• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaged Tempura "Balls"

GlorifiedRice

I know Kristin said her husband loves Tempura Balls in his soup and

I picked these up today:

http://www.hanilfood.com/index.html?subi=2...type=soup&pn=8#

Its a mix to sprinkle into soup etc. Its Tempura Balls, Omelet flakes, green onion, nori and tiny Kamaboku chips.

Not sure if youve seen these yet but here they are...

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

around here noodle shops usually have a "all you can eat" bucket of tenkasu or ika tenkasu on the counter. I like to eat the noodles and then soak up the remaining soup with heaps of ika tenkasu. The best shops have real tenkasu that are left over from making tempura but this seems to be the exception not the rule. Ive never seen a mix like that before though.

around here noodle shops usually have a "all you can eat" bucket of tenkasu or ika tenkasu on the counter. I like to eat the noodles and then soak up the remaining soup with heaps of ika tenkasu. The best shops have real tenkasu that are left over from making tempura but this seems to be the exception not the rule. Ive never seen a mix like that before though.

I know this is practiced in Kansai (Osaka?) only. In Kanto, you have to order "tanuki" udon or soba if you want tenkasu on your udon or soba.