• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where To Get...Good Homemade Pasta

emilymarie

Hi all,

I need your help again (last question was about cheese and I now have 2 new go-to cheese shops on): I am catering a dinner party on Saturday and need 2 things--good fresh salmon and good homemade pasta.

Re pasta: I usually get my homemade pasta from Maria's b/c it's close-ish to my house. Is that the best around and does anyone know off-hand if I can special order a cut of pasta, like pici or a long cavatappi?

Re fish: I was thinking of special ordering from the Market Basket in Franklin Lakes and was thinking some kind of wild salmon. No farmed salmon. Is there another good fish resource in the U. Montclair area that I should go to instead of Market Basket?

Thanks in advance for your help!

:rolleyes:

Emily

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I don't know if you can special-order from them, but you might call the Pasta Shop in Lyndhurst Pasta Shop web page

There are also a lot of terrific REAL Italian delis here in Lyndhurst...Lentina's is the first one that comes to mind if the Pasta Shop can't help you. Let us know how you do!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Re fish: I was thinking of special ordering from the Market Basket in Franklin Lakes and was thinking some kind of wild salmon. No farmed salmon. Is there another good fish resource in the U. Montclair area that I should go to instead of Market Basket?

Thanks in advance for your help!

:rolleyes:

Emily

Give Tom at Caldwell Seafood a call. They have an excellent supply of extremely fresh fish.

My other suggestion is the Whole Foods in West Orange (Prospect Avenue at Eagle Rock). An enormous, jaw dropping presentation of fish.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

hello there,

as with all things whole foods, if you're going to get your fish there, befriend the dep't. manager, so you can get the real story about when the fish came in, which was frozen, and have them let you poke it/smell it, etc.

i have had too many experiences there with fish that did not smell like the sea, if you know what I mean.

i have catered using their fish, but only after some interrogation (in a nice way, mais oui!) .

if you're aching for fresh fish and pasta that is just so for your party, don't forget there's new york city very very close.

you can be at chelsea market and The Lobster Place within 30 mins from U. MTC if you drive in at non-rush hour times.

you can always write me offline if you want to know more.

After asking some people around the office, I've decided to go with Citarella in the city. And I think I'll go with Maria's for the pasta. They've been good in the past, and my ability to run around is slightly restricted due to FT work schedule.

Thanks for all of the suggestions though. I've never actually been to Via Mia, though they're right in the old neighborhood so to speak.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Late to the party here, but I will add that Belgiovine's in Montclair has fresh store-made pasta Thurs-Sun - fettucine / spaghetti / cavatelli, though not always all at the same time, but always the killer ravioli.

I get 99% of my seafood from the Montclair Whole Foods & I've never gotten a bad item from them. But then I seem to have a good eye for the stuff.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845