoko set of three

8. Lodge Cast Iron skillet 12" and 10" set for $25

9. and Yoshida sauce (the bomb!)

Try the yoshida sauce as a marinade for cornish game hens! I put them on the grill after letting them soak in the sauce for a bit and they come out beautifully browned, and crispy..moist and tender. lovely things.

In the refrigerated section:

The herb-marinated in olive oil fresh mozzarella.

The carnitas and barbacoa.

Carnegie Deli pickle spears.

The uncooked tortillas.

The grape tomatoes.

The romaine lettuce.

The cheese selection (especially now as the Holidays are approaching, they seem to load up on some great stuff. The last couple years they had the Guinness infused cheese for Ireland! yum!).

sliced Salami and sopressata and roast beef.

Organic milk.

Eggs.

Frozen section:

Tilapia loins.

Grocery section:

Columbian Supremo coffee beans.

Chicken Broth.

Long grain rice.

Kirkland Olive oil

Kirkland Balsamic vinegar.

Dried fruits: apple, pear, blueberry, mango.

Bacon Bits

Adult Beverages:

Kirkland triple distilled French Vodka.

****Rotisserie Chicken of course*****

We have a Costco Business store here in Phoenix also. It caters to all kinds of businesses, but restaurants are a huge customer there. Any member can shop there also. Lots of open stock pots and pans (by the piece, not the set). I got a Sitram saucier there for about $30. They had Sitram pressure cookers for around $40 one year. I gave a couple as Christmas presents.

My occasional items at the Costco Business (besides kitchenware) are:

Quarts of heavy cream.

Torani caramel sauce.

Elbow macaroni and egg noodles. (the regular Costco does not stock these)

Wedge of gorgonzola (another thing the regular Costco stopped carrying)

Restaurant rye bread (sold by the loaf).

I <heart> all my Costcos.

(we even have a Costco Home furniture store here......)

Edited by lemniscate (log)

Please note, non-Costco shoppers, the absence of other big box grocery retailers. Having finally made it to a Costco in Coeur d'Alene ID a few months ago, I can personally attest to the quality of Costco relative to, say, the wretched Sam's Club or BJ's stores.

If I lived in the area, I'd have grabbed those wild salmon steaks myself, as well as a few cases of wine.

Chris Amirault

camirault@eGstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I always get their pasturized lump crab in a can, in the refrigerated section. Also, their 3-pack of baby back ribs and U-12 frozen raw shrimp. And when they're on sale, their Alaskan king crab legs are great.

Are you sure its Lump Crab? I always thought it was leg meat?

They do have both in virtually identical cans, if its the same brand I am thinking of, "Philips". The cans look the same but its contents are shown in small print whether its lump, or not. My local Food Lion made a mistake, I guess, and sold the 'lump' cans for a little over $5. Stupid me, I only bought two!!!

In the refrigerated section:

The herb-marinated in olive oil fresh mozzarella.

The carnitas and barbacoa.

Carnegie Deli pickle spears.

The uncooked tortillas.

The grape tomatoes.

The romaine lettuce.

The cheese selection (especially now as the Holidays are approaching, they seem to load up on some great stuff.  The last couple years they had the Guinness infused cheese for Ireland! yum!).

sliced Salami and sopressata and roast beef.

Organic milk.

Eggs.

Frozen section:

Tilapia loins.

Grocery section:

Columbian Supremo coffee beans.

Chicken Broth.

Long grain rice.

Kirkland Olive oil

Kirkland Balsamic vinegar.

Dried fruits: apple, pear, blueberry, mango.

Bacon Bits

Adult Beverages:

Kirkland triple distilled French Vodka. 

****Rotisserie Chicken of course*****

We have a Costco Business store here in Phoenix also.  It caters to all kinds of businesses, but restaurants are a huge customer there.  Any member can shop there also.  Lots of open stock pots and pans (by the piece, not the set).  I got a Sitram saucier there for about $30.  They had Sitram pressure cookers for around $40 one year.  I gave a couple as Christmas presents.

My occasional items at the Costco Business (besides kitchenware) are:

Quarts of heavy cream.

Torani caramel sauce.

Elbow macaroni and egg noodles. (the regular Costco does not stock these)

Wedge of gorgonzola (another thing the regular Costco stopped carrying)

Restaurant rye bread (sold by the loaf).

I <heart> all my Costcos.

(we even have a Costco Home furniture store here......)

I always check out the carnitas but never tried them. What is barbacoa?

A business Costco and a Home furniture Costco???? I am way jealous.

1. Who chicken @ .79/lb

2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3. Rice

4. Soy Sauce

5. Milk and Eggs

6. Stainless Steel Roast Pan

7. Napa Style Santoko set of three

8. Lodge Cast Iron skillet 12" and 10" set for $25

9. and Yoshida sauce (the bomb!)

I am not familiar with Yoshida sauce. Do you just use it as a marinade?

No one has mentioned my favorite item, the Australian racks of lamb at ca. $9.95/lb. Marinate them with a little soy and your choice of red pepper (piment d'espelette in our house) and they rock. I'm also fond of the frozen shrimp and the various fish from Blue Hill Bay (Acme smoked fish of Brooklyn) I get the smoked Atlantic Salmon as well as the dirt cheap whitefish salad. I recently had the pleasure of a behind the scenes tour at Acme and got to see the machine that turns a whitefish into salad. I'm a big believer in the adage that you do not want to see how laws or sausage are made, but there was nothing scary about this process. (I must admit I purchased a piece of Acme's smoked wild salmon while there, and it was a notch more delicious.)

Has anyone noted how hopeless Costco is in many wine regions where one might expect them to really score, Spain in particular?

Also, I would mention the Kirkland Toscano extra virgin olive oil. It's a fall harvest, so last years crop has been sold out at my Costco, but the 2007 harvest will be available again, fresh and delicious, in the spring.

I definitely can't wait to see what I think of Costco olive oil. Two other things that I know of (from other people) are the frozen cream puffs and the super size box of yeast. My FIL's wife brings their frozen cream puffs to just about every party she goes to and sometimes passes them off as her own. She just defrosts, puts them on a nice platter, and drizzles them with chocolate sauce. I remember being quite impressed (thinking they were hers) the first time that I had them.

Also, I have a friend that bakes a lot that bought the industrial size box of yeast and just keeps it in her freezer. She figures that she's had it for 2-3 yrs and said it still works great. She never has to worry if she has yeast on hand and it is an economical alternative to buying the packets of yeast.

I always get the yeast there. Even if you waste half of it, it's still lots cheaper than buying at the store. When I used to bake a lot, I would also buy the 50 pound bags of flour.

I just got back from Costco; a typical busy Saturday afternoon there. I saw a blue oval Le Creuset French oven for $150. I thought it said 8 quart, but could have been 5. It looks like a limited time item, probably for the holidays.

Another thing I got recently from Costco, not food related though, was financing for my car, at a lower rate than my long-time bank offered me. Hmm.

I always get the yeast there.  Even if you waste half of it, it's still lots cheaper than buying at the store.  When I used to bake a lot, I would also buy the 50 pound bags of flour.

I just got back from Costco; a typical busy Saturday afternoon there.  I saw a blue oval Le Creuset French oven for $150.  I thought it said 8 quart, but could have been 5.  It looks like a limited time item, probably for the holidays.

Another thing I got recently from Costco, not food related though, was financing for my car, at a lower rate than my long-time bank offered me.  Hmm.

How do you store the yeast? I am definitely not a prolific baker and worry that I would waste it. If you do not freeze it, do you have any idea how long it keeps?

I saw the Creuset Dutch oven too....it was $168 for the 8 qt oval at Vacaville Costco. That's a pretty good deal for 1st quality, though you can get a similar (maybe better) price anytime on a cosmetic second down the road at the Vacaville LC outlet. They had different colors, red and blue at least, at the Vacaville CC.

I also noted the Tramontina sku as promised, but unfortunately can't find the scrap of paper I wrote it down on! But it is definitely called the Tramontina 5 quart stainless deep saute, if that helps anybody.

---------------

Matt T

as well as the dirt cheap whitefish salad.
My latest guilty pleasure.

I'm with many on the olive oil, vinegar, paper/cleaning products, bananas, limes, cheese and coffee.

Also

Kirkland Japanese Green Tea (ITO EN)

Ling Ling chicken/veg dumplings

The hoa kow when they had them (so sad they are gone)

Kirkland organic peanut butter

Garafalo spaghetti

Organic free range chicken broth (for starting Gai Pho on lazy days)

Empire frozen chicken breasts

First-cut brisket twice a year

Rotisserie chickens

Muir Glen organic diced tomatoes in winter

Books and DVDs

Canon printer ink cartridges

The latest purchase, a Bionaire 36-hour humidifier with permanent filter for under $50. But I did have my eye on the Le Creuset.

We'll have a Costco in Tallahassee sometime next year.

I'm most looking forward to the Kirkland brand dog food and their $19.99 42" dog beds (we have 14 of them, puchased at an Atlanta Costco)!

A friend in CA gets awesome bread at the Bakersfield store... it's called Portugese something... He owned a restaurant for years and is a genius in the kitchen. I assumed he'd made the bread. He fessed up and told me it came from Costco! I don't know if that's available at all the stores. I hope so.

Gee, Pam, I can't imagine why you'd want that dog food and dog beds!

(God it's weird when your worlds collide...)

My local Costco is a great source for cheese: real Parmesan and even Rouge et Noir cheeses from the Marin French Cheese Co.

Family of 2 - 6.

I've always passed up on the olive oil thinking it was a second pressing or inferior quality, now I'll have to pick some up. Likewise on the chicken broth!

We always get meats there, break up the packages and re-seal using our Food-Saver. Great beef and lamb. I also love the Philips Lump crabmeat. At $14-$16 a pound, its a great deal and I try to keep a couple in the fridge for last minute entertaining.

We miss the Talking Rain sparkling water! And I LOVE the dried mango strips.

This thread reminded me of a really fun one we had a while back. It was something of a cookoff with products purchased at Costco, or other favorite large discounter.

Costco A-Go-Go, A Challenge

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I also love the Philips Lump crabmeat.  At $14-$16 a pound, its a great deal and I try to keep a couple in the fridge for last minute entertaining.

We miss the Talking Rain sparkling water!  And I LOVE the dried mango strips.

Yeah - that crabmeat is great. Just added dried mango strips to "the list". I'll have to post the next time I go shopping to list all the things I've added thnx to this thread. I'm in the process of getting new tile and counters in my kitchen so it's going to have to wait a few weeks.

This thread reminded me of a really fun one we had a while back.  It was something of a cookoff with products purchased at Costco, or other favorite large discounter.

:smile: That sounds like it was a lot fun. After reading thru it, I realize lots of people get "great buys" at costco on lots of things they didn't know they needed. I'm not alone!

Edited by llc45 (log)

The yeast stays fine in the fridge in a closed container--it lasts months and months; I'm not sure how long. I just made bread with some yeast that I bought who knows when, and it was perfect.

I have also had the yeast last for months. buy it, split it with a friend, and you never worry about running out of yeast!

Phillippine Mangos, Crabmeat, Great selection of cheeses, Olive oil, Lemons, Limes, Trio of peppers, Bananas, snacks for kids, Spiral Ham, books, cleaning supplies, frozen spinach ravioli (I know, I should make my own..but its a good fast meal when I need it!), christmas gifts, packaging, ribbon...

We also have the business costco and costco home in the area.

come to think of it, what don't I get at costco???

oh, and the Maui costco has this amazing Macademia Popcorn crunch, which I consume a whole container of once a year!

I can add my vote for the baby back ribs. I buy them in the Vancouver downtown store, and they are fabulous. Very, very meaty.

Life is short, eat dessert first

People missed a couple of my favorites:

1) Pine nuts @ $12 for a 2 lbs bag.

2) Canned tomatoes @ 1.20 a can

3) Barilla Pasta @ 86 cents a box

my go-for items are gas in the car, dried plums, organic frozen blueberries, and a quick run through the kitchen section